Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Renewing myself...or at least trying to!! Reply with quote

Since being diagnosed with Afib [Atrial Fibrillaton] and Pre-Diabetic on October 4, 2016, I've been on a journey to save my life, or at least lengthen it as much as it's possible, and according to both my Primary Care Physician (PCP) and my Cardiologist, that journey starts with:

A) Healthy Life Style
B) Strict Diet
C) Losing Weight

I'm 59 years old.

So, starting today, I'll do my best to remember to post in the Health, Training, and Fitness forum, within this topic on a daily basis to record both my ups and downs while on this journey.

Just as in my MA journey, which is now in its 52nd year, as of October 18, 2016, the renewing journey will continue until I take my last breath.

Thus far, since October 4, 2016...

The Healthy Life Style required me to change my mindset from a sedentary life style into a more active/non-sedentary AND healthy lifestyle. As my duties as the SKKA's Kaicho, my Administrative duties took their tolls off and away from the amount of time I spent on the floor. After a long day behind a desk solving and putting out on fire at a time left me very little to no floor time to train and/or to teach Shindokan.

That sedentary lifestyle has been traded in for a much more active lifestyle!!

The Diet, for me, was much more easier to acquire than I had ever thought possible. Listen, I've always had a large appetite, and it's nothing I was proud of, nor was it something I was ashamed of; I thought it was natural to eat.
Now, I eat much smaller portions, and I've cut out salt, sugar, and anything else that was harmful to me, especially with me being Pre-Diabetic. Watching what I eat and how much have gone a long way for me, and in that, I'm very much more conscientious than before across the board. For example, I read every Nutrition Label on the back of anything I buy, so that I will not purchase the wrong food.

I've purchased several books for Pre-Diabetic as well as receiving meal plans from my PCP. I will look into visiting a Nutritionist soon.

I drink, and always have drank over 100 ounces of water. The change in this is I've eliminated soda, kool-aid, sweet tea, gatorade, just to name a few.

Weight loss! That was going to be my Achilles heel. While it's true, if it took awhile to gain that unwanted weight, it's going to take a while to lose that unwanted weight. I hate being called by my doctor, abnormally obesity, to me that was a very nice way, to say fat; there's nothing nice about that at all.

I know that other MAist's judge me on my weight, as well as judging me on any and all of anything that I've earned. Due to my weight, I'm that book that's judged before one ever read, or gets to know, that book. Nonetheless, once those who've judged me because of my weight, change their opinions more favorably about me quickly once they share the floor with me.

In closing, what I'm about to write is what future post in this topic shall be:

October 4th: Weight 326lbs
October 31st: Weight 309lbs
Initial Goal: 260lbs
Final Goal: 215lbs (In One Year)

Average Calorie Burn: 520 daily

Workout: Daily for 1 hour each day

Routines:

1) Stairmaster 20 minutes
2) Treadmill 20 minutes
3) Stationary Bike 10 minutes
4) Free Weights 10 minutes

My gym will be closed after tonight for 2 weeks for remodeling, and will reopen on November 12, 2016.

So, while the gyms closed, I'll do this at home, daily:

1) Core Sets (Side Lunges, Reverse Leg Kick-Ups, Elevated Push-Ups, and Touch Shoulder Planks)...5 Sets of 10 each with no rests in between.
2) Swimming Laps 20 minutes
3) Leg Kicks in the pool while holding onto the side of the pool 20 minutes

Just being true to myself on a daily basis; after all, my life depends on it!!

Sorry for the long OP!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with everything, Sensei. I'm rooting for you.

Almost 20 lbs in less than a month is fantastic. Keep at it.

Pepsi is my Achilles heel. Way too many worthless calories. Seeing a nutritionist is a great step.

A suggestion if I may... Interval training. Rather than lower intensity for long duration, it's short bursts of high intensity followed by longer bursts of lower intensity. Think 1 minute hard work, 3 minutes of light work, alternated for say 25 minutes. Just about all the latest research in exercise physiology finds interval training far more effective in all the positives - fat loss, BP, etc. than anything else. The only clefts will argue over the times of high intensity and low intensity, but there's no real difference IMO, just find times that work for you.

I miss hitting a bag several times a week. Work and family commitment schedule changed. Perhaps go several rounds with the bag every other day? 2 minute rounds with 2 minutes rest for however many rounds you reasonably can.

Last thing (for now), consistently read about healthy stuff. Men's Health Magazine is a great resource. A lot of highly respected people in their, well, respective fields contribute to it. And they do a great job of getting their point across clearly without getting too technical. Research shows consistently reading about healthy diet and lifestyle will keep you on track far better.

Just some thoughts. The key is small and incremental lifestyle changes, not drastic and unsustainable changes.

And again, I'm rooting for you!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Sensei, the you will achieve your goals, it is the type of person you are. Good luck (Although you won't need it), keep us posted on your progress.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all, for your kind and supportive words.

Went to my PCP this afternoon, and he's very pleased with my taking a more positive and proactive ownership thus far. At weigh in today, I weighed 307lbs...2 pounds more off my frame. My next appointment with him will be January 3, 2017, and he set for me a weight goal of losing another 20lbs off my then; not a problem because as of today...19 pounds in 27 days.

He still wants to do a colonoscopy next year, BUT, first I have to be off Eliquis, which is for blood thinning, in order to to that. Reason, if a polyp has to be removed or a gland or whatever, I could bleed to death being on blood thinner. To get off the blood thinner, I have to have a successful Heart Conversion procedure first...meaning, I could be on blood thinner for the rest of my life.

Without Metoprolol, for my blood pressure, AND Eliquis, I could suffer a stroke from a blood clot.

No gym today!!
Swimming:30 minutes!!

Had to reschedule my Echo sonogram from November 14, 2016 to December 12, 2016. Hated to do so, but I had to; I'll have the funds by then. My current insurance sucks, but I'll have BCBS starting in January.

Time to do some Core work!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with everything Bob. Never great to get a diagnosis like that but congratulations on taking a pro-active approach with this and making the change yourself.

If you have any questions about diabetes or the medicines you're taking, and don't want to ask your physician, let me know. My sister and mother are both pharmacists and unfortunately we have a very strong genetic disposition to diabetes. Growing up, both parents, all grandparents and all of my aunts and uncles had it so I know how life changing it can be.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck on this journey, Bob and congratulations on the first 19lbs that's an awesome amount to lose in under a month!!

Mo.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awesome that you're undertaking this journey, and it's awesome that you have a community of people who are incredibly dedicated to supporting that journey. I wish you all the best.

I am worried about the rate of weight lost you're experiencing. 20lbs in a month is a lot, and while it's a great accomplishment, I don't want you to hurt yourself in the process. It's good that you're staying close with your PCP during this process, as they will be able to show you how to remain healthy with that drastic weight lose. Have you also been to a Nutritionist?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck...sounds like you are well on your way.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I thank you all for your supportive words, they mean everything to me; these aren't idle words!!

Today:

Swimming: 45 minutes
Cardio: Walked up and down stairs at the apartment I live at...50 times

For the next two day...

I'll be going to the gym for an hour and a half at one of the sister locations of the gym I attend.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you on top of this, Bob, and really taking charge. Keep at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21
Jump to: