Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Rear Naked Choke Reply with quote

So this week's recap has some incredible timing to it. Anyone watching last night's UFC got treated to some great, fundamental jiu jitsu applied with a high degree of finesse. This is all "advanced" actually is.

Here, we break down the details that make this formidable attack work as it's intended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQjwJAIWf0

So, who watched the fights last night? How do the technical details line up with your perceptions of the choke?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't watch the fights, but did watch highlights, and to be honest, I saw the choke, and it was well executed, and not surprised at it.

That, to me, this is quite an easy thing to apply especially for those who forget about its possibility, and it can be easy to forget about when ones defending this and that, and the more inexperienced the practitioner is, the more easier it can be to manipulate in this type of game of chess.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear naked choke, probably the most efficient and effective move/technique against most stand up strikers.

The part that is fascinating to me, is that the person being choked still tries to punch the person that has his legs locked around the waist and arms locked around the neck.

What are they hoping for "A knockout" perhaps!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the RNC in MMA, mostly because many don't do it as efficiently as it can be done. This tends to give people false senses of security that the back is safer than it actually is.

Most people rely on getting the wrist bone under their opponents chin for the choke. This isn't wrong, but it gives lots of space turn turn (into your opponents elbow for example) when attempting this choke. This also cant be relied on when you've got 4 oz gloves on. This is why there are people out there who are world class and world champion BJJ'ers who can get to the back but unable to duplicate their success with this choke in mma (Marcelo, for example)...

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In none sporting events to bite the person trying to do a choke like this is recommend while simultaneously trying for a testicle gorilla grip with one hand and an eye gouge with the other.

My neck is perfect for performing a rear naked choke on with the added bonus of a waist that can easily be V locked on to with the legs and feet.

(This technique is horrific to be caught in)

There is a window of opportunity to slip the head out of this situation in the initial stage by twisting the head in, chin down, pullout ... easier said than done.

Better to hurry up and knock the person out first.. another easier said than done theory!

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you try to do from the rear mount your opponent can also do, but with 100x more leverage. Something to keep in mind if you want to start biting and grabbing testicles....

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Anything you try to do from the rear mount your opponent can also do, but with 100x more leverage. Something to keep in mind if you want to start biting and grabbing testicles....
Agreed 100x on your statement TJ-Jitsu.

This technique (The rear naked choke) should be called "The Borg" due to resistance is futile!

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:

This technique (The rear naked choke) should be called "The Borg" due to resistance is futile!

Ehh... that isn't quite true. Resistance is not futile. The correct method of resistance is not "Spazz, kick, and bite violently hoping that something works."

There are specific solutions to the problem of being in rear mount. If you want to know them well, I would suggest studying with a grappling instructor for a bit, however a good hint is think about getting your shoulders to the ground, and remove the top hook.

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:

Ehh... that isn't quite true. Resistance is not futile. The correct method of resistance is not "Spazz, kick, and bite violently hoping that something works."

There are specific solutions to the problem of being in rear mount. If you want to know them well, I would suggest studying with a grappling instructor for a bit, however a good hint is think about getting your shoulders to the ground, and remove the top hook.

yes, I would like to know what defences or techniques there are for the rear choke. i try to get a hand under the arm between my neck to reduce the pressure. otherwise i have to tap-out.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escaping all submission holds is an art in and of itself that has 3 primary cornerstones.
1. Delay the onset of damage
2. Disrupt and remove the controlling body parts.
3. Move to change your position relative to the attacker.

For example, escaping the RNC: Grab the arm they are attempting to put under your neck and drop your chin to delay the attack and stop the choke from forming.

Buck and roll to one side in an attempt to either face the ceiling, or at least have the choking arm on top.

Get rid of the top hook to free one of your legs.
Finally, turn over and end up likely in the persons guard, but NOT being choked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: