Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Professional boxers allowed to compete at Rio 2016 Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36425046

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) have voted to allow professional boxers top compete alongside amateurs at this year's Olympics (provided they qualify and are chosen by their national team).

Thoughts? Is this a good move or bad move? Do you anticipate any pro-boxers entering and if so, how do you think you'll do?

For the uninitiated, there are a few differences between pro and amateur boxing matches. For a brief run down, see here:
http://boxingontario.com/athletes/amateur-vs-pro-boxing/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not!! If an NBA player can play in the IOC, then why not allow a pro boxer enter the Rio 2016?!?!?!

Let me say this, then I'll shut-up!!

I hate the fact that NBA players are allowed to play in the Olympics. I thought that the Olympics were for amateur's, who then moved up to the professional status. I do know the difference from a pro and an amateur...one gets paid while the other doesn't.

How many Bronze and Silver medals have the USA Basketball team won since NBA players have been allowed? ZERO!! Nothing but Gold...each and every time.

Levels are not to be ignored!! High school...College...Semi-Pro...Pro!! As one goes from one to the other, they're much more better than that of the level before.

To me...it's an unfair advantage! Imagine Mayweather at the Rio 2016...quite unfair to his opponents. Sure, the upset might happen, but that's a hope and a dream for his opponent.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of anticipate Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio stepping up to the plate to compete for their respective countries.

For Basketball, IMHO America in a way has an unfair advantage because they have so much advertising and sponsorship that goes into not only the NBA but also the College Level. So their facilities are leagues ahead of other Leagues (i.e. NBL in Australia, Euroleague in Europe etc). So the conditioning opportunities are more readily available.
But that is just me coming from Australia

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Why not!! If an NBA player can play in the IOC, then why not allow a pro boxer enter the Rio 2016?!?!?!

I hate the fact that NBA players are allowed to play in the Olympics. I thought that the Olympics were for amateur's, who then moved up to the professional status. I do know the difference from a pro and an amateur...one gets paid while the other doesn't.

How many Bronze and Silver medals have the USA Basketball team won since NBA players have been allowed? ZERO!! Nothing but Gold...each and every time.

Levels are not to be ignored!! High school...College...Semi-Pro...Pro!! As one goes from one to the other, they're much more better than that of the level before.

To me...it's an unfair advantage! Imagine Mayweather at the Rio 2016...quite unfair to his opponents. Sure, the upset might happen, but that's a hope and a dream for his opponent.

The 2004 basketball team the won bronze, not gold. They could have been the most disappointing team ever.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
I kind of anticipate Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio stepping up to the plate to compete for their respective countries.

For Basketball, IMHO America in a way has an unfair advantage because they have so much advertising and sponsorship that goes into not only the NBA but also the College Level. So their facilities are leagues ahead of other Leagues (i.e. NBL in Australia, Euroleague in Europe etc). So the conditioning opportunities are more readily available.
But that is just me coming from Australia

Solid post!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

The 2004 basketball team the won bronze, not gold. They could have been the most disappointing team ever.

Whoa!! My bad...I stand corrected...thanks JR 137...I'm shocked because I didn't think they'd ever get anything else but gold.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it- Olympics has been and should continue to be the proving ground for amateurs. Professionals already have something to fight for in terms of money and belts. Keep something for the amateurs.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
I don't like it- Olympics has been and should continue to be the proving ground for amateurs. Professionals already have something to fight for in terms of money and belts. Keep something for the amateurs.

Solid post!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Olympics are supposed to be competition between the best in the world, then professional athletes should be allowed to compete, regardless of the sport.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
If the Olympics are supposed to be competition between the best in the world, then professional athletes should be allowed to compete, regardless of the sport.

Key word: if. They are not. A gold medal doesn't measure up to a nba or nhl championship nor does it measure up to a championship belt. In regards to these e ends, olympics are for amateurs. Professionals would have way too much experience, money, and resources at their disposal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: