Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nukite can be delivered both vertical or horizontal [palm down/palm up].

As MatsuShinaii momentarily mentioned the following...

Quote:
The overlooked meaning behind some techniques is that they are not what they seem but something completely different. It could be a sweep, throw, take down, deflection, etc.

In Shindokan, we, more than otherwise, utilize the Nukite as more of a check than as a strike. Our Soke didn't see the Nukite as a striking implement but more of an otherwise means of utilization. We check receive within our brand of Tuite, and we never use the nukite as a strike to our opponent because we believe it's a weak tool.

We'd not poke an eye, we'd rather smash the eye...we'd not poke soft tissue, we'd rather smash the soft tissue. It's our methodology!!

However, as Wastelander momentarily mentioned the following...

Quote:
There are just so many ways a movement can be applied. For the sake of this conversation, though, I was sticking with the most straight-forward thing--striking to vulnerable points in the neck (or the eyes) with the fingertips or thumb.

We do, utilize the thumb to soft tissue because it's our bread and butter within our brand of Kyusho Jitsu, and this, to us, is an acceptable poke/thrust, that can't usually be denied by our attacker.

I can see where you would say that you do not see the Nukite as a striking weapon. Some do not implement this technique because they feel it is dangerous to the practitioner. So I can see your line of reasoning.

If I may, let me interject one thing for thought. You say you do not poke but smash. I wonder if you are missing out on a treasure trove of techniques?

I am sure you understand that many points are stimulated by different methods of striking, poking, grabbing, and squeezing and I'm sure you understand that certain points can not be struck with a smashing strike like a fist.

Because there are students that read these posts I will refrain from talking about specific points, how you strike them, what force and what happens due to liability issues. However I would like to know if you have removed those targets due to your striking policy or if you make exceptions like the thumb.

One point that can only be targeted with the tips of the fingers around the collar bone area comes to mind, etc.

Obviously I am leaving this as vague as possible.

The reason I ask is that you have mentioned many times that you are traditionally trained and utilize the old school methods. We utilize many "poke" methods, if you will, to attack nerve, air, blood, tendons and ligaments and would assume with your back ground you do target these areas as well.

If you mainly use the fist, elbow, etc. (smashing weapons as you stated) and only the thumb for all other attacking means how do you target area's that do not have the same effect with a smash or can not even be struck with a smash and those targets that are not easily struck with the thumb due to the part of the body they are located in or the way the target must be struck (example; a down ward strike)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: