Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Open Doors Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

My student, Jerome, once said that "when one door closes, another one becomes visible." This is true - but how many people are actually looking?"

In August of 2011, I left my martial arts association and became an independent school - a move that was fraught with emotions on both sides, but one which was necessary for the growth of both myself and my students.

The changes revealed many things about the people involved and the differences in "martial culture." They also raised many questions about where you draw the line between your martial culture and your ethics and personal integrity. It has taken a lot of mental and emotional strength these past few months to overcome the onslaught of negative messages, personal discoveries that change how you view those who you once honored and revered, and the ever present "devil on my shoulder" whispering in my ear that I had made a big mistake.

Through it all, my students have stood by me, and I am convinced that integrity, above all, is the key to being successful and happy... which leads me to the question I presented above. How many people are actually looking for the doors, and more importantly (at least to me), why not?

Most martial arts systems have some sort of –do (way) attached to their names, signifying that there is some set of standards associated with a way of living. Most often based on virtues, e.g. modesty, integrity, courtesy, perseverance, respect, etc. Students are expected to not only learn the physical techniques of the art but are expected to learn to live their lives by this set of rules in order to attain rank and/or remain a student. These rules, along with the etiquette and traditions of the art, are where we learn our personal martial culture from and which we strive to pass to our students by putting ourselves in front of them as role models and mentors.

I had always thought that, despite the obvious differences in the physical aspects of a style, the "way" was basically a universal concept - give or take a few concepts or ideals - and that martial artists had a kinship of sorts, grounded in these virtues and united by a common goal. Our martial culture then has more to do with the relationships of those within the system, our relationships with our teachers and master instructors, the environments of our schools, the traditions and history, and our personal triumphs and discovered treasures.

My teachers personified this ideal and I choose to spend my life living trying to do the same. This is the reason that I had to make the choice to leave, to be true to the path I chose. Therein lays the quandary. Why wouldn't an instructor want to make sure that his students had every opportunity to succeed, to be aware of the treasures waiting to be found, to give them the confidence to open new doors, the strength to choose their own path, and the ability to overcome obstacles? Why wouldn't they "walk the talk" so that their students had a map to follow, an example to go by, someone to look to for support? Why would they choose to shut their students off of the outside world and all that can be gained by experiencing it?

I found the answer to those questions (and more) in the events that have transpired these past few months. Personal integrity requires that your life become an open book to your students, your colleagues and your business partners. Allowing your students to look through "other" doors allows them to see the real you, to see beyond the martial culture you have created and discover their own truths, to make their own decisions, to discover other "ways" and make comparisons.

Students are not looking for other doors because they have been told not to, they have been told that "this way is the only way," that those who are not loyal are to be shunned and held in contempt. Fear of rejection holds them to one path and ignorance keeps them from action. Fear of discovery keeps the screws tight!

My students deserved more than this. They deserved to know my martial culture and have the opportunity to see it in action, to follow or not to follow without fear of rejection, to not be afraid to open doors and ask questions, to benefit from all that I have to offer, and to know those who shaped their teacher. To understand that they are the masters of their destiny.

KWANZU!
http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Heidi. Just so everyone knows, this article was submitted by Heidi years ago, but we are just publishing it now. So it should be viewed in that context. I apologize for the extreme delay in publishing it!

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, Heidi...EXCELLENT!! Thank you for it!!

Quote:
How many people are actually looking for the doors, and more importantly (at least to me), why not?

Those MAists who are more concerned about rank than knowledge are those who are looking for the doors quite immensely. In that, those who value knowledge above rank aren't looking for said doors. IMHO!!

It's quite a step you've taken by walking away from your governing body; a step not all would try. I commend you on being that proponent for yourself as well as your students.

Being associated with a governing body is important...or is it? I know a 5th Dan in the ATA who's a very solid MAist, through and through, but because this CI doesn't have more students, the road to 6th Dan, which this CI is mostly deserved of, isn't being considered for any testing cycles until enrollment numbers are improved. HOGWASH!! That's absurd!! Money, is at the root of this! Knowledge, and improved knowledge should be paramount!! But, said governing body see's it quite differently, and I'm not surprised.

Honorable traits are more important than rank...more important than governing bodies...more important than where one lines up during class...more important than any outwardly identifier...more important than anything, including knowledge and MA betterment!!

Kowtowing to the governing bodies should be quite limited. However, if one wants rank, one has to kowtow to the governing bodies in mind, soul, and spirit, and in that, one has to act and think just like the governing body demands. If not, no rank!!

Dai-Soke said once...

"Governing bodies have their rules and regulations. If students aren't compliant, then they're thrown away like trash. If students break the rules, they're banished. What I believe needs to happen before a student is asked to leave, those who make the rules need to leave first!!"

Our Soke absolutely refused to join any and all Governing Bodies in Okinawa because he wanted to walk, and trip, if need be, on his own path!! He and Dai-Soke left Okinawa for the USA, and shortly thereafter, Soke founded the SKKA. He always touted that it was his best decision, overall!!

You've my undying respect and support!! You've chosen YOUR path; and it's not a misguided path!!

Quote:
Students are not looking for other doors because they have been told not to, they have been told that "this way is the only way," that those who are not loyal are to be shunned and held in contempt. Fear of rejection holds them to one path and ignorance keeps them from action. Fear of discovery keeps the screws tight!

My students deserved more than this. They deserved to know my martial culture and have the opportunity to see it in action, to follow or not to follow without fear of rejection, to not be afraid to open doors and ask questions, to benefit from all that I have to offer, and to know those who shaped their teacher. To understand that they are the masters of their destiny.

Of all, these two paragraphs both hold some powerful conclusions and truths!! I bow to you Heidi, now and forever!!

Be yourself; be true to yourself!!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! No regrets

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:

I think this especially holds true. I'm a firm believer in that if a student wishes to, they should be encouraged to try things. No style (including the style I study) is perfect and students should be able to go away and find other things to fill the gaps. It's also good for them to be able to compare the style and the instructor to others.

They'll always be an integral part of martial arts... but politics and money do seem to spoil things too often.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
ninjanurse wrote:

I think this especially holds true. I'm a firm believer in that if a student wishes to, they should be encouraged to try things. No style (including the style I study) is perfect and students should be able to go away and find other things to fill the gaps. It's also good for them to be able to compare the style and the instructor to others.

They'll always be an integral part of martial arts... but politics and money do seem to spoil things too often.

I agree with this sentiment. But not all instructors are so open-minded.

Heidi, thanks for sharing this article with us. I think looking for those open doors is part of the journey, and providing others with that opportunity is part of the instructor's job. I commend you for being able to step away and blaze your own trail, and wish you luck throughout your endeavors.

sensei8 wrote:
I know a 5th Dan in the ATA who's a very solid MAist, through and through, but because this CI doesn't have more students, the road to 6th Dan, which this CI is mostly deserved of, isn't being considered for any testing cycles until enrollment numbers are improved. HOGWASH!! That's absurd!! Money, is at the root of this! Knowledge, and improved knowledge should be paramount!! But, said governing body see's it quite differently, and I'm not surprised.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for testing for 6th dan in the ATA is anymore. Perhaps having certain numbers of students under you, but I'm not sure. But it shouldn't be the only thing that matters, and its too bad if that is what is holding him back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: