Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
Here's a roundhouse movement that I haven't seen before:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2360483_roundhouse-kick-koden-kan-martial.html

It starts off like a front kick, then flips over to the roundhouse execution. It's deceptive, but it's not a tournament sparring trick; it's the way the kick is done in Koden Kan.

Reminds me of the "Screwdriver" piercing side kick we'd discussed in another thread.

I know sensei8's already said this, but the lack of anything but thigh power in that is a deal-breaker for me.... It's true that sometimes any contact is better than a strong kick that's too slow to hit, providing it does enough damage to let you follow up before the opponent shrugs it off and thumps you. Still, compromising power that badly should be the exception rather than habitual. It may sound ok on a target due to the large surface area producing a bigger clapping sound, but that can be deceptive....

Cheers,
Tony

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonydee wrote:

I know sensei8's already said this, but the lack of anything but thigh power in that is a deal-breaker for me.... It's true that sometimes any contact is better than a strong kick that's too slow to hit, providing it does enough damage to let you follow up before the opponent shrugs it off and thumps you.

I wonder if it's a good one for going really low--like the opponent's knee as the target. Then you follow-up, but I think a follow-up is expected whatever you do.

Dark Planet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwon, Kum Do, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace.

I think it would be too simplistic to reduce the kick to nothing more than thigh power. The foot is still retaining most of the energy it had coming into the chambering through the kick, but like any physics, a change in direction is a decrease in velocity.

An advantage it has is a very deceptive kick. The most powerful kick can be worthless against an elbow block, but when there is no block, even a mediocre kick can be stunning.

I agree that it seems to be no finisher, but it's a set for the spike.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the Koden Kan roundhouse kick....

If anyone has the December 2009 issue of Black Belt, Kenji Yamaki uses this same idea for his mawashi geri and he's made it work often for himself in knockdown fights. The idea behind it is throwing your front, side, and roundhouse kick all from the same high chamber so you can hit all three zones (low, middle, and high) with all three kicks at any time and your opponent will never know what's coming.

shimizu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate (and ITF Tae Kwon-Do)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Roundhouse Kick Preferences Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
What are your roundhouse kick preferences? Do you strike with the instep or the ball of the foot? Do you spar in class and/or tournaments with high kicks to the head? Do you go straight for the ribs, or try an "angle" for the roundhouse to get under the elbow and to the ribs? Do you work the heavy bag or a kick shield the same way you fight?

Do you use the Muay Thai-style kick, hitting with the lower shin? Do you strike to the thighs of your opponent?

Do you throw the kick from the lead leg, the rear leg, or with a hop or step--or even a jump--and then the kick? Do you multi-kick with the roundhouse, such as kicking two or three times with that same leg?

Anything I missed?

Hi, I don't like roundhouse kicking with the ball of my foot yet it is the technical way that it should be done in my TKD and that is what I have to do for gradings and stuff but for sparring or in karate - my preference is definitely the instep of the foot, i like to throw the kick from my rear leg and just once if hitting hard but making sure the kick is really powerful or a couple of times off my lead leg if trying to catch out/score points in competitions. hope this helped in anyway

Get'erDone
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Kyukoshin, Judo and Self-Defense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it varies depending whether I'm sparring under no contact or semi-contact/full-contact rules. For the former, I kick with the top of the foot usually around the chest area. Thigh kicks aren't allowed, however, kicks at the butt level are allowed. For the latter, I use shin kicks. For both, I kick from either the lead or rear foot. If I do a head-kick, which isn't particularly common, it's only with my right leg because it's easier and I have an issue doing it with my left leg.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends purely on where i'm aiming and whether if i am wanting to cause damage.

If i went for a thigh kick i use my shin, ribs pull toes back for a self defense situation; pointed toes for class if i don't want to cause damage. kicks to head toes pointed.

SteyrAUG
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Depends very much on the situation.

And THAT is why there are so many variations of a roundhouse kick. "One size fits all" solutions are rarely effective.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
What are your roundhouse kick preferences? Do you strike with the instep or the ball of the foot? Do you spar in class and/or tournaments with high kicks to the head? Do you go straight for the ribs, or try an "angle" for the roundhouse to get under the elbow and to the ribs? Do you work the heavy bag or a kick shield the same way you fight?

Do you use the Muay Thai-style kick, hitting with the lower shin? Do you strike to the thighs of your opponent?

Do you throw the kick from the lead leg, the rear leg, or with a hop or step--or even a jump--and then the kick? Do you multi-kick with the roundhouse, such as kicking two or three times with that same leg?

Anything I missed?

All of the above, plus feints/"fakes".

SteyrAUG wrote:
DWx wrote:
Depends very much on the situation.

And THAT is why there are so many variations of a roundhouse kick. "One size fits all" solutions are rarely effective.

Exactly

Wado Ryu Karate Student
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am struggling with learning roundhouse....I have been struggling since xmas. I know what the problem is...over extension of my hips. I've spoken to my Sensei about this. I've tried everything he's mentioned and I still cannot do this kick...it's getting me really down
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: