Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another: http://wtu.kr/sub_read.html?uid=643&section=sc25&section2=%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD%EC%96%B4

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:

I saw a bit about the skip dans. I thought they put a stop to it for the time being?[/quote]

I hadn't heard that they put a hold on the skip Dans, but they have put a hold on the Dan panels for now, at least in the US. The Dan panels (for those who don't know) is a new thing Kukkiwon wanted to roll out outside Korea. Up until now, one needed to be 4th Dan KKW or higher to test their students for BB. One could test their students up to 1 rank bellow themselves. The new rule that they rolled out in Europe in 2015, & tried to in the US, was that 4th Dan or higher HAD to take this testing panel course in order to test one's students. So, theoretically one could be an 8th Dan training & teaching for 40 years & had promoted 100's BBs, but now could not without passing this course. They've put that idea on hold here in the US due to MUCH push back. But they are teaching the panel exam course here in LA this weekend, anyway. Many heavy hitters from KKW are here.[/quote]
I was mistaken, its special skip Dan tests which I'd read
http://wtu.kr/sub_read.html?uid=677&section=sc1

What you describe to be fair is not that much different to ITF rules. Under 4th dan testing can be done by anyone who is at least twice the grade you are testing for. So for example 3rd must be approved by a 6th dan. 4th and above require you to test under someone who had been approved to do those testings. As a result, you usually have to wait for a 3 day technical seminar to occur and then test afterwards with the visiting master, or request that they send someone to test you. Idea is its a quality control measure.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:

I saw a bit about the skip dans. I thought they put a stop to it for the time being?

I hadn't heard that they put a hold on the skip Dans, but they have put a hold on the Dan panels for now, at least in the US. The Dan panels (for those who don't know) is a new thing Kukkiwon wanted to roll out outside Korea. Up until now, one needed to be 4th Dan KKW or higher to test their students for BB. One could test their students up to 1 rank bellow themselves. The new rule that they rolled out in Europe in 2015, & tried to in the US, was that 4th Dan or higher HAD to take this testing panel course in order to test one's students. So, theoretically one could be an 8th Dan training & teaching for 40 years & had promoted 100's BBs, but now could not without passing this course. They've put that idea on hold here in the US due to MUCH push back. But they are teaching the panel exam course here in LA this weekend, anyway. Many heavy hitters from KKW are here.[/quote]
I was mistaken, its special skip Dan tests which I'd read
http://wtu.kr/sub_read.html?uid=677&section=sc1

What you describe to be fair is not that much different to ITF rules. Under 4th dan testing can be done by anyone who is at least twice the grade you are testing for. So for example 3rd must be approved by a 6th dan. 4th and above require you to test under someone who had been approved to do those testings. As a result, you usually have to wait for a 3 day technical seminar to occur and then test afterwards with the visiting master, or request that they send someone to test you. Idea is its a quality control measure.[/quote]

My guess is that it's been like this in the ITF for a long time now. This change for KKW folks outside of Korea was to be fairly sudden. When there are 1000's of masters & GMs that have been able to test folks on their own. GM Herb Perez, an American Olympic gold medalist & 8th Dan stated,"I've trained & taught for 45 years, won X, Y, Z titles...please tell me what I need to know to test someone to BB that I'll learn taking this course." Now, while his approach was pointed (or rude, one may say), he has a point. He is hardly a beginner & knows what he's doing.

The big issue was Kukkiwon initially said, "we're changing this to the new way in 18 months. You have no choice but to take this course if you want to test your students." But they only planned 2 course events in the next year hosting only 160 attendees at a time. So if I wanted to test my students 6 onths ago, I could. But with the new rules, I'd have to find a person who took the course & pay them to test my students. The new expense is another consideration.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is why, I think, new organizations are formed often.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
And that is why, I think, new organizations are formed often.

Certainly one of the big reasons, that's for sure.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics are quite abundant in the MA, no matter the style!!

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Politics are quite abundant in the MA, no matter the style!!

Ain't it the truth.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is few months old

bushido_man96 wrote:
...The idea of Martial Arts being "regulated" in some ways by government in order to get rid of the bad instructors or clean up other messes wouldn't ever be a good idea, in my opinion, because you eventually end up with what you have in the Kukkiwon.

In my opinion, yes and no to the martial arts being "regulated". I wouldn't want to see the Government step in to regulate the MA fully, saying what should or shouldn't be taught. Or to the extent of the Kukkiwon...

However laying down a foundation, a minimum level of protection for both instructor/club/association and student, as such like:

1. A Valid CRB/DBS check (not sure what this is in other countries) to see if the instructor is actually barred from working with children (child protection)

2. A minimum level of insurance

3. So sort of teaching/coaching/instructors certificate (not sure of the logistics on this one; maybe association, NGB or 3rd party issued).

4. A clear pricing structure

But this is just my opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: