Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a straight punch is most likely going to come from a lower base from someone who is holding your hips down and feels the opportunity.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at the aforementioned time stamp...I see the opening, and I would've attacked that with a straight punch without hesitation, but that's me. Any opening draws me like flies to a light, and I register an attack to that opening. If it works out, great...if not...great; nothing ventured is nothing gained.

To me, that opening is akin to a blind/hidden attack in chess. Only you see the hidden opening, until it's too late for your opponent because they've already taken their finger off the chess piece. Then I attack, and capture that piece.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
When I look at the aforementioned time stamp...I see the opening, and I would've attacked that with a straight punch without hesitation, but that's me. Any opening draws me like flies to a light, and I register an attack to that opening. If it works out, great...if not...great; nothing ventured is nothing gained.

To me, that opening is akin to a blind/hidden attack in chess. Only you see the hidden opening, until it's too late for your opponent because they've already taken their finger off the chess piece. Then I attack, and capture that piece.

Technique 36 in the Gracie Combatives is the double underhook pass. This is facilitated by executing a straight strike to the face (punch, palm heel ect...) until the bad guy opens the legs. Then you gain control and pass.

It's natural to you because you've trained it. But I can tell you that, in the many years I've done GJJ (14 and counting), I've put countless people in my guard and had them punch. None of them have punched straight until trained to do so. People just tend to stink at fighting...that's why the come to all of us

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, Alex, with some great variations from what we do in our DT club. Our fist defense is to get to your stage 2 position, blocking hooking punches that come into head by creating that arm/leg shield. But I like your stage 1 variation, and how you transition with the punches to the ribs. We also don't do the sweep at the end, but I like it, too!

I've already shared it with my DT club.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Great video, Alex, with some great variations from what we do in our DT club. Our fist defense is to get to your stage 2 position, blocking hooking punches that come into head by creating that arm/leg shield. But I like your stage 1 variation, and how you transition with the punches to the ribs. We also don't do the sweep at the end, but I like it, too!

I've already shared it with my DT club.

Glad you like it! Hope it's helpful for your DT guys!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Technique 36 in the Gracie Combatives is the double underhook pass. This is facilitated by executing a straight strike to the face (punch, palm heel ect...) until the bad guy opens the legs. Then you gain control and pass.

It's natural to you because you've trained it. But I can tell you that, in the many years I've done GJJ (14 and counting), I've put countless people in my guard and had them punch. None of them have punched straight until trained to do so. People just tend to stink at fighting...that's why the come to all of us

To the bold type above...

Yes, I've trained in that for quite some time. No many Karate styles teach grappling as much as we do in Shindokan, and our Soke has developed a way for our straight punch to be utilized effectively standing or while on the ground. No, I'm not saying that Shindokan is on the same plane as GJJ/BJJ, but I'm also not saying that it's greatly inferior either. After all, not only do we do Karate, but we do grappling too, and not as a passing fancy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: