Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Purpose of Instructor Training Reply with quote

Instructor Training? A way of teaching our new and current team of instructors to learn how to teach students in accordance with your Dojo/Organisations Curriculum and Guidelines.

So in that how does your Dojo or Organisation do Instructor Training if any?

In addition to that, does your organisation/dojo require any additional qualifications to be an instructor?

This is what my Club Requires:

Trainee Instructors

- Lead Warm Ups in Class
- Take a Small Group with supervision from an Experienced Instructor
- Participate in Discussions with Instructors about progress
- Test Students for in-grade 'tags'

Requested

- Level 1 First Aid + CPR
- NCAS Bronze Dojo Certification

Instructors

Requested of all Instructors

- NCAS Bronze Dojo Certification (Not Mandatory)

Lead Instructors (Who can operate classes in absence of CI)

- NCAS Bronze Dojo Certification (Course operated by the Australian Sports Commission)

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we're such a small dojo, instructor training is done via an informal internship. Originally the requirement was to take a group of students from white belt to shodan, but since so few people actually get shodan at our school, I'm not really sure how that will work. Our requirement to become an official instructor is to be at least sandan and have at least 15 years training in addition to this internship.

I'm sort of an unofficial instructor/assistant instructor. I'm just a shodan, but I've been helping out with classes since I was a 4th kyu-- about 5 years now. I also have a BA in education and classroom teaching experience, so I've got the instruction part down-- it's more the karate specific instruction stuff I'm still learning.

If all goes well, next year I plan on stepping up my role. Our founder has recently moved away and our two other instructors have inherited the program. They aren't able/willing to put in the same hours as our founder, so I hope to step up and take on some more responsibilities. I'm hoping to become a full instructor by the time they need to retire, but as the training is so informal I'm not even sure how it will work now that our founder is gone. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Lupin1 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small schools could suffer from the lack of training. I am hoping that I can become an instructor, as well. Unfortunately, our master instructor will likely be retiring after a few years. I don't think we will have anyone higher than 2nd dahn or 3rd dahn once he leaves (I might barely get my black belt by then, if I can avoid injury.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPR? I didn't learn how to kill people so I could bring them back to life

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Small schools could suffer from the lack of training. I am hoping that I can become an instructor, as well. Unfortunately, our master instructor will likely be retiring after a few years. I don't think we will have anyone higher than 2nd dahn or 3rd dahn once he leaves (I might barely get my black belt by then, if I can avoid injury.)

Would those who may be the most senior still be able to train under your master after he retires, or would they have to find someone else who is more senior to teach them?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Would those who may be the most senior still be able to train under your master after he retires, or would they have to find someone else who is more senior to teach them?

As it stands now, our master instructor/founder (5th dahn) wants to retire when he's 62 (3 years, or so.) He had one student make it to 5th dahn (recently got his 5th stripe by testing elsewhere, but I didn't ask where,) who recently split off to run his own school. He's still in the area, and will likely stay around, so yeah... training could continue. Our school has a lot of 1st and 2nd dahn students, most of which have stalled their training. The young ones are off to college, the older ones busy with life and/or injury. It looks like things will be drying up a bit. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, total population is 330,000 or so. Delta County (where I am) only has 40k, and most of the folks here are elderly and in bad shape. Not too many martial artists!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I will say it again: I think every instructor should be First Aid and CPR certified. I think that it is awesome that your club requires it.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain the NCAS and why it is required for Lead Instructors?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Can you explain the NCAS and why it is required for Lead Instructors?

The NCAS is the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme, which is a nationally recognized training scheme where we are taught the essentials of being a good coach along with the legal requirements as dictated by State and Federal Guidelines.

It covers; coaching styles + principles, health and safety recommendations, legal guidelines and other information on how to be a good coach within' the Dojo and sporting realm.

Only my Club has something called "Lead Instructors", we require them to have the NCAS Accreditation because it is recommended by the Australian Sports Commission and Australian Karate Federation that at least one person teaching has such qualifications.

At present I am 1 of 3 people who have those qualifications in my dojo and as such I can lead a class with the knowledge of what is required of me legally and also of what records to keep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: