Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Olympic Sport Karate 2020 Reply with quote

Is karate Olympics a good thing?

What impact will karate competing in the Olympics have on you?

Karate Olympics must of course be a boost for the Japanese but how will it effect your country of origin?

There will be a huge pressure on Japanese martial artists to do well on the World Olympic stage, while ever other country has a chance (making Karate history) by planting their flag just like the Americans on the moon; what are your perditions on who will win most medals?

What are your views on Karate Olympics; too early to tell perhaps?

Is it the beginning of the end for traditional karate?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympic Sport Karate 2020 Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is karate Olympics a good thing?

I don't know. It's just another thing.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
What impact will karate competing in the Olympics have on you?

None what so ever!!

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Karate Olympics must of course be a boost for the Japanese but how will it effect your country of origin?

Most Okinawan Masters despise Karate Olympics, to my understanding, because it's sport karate.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
There will be a huge pressure on Japanese martial artists to do well on the World Olympic stage, while ever other country has a chance (making Karate history) by planting their flag just like the Americans on the moon; what are your perditions on who will win most medals?

I really just don't care, one way or another. Sure, being an American, I'd want the Americans to win the most. I don't believe that this event favors one country over another; all have stellar practitioners. Otherwise, they'd not be in the Olympics in the first place. If, and it's a big if, I watch the Olympics all I want are good matches, and that the matches aren't longer than necessary.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I'll refer back to my answer to your first question above.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

No!! Not even in the slightest!! There's Traditional and then there's Sport Karate; each have their loyal following, each will be around way after I've shed my mortal coil.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Olympic Sport Karate 2020 Reply with quote

[quote="Alan Armstrong"]Is karate Olympics a good thing?
Quote:

I feel like it is a good thing, as people will be able to see what we do and hopefully understand the difference between Karate and TKD.

[quote="Alan Armstrong"]What impact will karate competing in the Olympics have on you?
Quote:

I compete, so it won't affect me for many years due to being a competitor they at the local level generally split divisions up into Grades.

[quote="Alan Armstrong"]Karate Olympics must of course be a boost for the Japanese but how will it effect your country of origin?

I think it will definitely be a massive boost for Australia.

It will just more place a strain on the tournament organisers to get more officials trained up to do each division. Otherwise they'll have to increase tournaments to a whole weekend, instead of the local tournaments being 1 day.

[quote="Alan Armstrong"]There will be a huge pressure on Japanese martial artists to do well on the World Olympic stage, while ever other country has a chance (making Karate history) by planting their flag just like the Americans on the moon; what are your perditions on who will win most medals?

It is hard to tell, because each country is different and many have more competitors in either Kata or Kumite.

Currently per country these are the Top 5:

1. Japan
2. France
3. Turkey
4. Iran
5. Australia

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Too early to tell, as is all sports when they are introduced to this type of overall competition and atmosphere.

Yes these Athletes are used to the Big Tournaments, but they haven't been at this type of competition where it is even bigger than they are used to.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

This depends on the individual clubs and associations in how they deal with the new interest in karate and the potential demand for competition karate.

Whether they add Tournament Specific Classes only or just add more normal classes to cater for the increase in students.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been decades since I've done any sport martial arts, and have since been training traditional Karate-do and Kobudo.

I think that Sport Karate has its place, and hopefully it will lead the way to Budo.

I just hope that Sport/Olympic karate "doesn't bury the lede".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: