Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, MMA

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

2 weeks until my first grading. I feel good about it. More excited than nervous, but I'm sure the nerves will come the closer I get to the date.

I have the curiculum and know what is expected from me. I feel pretty confident for most of the curiculum but some things I am struggling with. The hardest is keage moving in kiba-dachi (I am struggling getting control of the left leg/hip and keeping the stance low while kicking).

I only have classes twice a week, so 5 months of training before grading has been perfect.

But with only two classes a week, I've had trouble reaching a decent level of conditioning (and loosing weight) to feel good about the karate training. My karate training twice a week has not been enough to gain the conditioning I need. Maybe it will change further on in the future.

To help me get in shape faster I have taken a mma class and doing some running and heavybag workout every week. It has been great and boosted my conditioning so that I am more focused during the karate class.

Now I am really looking forward to the grading and to show the senseis what I have learned.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with everything.

As far as moving in Kiba Dachi, I always try to tell students to focus on keeping their heads on the same level when they're walking. To pretend they're in a room where the ceiling is too low for them to stand up straight. That usually gets them to focus on the correct mechanics. Once you get it, your muscle memory will help keep you doing it right.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
Update

2 weeks until my first grading. I feel good about it. More excited than nervous, but I'm sure the nerves will come the closer I get to the date.

I have the curiculum and know what is expected from me. I feel pretty confident for most of the curiculum but some things I am struggling with. The hardest is keage moving in kiba-dachi (I am struggling getting control of the left leg/hip and keeping the stance low while kicking).

I only have classes twice a week, so 5 months of training before grading has been perfect.

But with only two classes a week, I've had trouble reaching a decent level of conditioning (and loosing weight) to feel good about the karate training. My karate training twice a week has not been enough to gain the conditioning I need. Maybe it will change further on in the future.

To help me get in shape faster I have taken a mma class and doing some running and heavybag workout every week. It has been great and boosted my conditioning so that I am more focused during the karate class.

Now I am really looking forward to the grading and to show the senseis what I have learned.

Congrats on your progression and upcoming test!

I would suggest (to help your conditioning) doing other exercises outside of karate. If you do too much of one thing you will plateau to the point where the exercise doesn't do as much for your body as it did at first, this is why a lot of programs change up what kind of exercises you're doing after a set time period. If you're wanting more endurance, the heavybag workout is a great way to go, but don't discount a nice jog/run.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Joppe wrote:
Update

Congrats on your progression and upcoming test!

I would suggest (to help your conditioning) doing other exercises outside of karate. If you do too much of one thing you will plateau to the point where the exercise doesn't do as much for your body as it did at first, this is why a lot of programs change up what kind of exercises you're doing after a set time period. If you're wanting more endurance, the heavybag workout is a great way to go, but don't discount a nice jog/run.
I agree with Zaine here. Although Karate can be a good workout, and help you lose weight, it probably isn't the direct goal of your instructor to design the classes around weight loss. Take up some jogging or other cardio exercises to supplement your training, and I think you will see the results you are looking for. Good luck, and let us know how the testing goes.

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice

I had my first grading last friday. It went well.
I graded from 10 kyo to 8 kyo.

I was nervous and made some small mistakes in the beginning of the kihon test (mostly because the nervousness) but the kata and kumite went great.

I got good fedback. I need to improve on the kombination of relaxing and kime. Relax when I should relax, and use power when I should use power. I tend to be too tense in the body all the time

It was a good experience and I learned much

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news...congratulations on your 8th kyu...well deserved. Feels great, huh?!?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, congratulations!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the promotion!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update:

I passed 7 kyu yesterday. Great experience. The training is getting more and more demanding, but at the same time the grading feels more awarding.

Just like last time I had some small problems with the kihon, but I felt good about the Kata and Kumite.

Time to buy a new belt

The training is going really well. Since I started this thread in the forum (almost a year ago), I have lost 40 lbs. Last week I finished a 10K run under 60 minutes. My wife tells me I have become more relaxed and happier since I started Karate. My life has really changed.

Thanks again for the all the help and guidance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: