Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Respect to the Dojo Reply with quote

Had a really good class last night, spent an hour just on Shuto. We did real brain-testing work on it and I feel really positive it's sunk in.

Our Dojo is a multi-use sports hall within a communal centre, and typically there will be a line of parents waiting for their kids, and also smaller kids with parents where siblings are training with the adults. Last night I was distracted more than a few times with youngsters running about around the sides and across the floor, during Bunkai breakouts. I wanted to scream at them to have some respect, but I reckon that's a pretty serious way to undermine Sensei. I also know I can't actually scream at them, or the parents.

So, without upsetting or showing disrespect - do I have a quiet word with Sensei, or should I try to tell the parents as I'm being distracted?

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a quiet word with the sensei and let him know you were distracted and worried about the safety of the kids running across the floor while the adults are training (that'd be my worry, at least). Let him talk to the parents and set/enforce any rules he feels necessary to combat the problem. It's HIS dojo and it's up to him to manage it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's stopping you from speaking with your Sensei about your concerns; that's up to you. As far as saying something to any parent or whomever else about your concerns, on your own, I'd say that that responsibility belongs to your Sensei, and no one else...unless you're directed to do so by your Sensei.

Know your role!! Assuming a position that you don't possess is one of the worse thing a student can do!! If all of those distractions don't bother your Sensei, then, if it was me, I'd not say a word, whatsoever!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil and water don't mix.

Children alongside or under the feet of adults practicing martial arts is a health hazard and an unnecessary distraction.

The children should be in an area quietly warming up or practicing their katas, under strict supervision away from the (live) active area of the dojo.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Know your role!! Assuming a position that you don't possess is one of the worse thing a student can do!!

Precisely the point of the question! Thank you.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the title reads, as well suggests,..."Respect for the Dojo", if one can't and/or won't respect the Dojo, then how can one respect the Sensei of said Dojo; they both must be, and receive the same.

How can we serve one, but not serve the other?? Especially, when, imho, they are both inseparable. A student is a guest of the Sensei, as well as of the Dojo, and in that regards, ones proper manners should always be on display, and not because it's polite thing to do, but because it's the right thing to do.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that the parents would do a better job of keeping their kids under wraps. But, as mentioned, I don't see anything wrong with voicing your concerns to your sensei. After all, you are a paying customer, and those distractions, especially if they are running around on the floor, take away from the time you pay for to train. Just respectfully approach your instructor about your concerns, and see if anything gets done about it.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question...

Are these karate students and parents, or are they kids from the communal center?

Either way, it's the sensei's job to address this. I agree with bringing it to his attention privately and respectfully, but it's his job.

catlike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Are these karate students and parents, or are they kids from the communal center?

We have a small class, generally about 5-10 adults, so Sensei invites the higher graded kids to train with us to bulk the numbers a bit. The parents sit on chairs alongside the training area (no mats, no marked floor, just a hall) with their other (younger) kids.. Very often the parents are yapping, or their attention is on their phones etc, so they don't really see things happen until they've happened.

Wasn't as bad last week, but we still had a bit of a fuss when the youngest one (must be about 2, is a toddler) toddled between people practising front kicks. Nothing happened, and it wasn't me involve, but it broke my focus and made me more conscious about where I was putting my feet.

Perhaps that's a good thing

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catlike wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

We have a small class, generally about 5-10 adults, so Sensei invites the higher graded kids to train with us to bulk the numbers a bit. The parents sit on chairs alongside the training area (no mats, no marked floor, just a hall) with their other (younger) kids.. Very often the parents are yapping, or their attention is on their phones etc, so they don't really see things happen until they've happened.

Wasn't as bad last week, but we still had a bit of a fuss when the youngest one (must be about 2, is a toddler) toddled between people practising front kicks. Nothing happened, and it wasn't me involve, but it broke my focus and made me more conscious about where I was putting my feet.

Perhaps that's a good thing

If it's people who are there for the sensei's class (students' parents, siblings, etc.), then it's his responsibility. If it was people not connected, then there's not much he can do except talk to whoever's in charge.

I love parents who forget they're watching their kids. In this day and age, if that toddler got hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if they sued. Amazed, yes; surprised, no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: