Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone belonged to a school or club where an outsider came in for the express reason of challenging someone to a bout? No personal reasons, a completely honorable challenge to test his/her skills against the best in your school.

According to some stories it used to be quite common "back in the day". Does anyone see this anymore?

Have any of you who have trained in the far east seen or heard of it still happening?

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen it in my school, and my instructor probably wouldn't allow it. I've never trained in the far east, either.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my old kung fu school has received challenges (albeit not barbaric or threatening ones, but usually just people from other schools asking if we just wanted to 'experiment'). Although carried out in a professional and friendly manner, my kwoon has always come out on top. This obviously doesn't say much though since it says a lot about the schools if they actually make an effort to go around challenging people, although one school that challenged us had a good reputation. We have had challengers from taekwondo to muay thai to wing chun. I am not longer a member of this place, just for information purposes, LOL.

Once again though, I feel that if you are confident and credible that you should feel no need to prove yourself.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea my school was challanged but the school owner turned it down. He felt that he didn't need to prove anything since the other leader was a ****y kid.

Maybe bad pr huk!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day ... the 80's .....Wow.... wasn't there a movie made about that???

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen that happen and I think anyone wanting to do that at our Dojo ought to have their head read.

I have trained in Japan for one year back in 1982 and I never saw that happen nor heard of that while I was there.

Doesnt mean it couldnt happen though

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-03-12 23:48 ]

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had this once. My response was to ask the guy to step outside so that we could fight. He asked wether we should do it in the club, where there where mats, and we should warm up first and agree rules. No - I told him that in the club we train and that he was more than welcoem tom join us in that training. if he wanted to FIGHT then we would do it outside, no warm up, no rules, NOW. He declined.

The watched us train, nearly **** himself when he saw what we do, and was never seen again.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw it happen and don't think our Sensei would allow it anyway. If they want to test themselves why don't they just attend a competition?

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although unrelated to me or my school, I heard that a rival kung fu school gathered about 20 members and broke into a Choy Li Fut school in our Chinatown and attacked the members there. It was kind of like an old-fashioned type of beating. Anyways, I heard it was sickeningly hilarious. The guys were yelling and making obnoxious testerone-laden sounds that would make good footage for WWF or Jerry Springer. My friend's little cousin knew somebody who went to that school, and he said that there was around 20 assailants/attackers as opposed to only about 10 max (not all high-ranked obviously) people training at the time at the Choy Li Fut place. Anyways I can't believe that this crap still happens, it is only good for a laugh nowadays. Back then I guess it was done to show the superiority of one's kwoon or style over others, but nowadays it's all about the bling bling (i.e. McDojos, cash flow, etc.) that gives u power, not the strength of your iron palm. :spitlaugh:

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-13 11:23 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a buddy of mine trained at a muay thai place and the taekwon-do dojang down the street challeged them.........needless to say that the taekwon-do guys got their * handed to them!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: