Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sentoka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Ordering belts online - Quality comparison. Reply with quote

Obviously there's a huge problem when ordering belts off the net with not being able to see the finished product, or sample, first hand before purchasing and waiting the 6+ weeks for manufacture and freight.
My main concern is belt durability and quality/workmanship of the embroidery.

So far, I've narrowed my search down to either Choke Sports or Tokaido. Just wondering if anyone's had experience with either or both of these companies, and could give some advice.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choke sports is Isami, I believe. Isami is high quality stuff. If you want to see their belts, see a Kyokushin guy, as Isami is their unofficial brand. Then again, Isami sells stuff with Kyokushin logos rather than their own logo, so it's more than "unofficial." They have videos online of their manufacturing and embroidering process. Very high quality stuff.

Tokaido is very well respected. I've seen their black belts, and they're very good quality, but honestly I've seen better. Far better than the majority of them out there though. It's not wasted money by any means.

Shureido makes the best belts I've seen. Far more durable and solid than anything else. Embroidery is as good as whoever is doing it, as I don't think they'll be embroidered by Shureido (Tokaido too) unless you're ordering directly from them in Japan/Okinawa.

I've seen Eosin Panther belts, and I'd say they're 99% as good as Shureido. Easier to get in the US, as they're based here, and their embroidery is top notch. If I was in charge of black belt ordering for everyone in my school, I'd easily go with Eosin Panther. Very high quality and embroidery for an honest price. I've heard their turn around time and service is equally as good as their belts.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eosin Panther is a great belt (I'm still having a problem with their site though, but that's another story, that I mentioned on here.)

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shureido makes very high quality belts, but they can be expensive as obtaining them is only possible from Japan or a the outlet in USA. Only a few manufacturers produce belts of a comparable quality. What is much more difficult to find is quality embroidery work on belts, which is very hard to do considering the thickness of the belt material and how intricate writings can be.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Eosin Panther is a great belt (I'm still having a problem with their site though, but that's another story, that I mentioned on here.)

I'd give them a call at Eosin Panther. Their customer service is excellent. I've called them several times & they've been great.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:

You too?? Frustrating!!

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the best luck with KI, they are very reasonable and hold their color well. I have known a few folks who use tokaido and they are fantastic I only have seen pics of isami so i can't speak to them but if you are looking at tokido they are great.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best embroidery is done by the manufacturer during the process of making the belt, not after its already made.

Eosin Panther and Isami embroider their belts during manufacture, not afterwards. Shureido and Tokaido most likely do too, but that would have to be ordered from Japan. Perhaps Shureido USA could order one directly. The impression I get from their site says they can embroider it themselves (Shureido USA is the importer/distributor, not the actual company) or they can order it embroidered by Shureido. A phone call would answer that question.

Sentoka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all of your replies.
I originally looked at Choke Sports because of the ties to Isami/Kyokushin. I'm a big fan of the look of the their black belts and a friend who trains Kyokushin put me onto them.
I've seen the Shureido belts around a fair bit at seminars and tournaments, and have to say they do look incredible. I mainly went after Choke and Tokaido due to them having a relatively easy online ordering for embroidery. As was mentioned before, embroidery done during the manufacturing process looks heaps better than doing it after the fact.

I did manage to find a Shureido supplier in Sydney, so I'll order one today and see what my local embroiderer can do for me.

Thanks again guys!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Club for Black Belts use either Tokaido or Adidas. I have an Adidas Black Belt and have had it since I earnt my BB and is great quality and has lasted this long without wearing out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: