Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fu Man
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Present: Isshinryu & Shotokan| Past: Balintawak, Jidokwan & Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question is not style specific, as each club, even within the same style, will have different expectations for rank promotion.

The quickest route to earning a black belt is mostly likely via Mcdojos that guarantee rank after a certain period of training. Just show up for class, and you will get promoted as per the contract.

The slowest route to earning a black belt is via clubs with high standards and expectations for their students. Most of these clubs are very traditional, but modernized clubs fall into this category as well.

Overall, the best option is to choose a club that you enjoy, and a martial art that is suited to your physical attributes and personal training goals.

tori
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fu man, i agree!

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer in my opinion is. A quick way to black belt, is just like not evening earning one. Thats like saying, is their a quick and easy way out of college?...their is not one.

All good black belts will take atleast 2 yrs at the most. And thats very rare. Usually they are like 4 yrs and up. unless your really gung ho, but then....you lose the correct path and what your really doing it for.

arcelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trained in a lot of styles over the years and seen a lot of variation in this. In different styles/traditions, a black belt means different things. In some arts, it truly indicates a high level of mastery of the style. In others, it indicates a proficient student who has learned the basics and is now ready to begin learning advanced techniques. I'm sure most arts fall somewhere in between.

Since rank varies so much from style to style, from school to school, the best thing to do is to focus on ones' skills and abilities. That seems to me to be the only reliable yardstick.

50inches
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate/MMA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teakwondo belts tend to be easy, and BJJ belts hard.

Daisho
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made shodan after 7 years. If I was in top shape I could've taken the test about a year earlier, but I took forever deciding to put the gym/cardio time in required. 8 months of 3 days a week at the gym, 3 days a week at the dojo, and running EVERY night, and my shodan test still was something I was barely able to handle.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50inches wrote:
Teakwondo belts tend to be easy, and BJJ belts hard.

Are you a dan rank in Tae Kwon do or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years in tkd. The quickest way to shodan in goju is probably 3.5, but very unlikley. Just continue to train and it will come. After all, a black belt is just a white belt that did not give up! I train to learn, the black belt, while an incentive is not the ultimate goal. I'd like to teach someday, so that will mean 3 degree, which is years away.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traymond wrote:
The answer in my opinion is. A quick way to black belt, is just like not evening earning one. Thats like saying, is their a quick and easy way out of college?...their is not one.

All good black belts will take atleast 2 yrs at the most. And thats very rare. Usually they are like 4 yrs and up. unless your really gung ho, but then....you lose the correct path and what your really doing it for.

I'd say 3.5 - 4 years. If you train hard and train often, it may come sooner. Much the same way in college if you take a heavy schedule and do well in those courses you will graduate sooner than someone who is attending part time. So I again I say train hard, train often, practice on your own, and you will improve toward your goal. THere is no substitiute for hard work. Remember a black belt is a white belt that did not give up!
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quinteros1963 wrote:
Traymond wrote:

I'd say 3.5 - 4 years. If you train hard and train often, it may come sooner. Much the same way in college if you take a heavy schedule and do well in those courses you will graduate sooner than someone who is attending part time. So I again I say train hard, train often, practice on your own, and you will improve toward your goal. THere is no substitiute for hard work. Remember a black belt is a white belt that did not give up!

Remember to not cloud your mind with thoughs of excelling to fast, because then you fail to find the true path, hard work is true, but you must also live your life, same thing with a diet, if you go full force for a month, you get bored and discouraged, never lose the path, always look forward and not behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: