Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate (Various Styles), Kuk Sool Won, American Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: My terrible TKD experience. Reply with quote

Btw, this is not a rip on TKD, but the instructor. So anyway, I am known by my Goju sparring partner as Mule because of my powerful kicks. So, I kid of wanted to go to a TKD school and see if I compared to them. I read online about a place with a 30-day trial. "SWEET," I thought.

So I get to the place and the instructor is your typical guy who probably got picked on in school. I didn't judge. I shook his hand respectfully like I do when I meet anyone, and without knowing me, he clearly squeezes my hand as hard as he can instead of a respectful firm grip. Didn't bother me too bad, so I took my first free class.

He then proceeded to pair me with a 6'6 2nd Dan black belt to spar with. I'm like, "ok, he is just pairing me with someone who has good control." WRONG. I saw him whisper to him in the corner while we were gearing up. Okay, I'm getting annoyed by this point. First thing he does is go for a full speed kick to the head. I caught it, and I said "This is supposed to be light contact." He then tries a spinning back kick, and I tackled him out of rage and started a ground and pound. They then told me not to come back. What the heck?

Bad school, bad instructor, bad experience.

"It's not about who's right, but who's left" -Ed Parker

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear this. As a TKD instructor, this kind of behavior irritates me. I don't know if this guy thought you were trying to come in and prove something, or what, but the tact he took was completely out of line, and very disrespectful.

Did you inform the instructor of your prior experiences? If so, then like I said, I'm ashamed of his approach here. If you didn't, then I think this guy has some issues with how he runs his school.

At any rate, I hope you don't judge every TKD school to be like this one, because we are not.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about this experience for you. Its a shame your exposure to TKD had to be negative.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't tell him about my previous experience. That's why it aggravated me so much. It's like he wanted me to see how great they were. It backfired. They were awful.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha One Four wrote:
I didn't tell him about my previous experience. That's why it aggravated me so much. It's like he wanted me to see how great they were. It backfired. They were awful.

Sadly there are bad people in every style. By bad I mean morally inept and egotistical individuals.

I'd say look for another TKD school to see if they are a better fit for your cross-training/experiment.

JohnnyB
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan 2nd Kyu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I can't believe I'm reading that.

In your first day they put you through full contact sparring when they knew u had no MA experience! You should have stayed there and finish them up one by one!

They said: ''Leave and don't come back...''
You should have answered: ''Make me!''
Damn... u should go to that other infamous MMA forum (that we are not allowed to mention here) and post your experience and name the club and instructor so that everyone knows what's going on in that dojo.

I have heard a similar experience from a girl friend of mine when she took her first TKD lesson they hit her in the stomach so hard (with protective gear on) that she couldn't continue the lesson and she never came back after this.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha One Four wrote:

That's just nuts. I'm sorry that your experience turned out this way. There are good TKD schools out there. I hope you keep searching.

Alpha One Four
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Alpha One Four wrote:

That's just nuts. I'm sorry that your experience turned out this way. There are good TKD schools out there. I hope you keep searching.

Thanks, and I know there are great schools out there. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options in my area. So, I'm going to stick with my karate and boxing, which is all I can really do. Too bad I don't live near a Kuk Sool school. Ah well. Thanks guys.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say, I would rather have a small class of humble martial artists, than huge class of who's.
A shame you had a bad experience. I'm thankful that you could defend yourself against the idiot with the flashy kicks.

A question, was it WTF, ITF, ATA or another TKD derived style like Choi Kwang Do etc?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Choi Kwang Do; I don't think they emphasize any contact at all in their sparring, from what I've read of it.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the instructor sounds like a right idiot. Sorry you had a bad experience. But don't let this put you off TKD; there are loads of good schools out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: