Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Madd_Ha77
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenshinkan- karate-do

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: New to Karate Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Chris and I'm "new"

I came across a style of karate called kenshinkan, love the style it's great for my depression and anxiety, as well as temper. However my work schedule has picked after a few classes about of month; but I also work as a trainer in a kickboxing circuit gym so they have bags and the space for training. I haven't had time to attend a class since, but I remember certain techniques (striking, footwork, kicks, my 1st kata, defense) and have been practicing. Is this the right approach for the time restrictions that I have, I work in the gym everyday.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing Wrong with practising what you learn inside the dojo whenever you can, I encourage it in fact, obviously don't over do it too much at the start, and do try to get to class as much as you can, too much practise out of the dojo without guidance can pick up bad habits...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct practise is more important than the amount of practise. The next time you speak with your sensei ask him for a couple of techniques to practise and make sure you know exactly what he wants before you leave.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice out of the Dojo is key. Like mushybees says, practice correctly, even if it is a few foundational techniques at a time. Practice slowly at first to focus on proper technique and build up muscle memory, then incorporate speed increases. The saying is that if you cannot perform slowly, you cannot perform quickly.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, Chris! Like stated earlier, training outside the dojo when you can't be there is a great idea. Most instructors would encourage it. Touch base with the instructor whenever you can, and have him make sure you are getting things right, and this can be a great form of training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Welcome to KF, Chris! Like stated earlier, training outside the dojo when you can't be there is a great idea. Most instructors would encourage it. Touch base with the instructor whenever you can, and have him make sure you are getting things right, and this can be a great form of training.

Welcome to KF, Chris; glad that you're here!!

I wholeheartedly concur with what bushido_man96 is saying across the board. You must stay in touch with your instructor, if not, then you start to stray away into the world of bad habits. Catching the mistakes fast, by the very watchful eye of your instructor, before the bad becomes a habit will save your instructor and you tons of painstaking corrections...not fun at all!!

Madd_Ha77
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenshinkan- karate-do

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: thank you for the reply Reply with quote

Yeah I check with my sensei every now and then, he just said try to stay tradition and not go too fast at first. So, I'm just going to keep doing what I know; but I love it...I learned my 2nd Kata the other day so I am trying to keep things technical and simple.

LOVE THE COMMUNITY

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Sensei is right...don't go fast at first because when learning, going fast only muddles the technique across the board; end up doing the technique incorrectly, and if one's not careful, those bad habits start to set in.

Doing the techniques slowly and correctly help train ones muscle memory in a positive manner.

There's plenty of time to work on speed, whenever it's appropriate to do so, but only then once the technique has been matured over time.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF Chris.

I am familiar with Kenshinkan as it is essentially Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu except for a few of the Kata's.

I assume you are learning Fyukyugata 2 versus Pinan Nidan?

To address your question, yes, practice outside of the Dojo. If you think about it you only spend on average three nights a week in the dojo. That's only 6 hours a week. You should train in and outside of the Dojo at least 2 hrs a day IMHO. And as stated by others... slow at first. Perfect the motion first and add speed later. Develop the muscle mechanics and muscle memory before attempting to execute the techniques fast. Fast does not equal correct. If the technique is wrong you run the risk of doing damage to yourself.

Example would be striking the Makiwara. If the mechanics are not right (Bone alignment, weapon target area does not connect correctly,etc. etc.) you will injure yourself. Doing this with speed and power = worse injury.

Learn to do it right and then learn to incorporate the power and speed.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

I agree with what everyone else has said. With that, I can tell you the most frustrating thing for me is learning something new and not being able to practice it outside the dojo. When I first started out, I'd practice stuff at home that I had just learned. When I went back I'd realize that I practiced it wrong 500 times, and it would take me 1000 times to undo the mistakes. Happened quite often during my first several months.

I gave up practicing what I didn't truly know and focused on refining what I did actually know.

If you've got it physically memorized, practice it away from the dojo. If not, do something else like hitting a bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: