Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SteyrAUG
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My story. Want to start training karate, but I'm confuse Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
I have been lurking in the forum for a while, and finding many post very helpful. Hopefully I can get some good feedback and answers to my situation.

I have always been interested in MA, and have always had a wish to reach a level in a MA where I master the basics and the training becomes a integrated part of my life.

Now I have decided to really do something about my dreams. I'm not getting younger (36 now) and I'm not getting in good shape (now 6'4" and 240lbs) by just dreaming. Now is the time for action.

15 years ago I started training Aikido. I loved it. Expecially the fokus on the mind. Finding peace and calmness in your mind, at the same time as getting in shape, is exactly what I want.

The dojo had gradings once a year. I worked hard and was looking forward to being tested and beeing recognized for what I had learned.
Two months before the grading, I got sick (bad flu combined with asthma) and had to take a break for 3 weaks. After the break I was motivated and working even harder to reach my first goal. A week before the grading, my sensai told me that my 3 week pause, disqualifid me for the grading, and that I should take a break and start with the new beginners the following year. I felt like 1 years of hard training 2-3 days a week, was a waste and I quit. My dreams of MA were gone. I felt disrespected and treated like dirt.

Well that is the first problem I see. How would you have felt if you busted your butt but still didn't pass because you simply weren't ready? Would you have still quit? Honestly it sounds like your teacher was trying to help you. Also a big part of systems like Aikido is getting past yourself and you really didn't accomplish that either.

You killed your dream. You could have simply done as recommended and tested the next time around with a lot of experience under your belt.

Joppe wrote:

Some years later the dream of MA returned. This time I went to a Iado/Kendo dojo and got my motivation back. It was a great MA, but just as my motivation came back and my dream was alive, the dojo closed down because of bad leadership and economical problems.

Once again I felt like running into a wall. Was I not meant to train MA? Why a setback everytime I wanted to make a drem come true?

Because things happen. Dreams are "goals without a plan." Identify your goal and make a plan, have a contingency plan. I don't think there is a single experienced martial artist here who hasn't gone through all the things that so far have stopped you. We all went to Plan B then Plan C when they happened.

Joppe wrote:

Well, years have gone by. A wife and a kid is now in the picture, and they have taken all my time and money, but now my dream om MA has returned.

Investigating the different MA styles in my city, I have decided that karate is what I want, But it is a big city, and tons of dojos fokusing on just as many different styles of karate.

I try to read everything I can, but I am still confused about what style that would fit me. What I am looking for is:

*A style focused on the power of the mind as much as the power of the fist. Calmness, selfcontrol and security means more to me, than beeing able to beat people up in a different ways.

*I value tradition and respect, and expect that to be a natural part of the training.

* It does not have to be realistic. I have not needed streetfighting skills for my first 36 years, I doubt I will need it in the future. I am not the guy that gets in fights.

*Grading should be a natural part of the learning process. I dont see gradings and belts as something exclusive, where every single grading should take years to achieve. In other words - rather many gradings in the beginning to keep the motivation up, and fewer and more demanding the more experienced I get.

* A good way to get in shape (I know food means more than excersize, but it would be great if the training could help getting me in shape).

So all you karateexperts out there. What style will you recommend? Shotokan? Kyokushin? Goju-ryu or something completely else?

I would recommend you not go looking for answers from others. You are very easily discouraged so that is your first actual obstacle to training. The first thing that concerns me is it sounds like each time you ceased training at the school you also ceased practicing what you knew. You had almost a year of Aikido and it doesn't sound like you maintained any of it.

99% of schools will have something like a low cost "trial / introductory" program. I would "demo" every school nearby. I wouldn't go too far because you might be easily discouraged by the distance when it becomes something you must do several times a week. Similarly you are going to need to find something that fits your budget or you won't continue your training due to financial hardship.

If and when you find the schools that satisfy all those requirements simply choose the one that feels "best" to "you." Then train for the sake of developing skill. Who cares what belt you have or if you have tested yet. If you are learning and developing that is the ONLY thing that matters.

Did you dream of being a martial artist or did you dream of having high rank? You need to realize that rank has almost nothing to do with being a martial artist.

Perhaps your time would be better spent returning to your Aikido dojo and finishing what you started rather than being easily put off and chasing around from this school to that school trying to find something that only exists inside you and that only you can change.

SteyrAUG
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
Thanks for the input Harkon.

I have been looking into the different clubs in the city, and visited a few of them yesterday nad today.

I was surprised that most of them seemed 'dodgy' (old warehouses and people with a little too many tribal tattoos kind of club).

But I found some that left a good impression. When it comes down to the clubs and the atmosphere, my options are shotokan and Gyu-ryu.

Maybe I should just take the free beginners classes both places, and see what I like the most.

You should be aware that legitimate martial arts, being mostly just hard work, tend to not be money makers like those selling "false dreams of grandeur" and the facilities generally indicate that kind of limited budget.

As far as people with tribal tattoos, while I personally don't care for them, sometimes the kind of person who is going to fully devote himself to something like martial arts training is also the kind of person who isn't afraid to make permanent decisions like getting a tattoo.

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, MMA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteyrAUG wrote:
Joppe wrote:
Thanks for the input Harkon.

I have been looking into the different clubs in the city, and visited a few of them yesterday nad today.

I was surprised that most of them seemed 'dodgy' (old warehouses and people with a little too many tribal tattoos kind of club).

But I found some that left a good impression. When it comes down to the clubs and the atmosphere, my options are shotokan and Gyu-ryu.

Maybe I should just take the free beginners classes both places, and see what I like the most.

You should be aware that legitimate martial arts, being mostly just hard work, tend to not be money makers like those selling "false dreams of grandeur" and the facilities generally indicate that kind of limited budget.

As far as people with tribal tattoos, while I personally don't care for them, sometimes the kind of person who is going to fully devote himself to something like martial arts training is also the kind of person who isn't afraid to make permanent decisions like getting a tattoo.

I must say that your last couple posts here, have been great in demotivating me and make me feel like I'm not good enough or not 'worthy' to train MA.

I don't see my demands and wishes, as beeing lazy or not committed. I want quality and I'm not interested in getting all motivated to commit to MA, just to be knocked down by a lousy run dojo or an instructor that thinks he is god because he has a black belt. I have been there, done that, and not interested in doing it again.

I have found a great club now. I club and an instructor that meet all my demands and even makes me aware of all the important things I have never considered.

When it comes to tattoos, I dont mind them at all. I have both my arms and one leg sleeved in irezumi-style tattoos. What I dont like is stepping in to a dojo and feel like I have stepped in to a episode of 'Sons of Anarchy'

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome that you found a dojo? Tell us about the dojo! (Like what style it is).

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
That's awesome that you found a dojo? Tell us about the dojo! (Like what style it is).

It is Shotokan (JKA) with a very traditional approach in the lower grades, and more sport oriented in the higher. Serious when it should be, relaxed when it can be.

Great group of instructors ranging from shodan to godan, and the adult classes has a great variation in the age of the students (I am 37 and far from the youngest beginner).

The dojo has lots of social activities besides training , so it is really easy to feel welcome and a part of the dojo right away (very motivating those days when dragging oneself to the dojo seems like a heavy task).

In few words it is serious, traditional, competitive and very social.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great dojo!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

dkdrewkellison
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: icho yama ryu jujutsu daito ryu aiki jujutsu Gracie jiujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? If i may ask. Sensei 8 is correct in my school you dont ask for promotion . The highest ranked yudansha informs sensei if you are ready and then he will test. Each art has its own thing to offer. But judging by your interest in the ways of the sword and aikido a good style of japanese jujutsu may fit. Then i am biased. It ultimately depends on what you like. And feel comfortable with.

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkdrewkellison wrote:
Where do you live? If i may ask. Sensei 8 is correct in my school you dont ask for promotion . The highest ranked yudansha informs sensei if you are ready and then he will test. Each art has its own thing to offer. But judging by your interest in the ways of the sword and aikido a good style of japanese jujutsu may fit. Then i am biased. It ultimately depends on what you like. And feel comfortable with.

I live in nortern europe.

I have found a great Shotokan karate club and looking forward to practicing there for many years to come.
I still have interest in weapon training, but I'm sure I can combine the karate with weapons when the time is right (no hurry for me).

Gradings are twice a year for adults, and my focus is to be good enough for the sensei to ask me to grade when the grading date comes. Asking for grading is a no go here, and saying no to grade if the sensei asks you is considered unpolite.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found a dojo!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
Zaine wrote:

It is Shotokan (JKA) with a very traditional approach in the lower grades, and more sport oriented in the higher. Serious when it should be, relaxed when it can be.

Great group of instructors ranging from shodan to godan, and the adult classes has a great variation in the age of the students (I am 37 and far from the youngest beginner).

The dojo has lots of social activities besides training , so it is really easy to feel welcome and a part of the dojo right away (very motivating those days when dragging oneself to the dojo seems like a heavy task).

In few words it is serious, traditional, competitive and very social.

Sounds like you did find a great place to train. Keep us posted as to your progress, and we look forward to reading about your journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: