Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Proof is On the Floor! Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Proof is on the floor! Most, if not all members here have heard me state this over and over without any ambiguity and/or reservation. It's a staple I live by in my training in the martial arts day after day. My students hear me quote this more than they'd like, but it's a true statement, or it should be, of any martial art.

This topic/thread isn't a rant. It's a compassionate statement of fact, in my humble opinion! It's something that I wholeheartedly believe in; there are no idle words here.

The word "you" as used in this article is a general term, therefore, "you" isn't a specific person. No malice, and/or intent are meant here. If anything at all, "you" is referred to those who've disrespected the floor as well as those who've disrespected the martial arts through our own definitions.

The floor works both ways. It analyzes me as well as you without have being asked to do so, and in that, I don't fear the floor; I welcome it. I need it. I want it. The floor is unbiased in its actions/purpose. It's the silent third witness upon the floor. I didn't ask the floor to seek out what is true and what is false because the floor does it without ever being asked to do so. You and I won't outwardly say..."Prove [it] to me!" That would be rude; disrespectful and uncalled for.

There's a way to properly do this without embarrassing one another. Allow the floor to do what it's designed to do, seek for the truth, by ones very own actions or inaction.

Why is proof found on the floor? Nothing reveals more candidly, openly or without reservation than the floor. "But, I've got a certification that says..." That's nice, but any diploma mill can crank those out by the thousands. "But I'm certified by..." That's good; then you shouldn't have a problem on the floor. No matter the reason(s) or excuses, the floor will reveal fact or fiction as well as separate fact from fiction, all at the same time. The old saying..."Put up or shut up!" That's point blank, rude and uncalled for, but it's reality and the floor cries out for it in volumes that can't be ignored.

Why all the excuses? Why all the avoidance? Invite the floor and welcome its discerning eye as I do, as any true martial artist does. After the floor has done its job, it's just a floor, something to just stand upon. Yet, the floor comes into action to re-establish itself at any given time. Only "fake/false" martial artists would ever be intimidated by what the floor reveals. By the way, I'd never outwardly ask for proof because you could show me anything. Let me get you on the dojo floor; it'll take me mere seconds to know what I already suspect. If my suspicion is unfounded, well, let's both shut up and just train hard.

The floor doesn't seek imperfection because we're imperfect. Therefore, the floor seeks to expose the false, ineffective technique(s) because while a polished floor is pretty when shined, the floor is still solid and can't be hidden or denied. If you're full of falsehood, no matter how much one may try to shine and buff the floor, the floor's still going to rebuke what's not true. I don't have to say or do anything that the floor hasn't said or done yet.

If I've discovered what's been revealed on the floor and you've lied to me, or worse, to yourself, then I'll politely thank you, excuse myself, and then leave if I'm visiting you, or have you leave my dojo. After that, whatever summation and opinion I've concluded concerning you will be kept private and to myself. If this doesn't suffice enough for you, then I'd prefer it if you'd just thank me and get off of my floor.

Having said that, the floor isn't the proving ground where you have to prove yourself to me and I have to prove myself to you. No! The floor's where knowledge is revealed; truth is found. That discovered and revealed truth is an additional benefit. The floor asks on its own, without me or you verbally asking for ourselves. The floor reveals all things, both positive as well as negative.

Don't come onto my floor... (These are the most basic list of things that I require of any black belt!)

If you can't hump, bump and dump (sparring).
If you can't rock and roll (drills).
If you can't tie your belt properly.
If you can't put on your gi properly.
If you can't speak with authority.
If you can't speak with confidence.
If you can't speak with knowledge.
If you've not mastered the basics.
If you've not mastered the three K's.
If you've not mastered basic proper etiquette.
If you can't hold a basic conversation about the martial arts.
If you can't understand basic terminologies.
If you're not willing to learn.

Basically... just get off my floor!

The floor isn't...

Where one shows off.
Where one beats his or her chest.
Where one practices in self-aggrandizement.
Where one belittles others.
Where one bullies others.
1600 Japan where challenges are made and where the loser leaves town in pure shame or is beheaded or commits seppuku.

The floor is...

Where serious martial artists practice seriously.
Where one learns.
Where one teaches self first.
Where exploration of technique(s) occur.

The proof is always found or discovered on the floor; either you can or you can't. And if you can't, I'd rather you get off my floor until you're willing to learn while being honest with yourself.

Proof is always on the floor!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Bob.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Bob. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great read. So true in many ways.

Thank you for sharing.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started reading I thought you meant something completely different by "the proof is on the floor". I had this image in my head of some guy being disrespectful and you dropping him and turning to everyone else and saying "I don't tolerate X in my dojo-- the proof is on the floor" pointing to the guy laying on the floor.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article Bob!

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article!

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solid, inspiring read. Well, what can I say except that I better go train .

Regards,
Tony

rayjag
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a simple but true concept.

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:
Allow the floor to do what it's designed to do, seek for the truth.

and
Quote:
...the floor seeks to expose the false.

That was deep, sensei8, I really enjoyed your post. I'm wondering if you could tell me, though... where does the "dumb" come in in sparring? Or is that a dumb question?

Anyway, thanks for a great post. I think I'll print it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: