Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Running and karate, flexibility Reply with quote

Hi there

I usually hit the dojo 3 times a week and on off days do stretching, maybe some kata, etc. I do a bit of cardio (I do zumba two days a week) but I recently thought that maybe it'd be a good idea to add some light jogging / running in on my off days.

The first day was hell, I tried pushing it too hard but today I went at a comfortable pace and enjoyed it. However, my legs feel a bit tight.

My thinking was, well, my cardio is a bit lacking and being in good physical condition across the board will for sure help my karate. Still seems logical to me. Just wondering if this interferes with flexibility or if there are any drawbacks. General opinions from more experienced karateka would be great.

(Yes, I did do about 10-15 minutes of my usual stretching after my run)

Thanks

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why this should interfere with your flexibility. I would suggest, however, trying out a specific running program. I also hated running, but personally did C25K and found running to become more enjoyable. It's just a different type of exercise.

What is your stretching routine before and after your run? Usually, when I run, I do a warm up and cool down walk in lieu of stretching.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I don't see why this should interfere with your flexibility. I would suggest, however, trying out a specific running program. I also hated running, but personally did C25K and found running to become more enjoyable. It's just a different type of exercise.

What is your stretching routine before and after your run? Usually, when I run, I do a warm up and cool down walk in lieu of stretching.

Hi Zaine - my CI has given me a set of stretches to work on my flexibility for yoko geri mainly but also mawashi geri and mae geri. So I usually do some general leg stretching to loosen up the muscles then do my regimen for the kicks. Although a walk does sound quite pleasant.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a brisk walk before a run. It's like when you start your car to warm it up in the winter before taking it out on the road. It allows your joints and muscles to get some low impact movement, and makes ramping it up into a run a lot better for you.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back into a running routine for the summer...would like to get back to 4x/week but I'm at 3 for now. More longer distances (5+ miles per run) because I usually like to do a few races a year. Started running later in life and my running pace is more of a jog, but I do what I can...

Sometimes I will do some light dynamic stretching before a run, mainly so I don't pull something. Most times I usually just go, figure as long as I don't run too fast at the beginning the first 1/2 mile or so will be the warmup.

While I'm a big fan of running as a way to keep baseline cardio up, I have found that "running cardio" isn't quite the same as "karate cardio".

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hammer said, "running cardio" isn't the same as "karate cardio." Running (distance running) is highly aerobic, while karate is highly anaerobic. They require different biological/metabolic process to produce energy to keep you going at it. Aerobic training will shorten recovery time and should be done, but it's not the be all, end all of conditioning for karateka. Not even close.

If you really want to gain endurance for karate, do interval training. You'll see far better gains, and quicker too. Interval training is alternating high intensity exercise and low intensity exercise. So if running is your thing, you'd jog for say 2 minutes, all-out sprint for 30 seconds, and repeat for however long, such as 30 minutes total. The key is to get your heart rate to near maximum during sprints, and get to near that alleged "fat burning zone" during jogging. It doesn't have to be running; it could be any physical activity. The most important thing is to keep track of your heart rate. Either something like a Fitbit or a Polar heart rate monitor makes it easy and effective. The better you monitor your heart rate, the more effective it'll be.

There's a ton of information out there on interval training. Experts will argue times, but they're all in agreement on interval training. It's pretty much a universal recommendation, unless you have some medical issues.

All I know is I did a ton of cardio, like running, elliptical, rowing, etc. I hated it, and quite honestly I felt like it didn't do much for me. Interval training has worked quite well for me.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with running, look at Rafael Aghayev. His training includes trail running. His legs are powerhouses, you just never see it cos of his gi.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shortyafter!

I enjoy Zumba but Love Batuka.

Sprinting works better for me than jogging and running.

I do a crazy amout of stretching and strengthening exercises with ankle weights and thick thera bands.

I find that the more I train the more my body responds to my wishes.

My daily workouts give me a natural high, releasing endorphins.

I have no specific goals in my workouts but do finish off with an optimal performance in one form or another that relates to exercises.

My personal challenge is to become good at canon kicks at the moment, this is also a focus challenge, something that I can visibly see and feel the benefits of practicing it, that is for show and exercises, not for serious fighting porpoises.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Hi shortyafter!

I do a crazy amout of stretching and strengthening exercises with ankle weights and thick thera bands.

I have no specific goals in my workouts but do finish off with an optimal performance in one form or another that relates to exercises.

My personal challenge is to become good at canon kicks at the moment, this is also a focus challenge, something that I can visibly see and feel the benefits of practicing it, that is for show and exercises, not for serious fighting porpoises.

Hi there Alan Armstrong, thanks for the response - I enjoyed hearing your perspective. And also great to see a fellow Zumba fan. I hadn't heard of Batuka but looks cool!

I agree and have also found that my workouts are all related - my zumba helps my karate and my karate helps my zumba, and on and on. It's all about learning to control my body and using it in a healthy and fun way. Also in a way that helps me to grow as a person. More so in the case of karate but I think it's important to let go of the constant drive to improve and just enjoy the moment - and zumba is great for that.

So I like your idea about having no goal in mind. Obviously I enjoy more but I also find I do better at karate and other activities when I let go of results. Thanks again for the perspective - good luck with the canon kicks!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Hi shortyafter!

Hi there Alan Armstrong, thanks for the response - I enjoyed hearing your perspective. And also great to see a fellow Zumba fan. I hadn't heard of Batuka but looks cool!

I agree and have also found that my workouts are all related - my zumba helps my karate and my karate helps my zumba, and on and on. It's all about learning to control my body and using it in a healthy and fun way. Also in a way that helps me to grow as a person. More so in the case of karate but I think it's important to let go of the constant drive to improve and just enjoy the moment - and zumba is great for that.

So I like your idea about having no goal in mind. Obviously I enjoy more but I also find I do better at karate and other activities when I let go of results. Thanks again for the perspective - good luck with the canon kicks!

Thanks shortyafter.

Butuka is based on latin dance move but also incorporates boxing and capoeira. This can be found on YouTube.

Zumba as you know involves world dance moves from different places and styles.

In my earlier days in the1980s it was Karate and Dancing funk. One really did help the other.

As Bruce Lee was a Cha Cha champion while practicing Wing Chun.

So I've never had any doubts about mixing any type of dance with martial arts.

At the moment I'm mixing Ballet conditioning with kicking coordination.

Also Batuka is a great warm up before heading to the sports park for a workout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: