Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Polish army to teach women self-defence for free Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37935116

Quote:
The Polish defence ministry is launching free nationwide classes for women to learn unarmed combat.
The classes will start at 30 military facilities, running from 19 November until 3 June. Polish army instructors will provide the training.
The techniques will include defensive postures, how to break holds, and guards against kicks, strangulation and assaults with a weapon.

What do you think to this? Do you think the women will gain much from an army led short course? Would a similar programme work in your country?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good idea to me, and they are running it for quite a period of time. Much better than an afternoon class. Its definitely worth a look.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the program is worthy of an attempt by woman, especially with it being a free course. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

I believe that woman would benefit quite a lot from a military ran course because the military wouldn't be biased by MA style politics, but only by a more closer experience with a street fighting mindset...things that work versus things that are theory based.

Yeah, sure, why not!?! Any program will work if it's handled properly!! Putting women first over the male driven ego of the military would be the most important, for that program to even have the slightest bit of success.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the photo of the woman (with a ponytail) as long as rubber knives are used everything will be OK.

I agree with one military official, that pointed out that it should be the police teaching self-defence and not the military.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
I agree with one military official, that pointed out that it should be the police teaching self-defence and not the military.

Either would be ok, I think. The two have different goals in mind, though. A police officer is in the business of restraining for the purpose of arrest, and are subject to the use of force continuum. The military are not beholden to this, and will likely teach in such a way that they don't have the idea of use of force in the back of their minds.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military self-defense?

Will polish women start carrying around double edged knives? Or do they only learn how to defend from an attacker that uses one?

If polish women need self defense, then a proper program should be set up to for fill their needs.

Civilian women certainly don't fight like military men so why train them as if they are?

At least if the police was doing the training for the women, it would be closer to mainstream society in a city setting in high heels than the alternative of being in a warzone wearing commando boots.

Perhaps the Polish government is preparing the women of their country for homeland security reasons!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Military self-defense?

Will polish women start carrying around double edged knives? Or do they only learn how to defend from an attacker that uses one?

If polish women need self defense, then a proper program should be set up to for fill their needs.

Civilian women certainly don't fight like military men so why train them as if they are?

At least if the police was doing the training for the women, it would be closer to mainstream society in a city setting in high heels than the alternative of being in a warzone wearing commando boots.

Perhaps the Polish government is preparing the women of their country for homeland security reasons!

Whilst I don't know the ins and outs of the programme one would hope the people running the course have taken the time to plan what they're teaching and structure a course with self defence in mind. I highly doubt they're teaching combat manoeuvres.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DWx. I would imagine they are learning hand-to-hand techniques, knife defense techniques, possibly some firearm defenses of some kind, and hopefully some situational awareness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: