Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Ryu Karate Student wrote:
I am struggling with learning roundhouse....I have been struggling since xmas. I know what the problem is...over extension of my hips. I've spoken to my Sensei about this. I've tried everything he's mentioned and I still cannot do this kick...it's getting me really down

You might not understand this bit of advice, but, I believe it might help you. So, here it goes...

Step completely away from the roundhouse kick, but only for now!! Train some other area, but step away from training your roundhouse kick. Then, when the time is right, come back with a FRESH eye and mind, and then, and only then, train the roundhouse kick as it was meant to be.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Roundhouse Kick Preferences Reply with quote

Do you strike with the instep or the ball of the foot?
Both actually, depending on target, opponent positioning, environment, etc.

Do you spar in class and/or tournaments with high kicks to the head?
NEVER!

Do you go straight for the ribs, or try an "angle" for the roundhouse to get under the elbow and to the ribs?
Again, it depends on target, opponent positioning, environment, etc.

Do you work the heavy bag or a kick shield the same way you fight? Absolutely!
Why practice something you won't use?

Do you use the Muay Thai-style kick, hitting with the lower shin? Do you strike to the thighs of your opponent?
Both are targets, however the kicking style is different than Muay Thai in that we never commit our entire bodys into a technique. It's great if you make contact, but if you miss..you're very exposed and vulnerable.

Do you throw the kick from the lead leg, the rear leg, or with a hop or step--or even a jump--and then the kick?
All of the above are viable techniques, but we don't tend to jump much.

Do you multi-kick with the roundhouse, such as kicking two or three times with that same leg?
Yes, but most often a low kick to say the knee, then up to the ribs if yoru opponent bends down to block the first kick. Again, it all depends onb the situation.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Wado Ryu Karate Student
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to learn Round house now 'cos I need to know it for my next grading. My Sensei could ask me to do Round house in a class at any time. It doesn't make sense to not try and learn it at home

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle with high roundhouse kicks. I can get them up there, but there's not much power behind it. I'll throw it during sparring so I can improve, but I don't see myself throwing it at the head during self defense.

My preference is at thigh height or lower. Side of the lower legs makes a great strike and sweep at the same time. My dojo teaches instep, but I'm all about the lower shin in the roundhouse. So much more striking force for me. Instep for head height though.

In sparring, I'll throw a roundhouse at low thigh height then one at head height without touching down. Haven't tried it in a real situation and don't see myself doing it any time soon.

In self defense, the ribs are the absolute highest I'll go, as a counter to an over swung punch maybe. Shin as the weapon, getting that solid "thud" I can't get with the instep.

I'm far more effective with inside-out crescent kicks and hook kicks to the head than the roundhouse. Just the way I'm built, I guess. Doesn't keep me from trying the roundhouse in sparring though. That's the only way to get better.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as self defense goes, my preferred round house kick is the shin kick to the siatic nerve or knee.

Sparring I'll do a double tap with the instep (a low then high to the head) to try and score the hit, or do something like Kempo combination 8 (a feign front kick into a round house kick either to the thigh or head).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: