Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pariah667
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin-ryu, kobudo, kenjitsu, WMA,Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: New Dojo.....no students? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone can give some advice on gaining and keeping new students at a new dojo. Were in a small town with big mma clubs, and 3 other established dojos! We got a decent amount of interest at first but its been quiet. The other instructors in the area have felt a decline aswell...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how small is the town? If it's 15k or less, 3-4 schools of the MA are 1 too many. Also, other than the MMA club, what are the other styles of the MA are offered in the town? What's the demographics of those schools, and yours? Are the other MA schools battling low student counts during certain annual sporting events in your town, like baseball or basketball or football through independent organizations and/or K-12 public schools, or are they just suffering in general?

However, and please don't take offense to what I'm about to say, please, I only mean to offer a suggestion...Not all black belts can teach!! If one can't teach, then the school is doomed before it ever started.

Consumers, and MA students are just that, are quite particular when it comes to enrolling their kids into anything, and the MA suffers from that as any business does that depends on body counts on the floor. Generally speaking, consumers are quite particular about how they want to spend their hard earned money; just because it's the MA, isn't a guarantee that they'll show up in droves...it's more like a trickle and not a flood.

Are you doing any marketing at all? You have to your share, and much more than that! If the consumer...aka...prospective students don't know what services you offer, and that you're there, then cobwebs will show up before any prospective student. How's your signing just outside of your school? Large? Medium? Small? How are you getting their interest?? You've got to get them to look your way before they can see you, and if they can't see you, then one might as well not ever open the doors. Are you doing any demo's...anywhere??

Are you wanting to teach only adults, and not kids, or vice versa?? Adults don't want to train with kids, and parents don't want their kids to train with adults.

Don't forget this...

The squeaky wheel gets oiled first!! MMA is on a high right now, and has been, and might continue for some time, and that simply means that consumers want "THAT" and nothing else, no matter is the other schools have done, and are doing everything absolutely right...the rage of the page IS...MMA and BJJ.

So, adapt or die!! If you can't attract students because you've no MMA or BJJ or grappling, then that hill of success will be quite difficult to climb, if at all. But wait, it's still not the end, find the niche that separates you from the others in a positive light, and then expand that with all that you're worth!!

How's the tone in your school? Harsh? Kind? Drill Sargent? How's the lighting in the school both in and out? Do you offer lockers? Do you have any bathrooms? Do you have water fountains?

Can you look objectively at everything honestly and ask yourself this...

Do I want to try this school of the MA or not?? Why or why not??

Hang in there, be patient, and strive for what the other schools aren't!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sensei8 said are you offering more than just Karate at your school?

Because I have spoken to many parents and they have said to me that if they would enroll their child or even themselves into a club if that club offered multiple things for students to potentially undertake. I know a couple of clubs that are near where I live that teach not only Karate but also teach weapons, BJJ, Muay Thai and Self Defense Classes. They are successful because it gives the consumer options to what they want to learn.

For instance I am looking for locations currently that can fit a Dojo and a gym in the one building. Of which would be on the ground floor being 60% Gym & 40% Mat Space, then on the 1st Floor being 60% Mat Space & 40% Gym for Martial Artists. In which I would be having options for people to train in the gym or undertake martial arts training.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attracting new students and keeping them, then you need students that are willing to have a short or long term commitment with you. What are you offering which is better or different than your competitors? What could you offer that is new and exiting? Ask your pontial students with a simple survey. Ask them what they would like. Get their feedback and respond back to them via email. Then offer a short free introductory class. Maybe it is self-defense that they want. Or health and fitness. Could be to learn about other cultures. For fill their needs. Know your customers wants and needs first. Maybe it is a commitment issue then adapt. Maybe it is tuition fees that is the deterrent. Could be inconvenient class timetables. Or potential injuries might be a factor. Ask them ...

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Attracting new students and keeping them, then you need students that are willing to have a short or long term commitment with you. What are you offering which is better or different than your competitors? What could you offer that is new and exiting? Ask your pontial students with a simple survey. Ask them what they would like. Get their feedback and respond back to them via email. Then offer a short free introductory class. Maybe it is self-defense that they want. Or health and fitness. Could be to learn about other cultures. For fill their needs. Know your customers wants and needs first. Maybe it is a commitment issue then adapt. Maybe it is tuition fees that is the deterrent. Could be inconvenient class timetables. Or potential injuries might be a factor. Ask them ...

To the bolded section of your post, often clubs don't advertise their training fees although majority of clubs have different types of memberships (may differ in what they offer or otherwise) at different prices.

In relation to Inconvenient Class Times, I have found that 90% of classes are held at a time that is normally best for that age bracket. For instance my dojo does the following:

Monday

4 - 5 pm Juniors (White + Yellow Belts)
5 - 6 pm Juniors (Orange - Green Belts)
6 - 7 pm Juniors (Purple - Black Belts)
7 - 8 pm Seniors (White - Red Belts)
8 - 9 pm Seniors (Green - Black Belts)

As such our youngest students go first and then our oldest later on.

Our youngest students are 6 years old and currently our oldest is 65.

My old dojo's Hombu operated at a similar timeframe, but also operated a Mighty Mites Class which was for 4 + 5 Year Olds between 3:15 and 3:45 pm.

Now why do we start at 4 instead of 3 you ask? It is because schools here in Victoria, Australia finish between 3 and 3:30 pm so parents would have to come pick their child up from school and then have the chance to drop their child off in class.

Although i know a few clubs that operate their Juniors Classes anywhere between 5 & 8 pm which is rather late for 6 year olds to commence their training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: