Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Regarding Face Book as a business medium. Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was wondering two things about using Face Book for business: What types of things do you put up there? Is it strictly an offer or discount for services? Pictures? Short video clips?OR is there a certain option that allows you to get the page out there so that others can see it?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Facebook page for our dojo, for business purposes. We post photos and video clips of classes and events, as well as posting about our schedule, upcoming special events, belt tests, etc. There are also deals on lessons that we post, occasionally. You can also use Facebook Ads to get more people to see your page, provided they don't have AdBlock turned on.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you want it to be however generally the more content, the more you will drive traffic to the page.

Post often and post things people will want to "Like" and "Share": pictures, videos, posters of your school, posters of events you are attending, coupons (image) entitling people to taster sessions. Images tend to attract the most Likes and Shares so sometimes even though you could write content in a status update, throw it up as an image of text over a background.

Also, though I personally would avoid posting anything related to your own personal agenda (politics, religion etc.), you could also share articles related to the martial arts, things like a breakdown of the latest UFC fight or an interesting blog post etc. that your student's might want to read and shows that you have your finger on the pulse.

Other great things to do:

- tag students or followers in the content you're putting up, this effectively broadcasts the image to their own friends. I wouldn't do this all the time as can be annoying but maybe for certain relevant pictures or status updates
- similarly, use hashtags on content you're posting
- engage with your followers, post status' asking them their favourite technique or form for instance or caption contests
- encourage your students to add their own content: e.g. get them to take a photo of themselves wearing your school shirt or maybe posing with a kick or something when on their travels and have them tag the school on the photo. Turn it into a competition and award the best photo (one with the most likes) free lessons or some merchandise
- make it easy for a casual observer to find out info about your school: make sure the class times, contact info, location are all filled in.

Facebook actually has some guidelines on this: https://www.facebook.com/business/overview
Loads of other great resources out there too: http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/01/30/facebook-advertising-tips

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usefulness of Facebook for business is undeniable and it is very cheap to use as well as having the advantage of being accessible almost anywhere. It is a great tool, especially for advertising. All of the things mentioned in the OP can be posted on a Facebook page and there is an option to allow anyone to view the content.

A good idea is to post photos and information about anything the dojo/school participates in that is not part of regular training. Scheduled tournaments, demonstration events, training camps or other group gathering. Basically anything that gives a causal observer an engaging impression of the dojo and Intice that person to join.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be used as a news update for current students. Class cancellations due to weather is a common one here in NY. Posting pictures of events in and outside the dojo for students to see/have. My dojo has a page that's not really geared to getting new students, but it could be by tweaking some things...

https://m.facebook.com/AdirondackSeidoKarate/

I don't have a Facebook account, so I can't see much passed a certain time period. Yes, I'm one of the five people on earth who doesn't have one.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a Facebook page (in fact, we don't advertise at all), but when I was looking for schools to tryout/compliment my current style, Facebook was a big part of what I looked at.

Websites are good as an overview, but most aren't detailed enough or updated enough to let let you get the "feel" of a place before you decide to visit.

Basically, use a website to give basic information-- class times, programs available, instructor bios, location directions and some pictures, and pricing if you're comfortable (I'm more likely to try a place that puts pricing out upfront rather than making the perspective student call). Your website should be updated every few months and should give perspectives all the information they need to make a decision about visiting your school as well as give them just a taste of what life at your school is like (some pictures, maybe a sample syllabus or a rank chart, etc).

Facebook is more of a running record. While the website is mostly for perspective students and just a little for your current students who need to recheck info or dates, Facebook should be thought of as mostly for your current students with a few things thrown in here and there for perspectives.

Facebook is where you post pictures of day to day training and events, post promotion congratulations or competition videos, provide updates on special events coming up or closings for holidays or weather, etc. Every once and awhile post fun articles or history pages (but don't let that become too much of what you post) and every once and awhile post specials for new students or post about special information sessions for interested students-- that way people who are lurking and reading your page get an invite to come and participate. But the majority should be geared towards building an online community for your current students. Perspective students will pick up on the atmosphere and "flavor" of that community by observing this and it will make them feel like they're already part of your school before they ever walk through the door.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/alphabjj/

Here's a link to ours. We use it EXTENSIVELY for just about everything. As Lupin is saying the best thing about it is that it gives prospects your vibe, or the feel of your school if you're active with it.

We do all of the standard. Contact info, updates, events, offers, etc. We also put up photos of just about every class. Not posed ones as such, but organic ones of people rolling and working. Everyone gets tagged and we see them get downloaded and used in profiles, etc all the time. It's really effective at spreading the work and making friends of friends want to get involved.

We also m make use of the event function regularly. You can check out several of our past ones. This is great, no cost advertising and a great way to get people in the door.

Additionally, we try to use the photo album function for each event. This too gets a lot of attention. We link our videos from our you tube channel to the page each week and put other outside videos and memes up of interest. It give the membership a place to check out goings on and give outside individuals a look at our day to day operations.

We've got a ton of good feedback from it.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys again, and especially you tall-geese. I have checked out your page and it is awesome. I know nothing about FB ads or anything, but I appreciate how clean and organized your page is.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info from everyone here. Our school doesn't have one yet, as far as I know, but I think it is something that we should invest in. So many people are using FB for so many things, from updates to searches, it just makes good sense do it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of really great ideas on this page and information about Facebook for business. DWX made a great layout of some really great ideas.

To be honest I'm not that successful on Facebook because ( or at least I believe it's because) most of my students are children and their parents don't always share the same interest. For the most part I send friends request to my students or students parents to my personal Facebook page, often when I share something from my business page it gets much more attention than it does on the business page itself. I believe that people like a more personable and personal interaction, the business page is harder to get that type of thing. In essence my business page and my personal page work together to give the students/parents a better connection to what's happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: