Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

This may offer some insight to the mind set of division ....

I have become aware that my old school has split again! Same name, as far as I can tell, and almost in each other packets (regarding proximity to each other).
All as far as I can tell of the original BBs moved to the new club and dojo with my old instructor.
One of the guys I used to spar with runs the old club form the old hall where my old sensai runs the other dojo form the new hall with all the other BBs!

(I met with my old sensei (now Shihan) the other year and he added some detail to the fact that there was a difference of opinion with respect to another sensei and it was then that it broke apart.)

Both clubs operate a very different clubs form when I was started in MA, nothing like what was done when I was training, bleeding and sweating!

Its sad to me, one was a student with me under the same teacher, and now they will not speak.
(But we do that in life with friends, parents, brothers sisters the pet dog....its life)

I feel like that friend in a divorce! not wanting to, having no desire to pick sides but feeling as if that is the expectation if I was to be seen with one or the other.

politics...really

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:

Cool!

This may offer some insight to the mind set of division ....

I have become aware that my old school has split again! Same name, as far as I can tell, and almost in each other packets (regarding proximity to each other).
All as far as I can tell of the original BBs moved to the new club and dojo with my old instructor.
One of the guys I used to spar with runs the old club form the old hall where my old sensai runs the other dojo form the new hall with all the other BBs!

(I met with my old sensei (now Shihan) the other year and he added some detail to the fact that there was a difference of opinion with respect to another sensei and it was then that it broke apart.)

Both clubs operate a very different clubs form when I was started in MA, nothing like what was done when I was training, bleeding and sweating!

Its sad to me, one was a student with me under the same teacher, and now they will not speak.
(But we do that in life with friends, parents, brothers sisters the pet dog....its life)

I feel like that friend in a divorce! not wanting to, having no desire to pick sides but feeling as if that is the expectation if I was to be seen with one or the other.

politics...really

Solid post!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recently happened in my school, though the separation happened on amicable terms. This is also a pretty old phenomenon (for example, how many different styles of taekwondo, karate, or kung fu are there?) Schools splinter off all the time, and I think this is healthy for martial arts. It's even better if they come together on occasion to teach each other.

I don't only see this in martial arts. In academia, universities do not typically hire their own PhD students as professors, as that's considered academic inbreeding. The idea is to learn something, and take your ideas and training elsewhere .
This prevents stagnation in the university, and generally promotes a healthier research/teaching environment. Granted, it would be a mess for martial arts if we operated in this way, but what if we did?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: