Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Again, there's no competition between Shindokan dojo's, and this INCLUDES the Hombu.

My very first dojo was 5 miles, 16 traveling minutes, away from our Hombu, on the same east to west street; Sherman Way. No, that's not across the street, but the proximity might seem to close for others, whereas others might think that the distance between the two are just right. Soke enjoyed that some of his networked dojo's were bunched together because it made traveling to them more agreeable for him. The congesting of travel that is the Valley, can be more than a leisure Sunday drive.

Ours, I suppose, is not a 2D mindset, but more of a 3D mindset as to how Soke framed his thinking on this subject.

I think that's a great distance. While 5 miles may seem like a short distance, it's the time itself that makes all the difference for some.

A lot of the time, I think more of the travel time over the distance in miles. Under normal conditions, 5 miles can be traveled in 5 minutes, or 1 mile per minute. The 16 minutes takes those 5 miles because Sherman Way, being a major road that stretches all the way across the Valley from the west to the east and back, is riddled with quite a lot of traffic lights. Rush hour on Sherman Way, isn't bogged down with long periods of standing still...it's all of those crazy lights. Sure, there are a lot of vehicles, to be sure, it's just that that congestion is just life on Sherman Way, or many of its major streets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: