Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Self defense in heels Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/shortcuts/2015/dec/14/self-defence-high-heels-avital-zeisler

https://youtu.be/8bSNkwLxHUY

The article is a bit tongue in cheek but I highly recommend watching the video on this. Let's face it, most women do and will continue to wear heels during the work day or to certain events so some thought should be taken in how to defend yourself when wearing them. Most martial arts training is barefoot and heels present additional challenges compared to trainers or flat shoes. Has anyone (female or instructors maybe) given much thought to this? Has anyone ever discussed such a thing with their wives, girlfriends, daughters etc.?

In the video I quite liked the way she broke down the tactics:

Tactic 1: take your shoes off if it is safe and you have the ability to do so
Tactic 2: running away in heels
Tactic 3: defending yourself in heels
Tactic 4: using the heel as an improvised weapon

I can appreciate this topic is more geared towards our female posters but I think it would still be useful for instructors to think about for their students or even just you gents who have female patners or family members... So with that in mind, what kind of techniques would you teach or promote to your students taking heels into consideration?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heels are a strange bit of fashion and besides supposedly enhancing the appeal of how women walk, they are not of much practical use. They impair walking and make running very dangerous with the awkward position in which the shoes force the entire leg and put heavy stress on the ankle. Especially the tendons of the heals. Wearing heels habitually for long periods can cause stress injuries in that area.

High heels are for looking good, but probably the last pair of shoes a woman would want to be wearing if she had to go any faster than a brisk walk. Never mind trying to run away from something or someone. The first sensible thing to do with heels is to remove them. They are more useful off than on.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Heels are a strange bit of fashion and besides supposedly enhancing the appeal of how women walk, they are not of much practical use. They impair walking and make running very dangerous with the awkward position in which the shoes force the entire leg and put heavy stress on the ankle. Especially the tendons of the heals. Wearing heels habitually for long periods can cause stress injuries in that area.

High heels are for looking good, but probably the last pair of shoes a woman would want to be wearing if she had to go any faster than a brisk walk. Never mind trying to run away from something or someone. The first sensible thing to do with heels is to remove them. They are more useful off than on.

I completely agree with your points Spartacus. Fact is though most women will still choose to wear them irregardless and there's a good chance they might be wearing them in a situation that required some form of self defense.

It's not always easy to get them damn things off either!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is somewhat extreme, but there are some people who choose their shoes and other clothing based on how well one can move in them and how little they might restrict movements. These people avoid wearing anything that might slow them down in case a situation required them to react to any kind of sudden hazard.

Of course women enjoy a bit of fashion and some social occasions require it. When going out to a party or other such social function, having to run for safety is not the first thing that comes to mind.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High heeled shoes can be a very powerful weapon. Ever see the movie Single White Female?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
High heeled shoes can be a very powerful weapon. Ever see the movie Single White Female?
Yep, exactly what I was thinking!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
Yep, exactly what I was thinking!

I'll third that!!

el-peligroso
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Jujutsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

LOL - I've seen girls do some pretty acrobatic stuff and run pretty fast in heels.

Although, I used to be a bouncer in strip clubs and night clubs back in the day so I've seen some stuff . . . haha
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When girls are in heels I think they call it "dressed to kill"

High heel weaponry has been around as long as the mini skirt. Stiletto heels can do some serious damage, especially when incorporating stomping techniques. The elephant principle of alot of weight concentrated in to a small area; as in the heel of a stiletto.

Would suggest not wearing expensive heels, only reason is that one might be reluctant to use them as a weapon, just in case they get damaged.

YouTube has videos of women using high heels for self-defense.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us male instructors, it's difficult to teach self-defense across the board, well it is for me, because it's difficult to compare what the pros and cons are from a male perspective for the simple fact is that male's don't wear any type of high-heels. While I can see through observation some of the many difficulties females have wearing high-heels, I've not one iota of a clue and no comparison to reflect upon.

So, while I'll not teach that type of class directly because of the reasons I've just stated. What I'll do is have a female instructor run the class and I'll assist. Between me and a female instructor, who has the better understanding in this area??...me or her?? Yeah, HER, all the way. So it makes perfect since to assist her, instead of her assisting me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: