Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Point Sparring Tips/Tactics/Training? Reply with quote

My school trains sparring in class, but it's continuous (in other words, we're not interrupted after a "point" is scored, we keep going at it for a set time). I like this, since I feel it is a little bit more realistic (in a real fight, no one will break you up after the first strike).

However, when in competition, it's the usual point sparring rules (one scores, the participants reset, and then sparring begins again).

I've done well so far, but I don't think I'm getting better. What do you guys recommend?

BTW, my art is kempo, so I guess any karate/kempo/kung fu point sparring tips would apply, and ITF taekwondo too.

126barnes
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I have no idea what level you are at.

But I think keeping it simple, is the best way to start. A good blitz, reverse punch and side kick will go along way.

Speed kills, eliminate the useless movement(loading punches, back leg movement on front leg kicks) in your technique and you well become more effective.

Last edited by 126barnes on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid bouncing and stay well rooted to the ground when striking. Keep the knees bent stay low, but be mobile. Never use any technique in isolation and be sure to combine attack with defense because they are one. Make use of angles for offense and defense they are an effective advantage. Finally, when an opening presents itself go for it without hesitation. Seizing opportunities can determine the outcome of the bout. Lastly do not ever retreat by stepping backwards in a straight line.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips by all! For nothing, I'd suggest that you spar and spar and spar and spar and... until the wheels fall off, then, continue to spar and spar and spar and spar and...

It's not a futile thing to do so, imho. Can't train enough! The more, the better, and this allows your Sensei time to make necessary adjustments across the board.

Angle forward so that you can attack from 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ...as well as 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 o'clock; limiting 12 and 6 o'clock because those are expected and trained against. Throw in angle attacks consistently, yet mixed with the direct attacks of 6 and 12 o'clock. Angle when your opponent isn't, and attack direct on, when your opponent is.

Close the distance abruptly, well, as abruptly as one can. This way, your opponent can't complete their technique(s). Work on speed, as already suggested, because if one can't see it, how can they react to it properly, if at all?!?!?!?!?

Good luck, train hard, and train well!!

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot guys, great advice

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more important thing that must not be forgotten is to remember that sparring is NOT a fight for one's life nor is it self defense. It may be serious but it remains a training exercise. The other person is not an enemy and the goal is to learn not kill or maim one another.

As in any stressful and risky situation maintain self control. Do not let fear or anger and adrenaline to take over and overwhelm the senses as this is a sure way to lose to someone who can control them. It is easier said than done, but as everything else in martial arts practise will make it possible.

126barnes
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me timing is a big part of my game. If your alway coming forward on the same timing good point fighters will figure you out and start setting you up.

also point fighting is a game of moving forward. Sure good counter fighters can win, but in my experience if exchanges are close the point goes to the agresser.

Got to agree with Spartacus nothing worst than traning for point sparring with a guy who thinks he's in a fight.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is lots of good advice here. To help focus your training a bit, pick a move that tends to be popular in the tournaments you attend, and focus on defending it with a partner. Let's say a popular technique is the lead hand backfist. Have a partner throw just that technique, and focus on recognizing it, blocking it or avoiding it (or both), and setting up a set of counter techniques.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video! Have someone video your matches and see what worked and didn't work. And watch others too. There is a ton of point matches on youtube. Study some of the top guys/gals and see what they do that may also work for your style.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
There is lots of good advice here. To help focus your training a bit, pick a move that tends to be popular in the tournaments you attend, and focus on defending it with a partner. Let's say a popular technique is the lead hand backfist. Have a partner throw just that technique, and focus on recognizing it, blocking it or avoiding it (or both), and setting up a set of counter techniques.

Loads of great advice on here already but this is especially a good point. Have a few counters to popular attacks already in your game which you have practiced over and over again. From what I've seen, I think the front hand backfist, jab and lead side kick are pretty popular openers so you want to make sure you have a way of counter acting them.

For point sparring IMHO the most important thing is speed. Speed is king. Whether you are the one initiating the exchange or the one reacting to your opponent, you have to try to be the fastest in the room. So like 126barnes said above, you need to eliminate all extra and superfluous movement from your attacks. To do this, train in front of a mirror and / or video yourself sparring and look for your tells. Also work on reaction drills; do padwork and react to the padman, do quick fire partner drills and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: