Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headbutts are better if they are framed. Try getting an overhook with your left arm and frame against their neck with your right forearm in a standing grappling situation. Safe headbutts to the temple all day.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most certainly usef headbutts with ground fighting no matter the size of my opponent.

If the opponent is on his back and you are in any type of mounted position, headbutts are more devastating because no matter which way the opponent turns his head, he is going to get banged up very badly and temple shots are more devestaing than nose shots.

Gravity is on the head-butt delivers side also, being on top the opponent has the added danger of getting the back of the head damaged also, with every head-butt!

Repetitive head-butting while on the ground is a very vicious technique to use on an opponent; added with banging the back of the opponent's head to the ground is going to cause some serious concussion or head trauma.

Luckily enough I still have hair. If I was bald, I would not like to show off the lumps and bumps that hair hides.

A good defence to a head-butt is to nod the head forward or pull your chin down to you neck; as if looking through your eyebrows. This will protect your own nose and will be setting yourself up to give a head-butt of your own.

A quick finger jab to the opponent's throat can be used effectively to intercept an anticipated head-butt atack or an incoming hock punch.

Any type of technique that reverses the downward blow of your attacker's head-butt with your upward interceptive blow such ad an upward palm strike to the chin or elbow strike will work just as well.

If the opponent has hair, then grab a handful with one hand, while grabbing and pushing the opponent face up and over backwards with the other hand.
This will throw the attacker backwards, causing that person to land on their back.

As many confrontations are usually started off by attacking the face or head, stay out of range, so as not to be sucker head-butted or punched out. Many put the 'I'm tuffer than you stance' towards their opponent and get knocked out in the first few seconds of a fight.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it's the Glasgow kiss. And it's definitely a popular technique used on the streets here in Scotland. I've seen many fights ended as soon as somebody uses the headbutt. It can be devastating when done properly, the nose just explodes. I think it's so popular here because the males (and it's always males I've seen using it) tend to puff out their chests and stand nose to nose trying to assert their alpha male status, leaving themselves wide open to a headbutt.

Mo.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mazzybear rightly points out the alpha male status. Rams by name and by nature use the head-butt. Seems familiar with humans using animal attributes such as with the Shaolin monks.

In the late 1950's ealry 60's in the UK, the male teens of the time would sew thumb tacks in to their coat lapels. As head-butts wear usually accompanied with an unexpected lapel grab. Must have been a surprise for some of the nutters of that time, to grab a handful of thumbtacks.

This head-butt topic must have a long history. The popular tv program 'Black Adder' had a very active and 'Rambunctious' character (Lord Flashheart) for the Elizabethan time.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People act like they should use the head as an impact tool like a fist. The head can't take that much abuse! Don't just ram it into things like a moose. There are a few protruding targets on the face that are very vulnerable, like the nose, the underside of the jaw, and the ear. The head can be used against those to great effect with little danger to yourself.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
People act like they should use the head as an impact tool like a fist. The head can't take that much abuse! Don't just ram it into things like a moose. There are a few protruding targets on the face that are very vulnerable, like the nose, the underside of the jaw, and the ear. The head can be used against those to great effect with little danger to yourself.
A head-butt to the opponent's chest is a quick and effective way of defending against a bear hug from the front or if the opponent is taller than you are.

Bone rubbing techniques are done with bone against bone. The forehead can be modified in to a bone rubbing technique (on the opponent's face or on vulnerability location, suggested by JusticeZero) if there isn't enough space to launch a head-butt correctly

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:

Hey, good to see you, Justice!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many mammals head-butt, to win dominace over another head-butting male, to win the right to breed with the females. Thus insuring his bloodline to continue.

Perhaps this head-butting ritual among Alpha males, has existed so far back in human history, that we don't relate to it instantly, but perhaps when a soccer player scores a goal with his head, that there is still a primitive genetic connection that is still very much alive.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A head butt is one of the very best close-range techniques. It even works when the enemy is to close for anything else or when it is difficult to use hands or elbows. Like everything else, it is something that should be trained and it would not be considered a waste to train and strengthen the neck and shoulders which give the head butt most of its power.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was accidentally head butted by a horse, at the age of 14, someone surprised the horse on the right and I happen to be standing on the left; all of a sudden, WHAM!!

The "Headbutt" surprise factor combined with the close up instant wham effect, is like the "pull in case of emergency" that can stop a train in it's tracks.

As a street fight can be described as an emergency, all that is needed is to know instinctively when to pull it off; that is usually 1/10th of a second before the fight starts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: