Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Pokemon Go can draw prospective students Reply with quote

You've all probably heard of Pokemon Go. If not, it's a hugely popular new game. I won't get into details here, but people wander around the real world while playing. Today, one of my Facebook friends said that he signed up two new students who came across his dojo while playing the game.

I did a little research on the game's marketing potential and thought I'd share. I spent very little time on this, so you might want to look deeper.

If you're lucky, you have a Poke-spot near you. If you drop a lure there, people will come looking for Pokemon or other prizes. They'll come anyway, but the lure makes the spot more appealing. You can earn lures in-game, but you can also purchase them relatively cheaply. I think I saw $1 per lure stated somewhere. All this will do is draw traffic into your area, but I assume more traffic generally means more students.

It looks like as of now, you can't create a new Poke-spot nor a Pokemon Gym. Maybe they'll offer that in a future update.

If you're interested in learning more, I came across this article that I thought was pretty good. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysondemers/2016/07/13/6-ways-to-use-pokemon-go-in-your-local-marketing-campaign/2/#da7c09b395c3 The article mentions also using the social aspects of the game or free charging stations to get people in the door.

This phenomenon is too new for much good info, but it might be a fun way to do marketing.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only drop a lure from the Pokestop, so you may have to walk over there to drop it, but you can leave once you do.

If you are planning on doing this, make your user name has your dojo name in it, so people can see that it was you who dropped the lure. They'll be grateful.

Also, if you can put up some signs around the Pokestop area. You could even make it cute and Pokemon related ("Gotta catch em all" with a picture of all your belt colors? A "which team are you?" faceoff where people can mark their team and see who gets the most?)

I may or may not be way too into this game. I created an account last Friday solely to use it to promote my place of work. Now I'm zoning in on level 16 and I've taken three gyms.

It's a lot of fun.

Last edited by Lupin1 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just launched in the UK today. It would be a great marketing scheme (and money making scheme for Nintendo) if businesses could pay to have a pokestop or gym assigned to their location. My local church community hall is actually my local pokestop, saw quite a few kids gathering there earlier.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be "that guy," but wasn't there a situation somewhere in the South where people were being lured somewhere through this game and then robbed?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Not to be "that guy," but wasn't there a situation somewhere in the South where people were being lured somewhere through this game and then robbed?
I have heard that things like that are happening. It won't likely be the norm, but with the amount of people playing, especially kids, what for predators to exploit it.

There's been a lot of foot traffic in our area with this game, especially at our courthouse. There is a spot out there, and its drawing lots of people. I'm not sure if this would be a concept I would use to try to draw people in or not, but thanks for sharing the info here.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:

People will always try to take advantage. Common sense should still apply with this game, not go to rough areas, be mindful your phone is on display, etc.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the following regarding Pokemon Go and the future of these types of apps for fitness. Interesting read:

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2016/07/19/health-matters-dynamic-digitals-getting-active-with-mobile-games/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: