Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Semi knockdown kumite at 50+? Reply with quote

New to Kyokushin (2 years) but not new to MA (did TKD for 14 years). Current rank is 7th Kyu (Blue with Yellow stripe). Will be 52 YO in June.

There's a tournament coming up in about 6 weeks that I will be competing in. I'm definitely going to compete in kata but I'm still not sure about kumite. It's semi-knockdown rules which from what I've seen is basically knockdown with protective gear. I'd be competing against 35+ YO males ranking from 10th to 5th Kyu, but from what I can see there's no weight division. I'm under 180 lb so if there were weight divisions I would not be in the heavyweight one.

I have been attending additional fighter's workouts for a while so I'd consider myself to be in pretty good shape for my age and size, but I'm not rock solid or particularly strong. If possible, my approach would be to fight smarter and try to make shots count instead of trying to out-power an opponent. Guessing pain is going to happen and I've done enough tests to know what hard contact is like but we usually spar with light contact in class. Main goal (aside from enjoying the experience) would be to avoid injury and at least win one match.

Any thoughts on whether I should go for it?

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you know your body & your confidence level in your own abilities. But, if you're asking others what you should do, my guess is you've made up your mind to do it, but are wondering if it's a good idea. I get that. I'm 48, have trained for a long time & still wonder if doing "X" event is a good idea. I can't answer your question for you. Talk with your sensei & get her/his opinion. Talk with your significant other & discuss it with them. They have a better idea than we do of your ability & desire.

All my best to you.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely leaning towards it mainly because we are traveling a distance to go and it's hard to justify going all the way to just do one kata. Just have never done full contact in competition before...and at this age it's not like I will bounce back quite as quickly...

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Definitely leaning towards it mainly because we are traveling a distance to go and it's hard to justify going all the way to just do one kata. Just have never done full contact in competition before...and at this age it's not like I will bounce back quite as quickly...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have video of me at 20, & video of my last test last summer. I fight smarter now, but I don't kick as high. I had a 1 1/2 massage afterward because I could hardly walk after my test. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. My best to you!

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my shodan August last year,had to fight 20 guys at knockdown after a 3 day test to earn the right the put the belt on... 47 year old !

Earlier the year before I completed my novice fights and am now an 'open' fighter!
(Could be fun... possibly short but fun none the-less!)

If I may offer, your are not made of glass, if feels like you are, but you are not, two or three strikes in and the uncertainty vanishes and everything comes into focus, fight the man not the grade.

Relax and above all enjoy!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed up...Sensei is comfortable with me competing, he now has me working on tactics to deal with "bigger" fighters.

Still wish my physical conditioning was better but it will be what it will be.

Spouse isn't crazy about me signing up...maybe I shouldn't have shown her any videos of kumite matches.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Signed up...Sensei is comfortable with me competing, he now has me working on tactics to deal with "bigger" fighters.

Spouse isn't crazy about me signing up...maybe I shouldn't have shown her any videos of kumite matches.

I don't think at any point in my life I didn't wish my conditioning was better. Looking back at how I was in such great shape when I was wrestling, I never felt like it was good enough at the time.

Do the best you can do and don't get hung up on it. You've got age and life experience on your side. Make them come to you and outsmart them. Make them pay for every mistake they make. Don't try to outpace them.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:

LOL!

I hear that!

When I first mentioned about coming back to MA,to my wife she new nothing about MA at all, or the Ryu that I was going to pick back up again!
She did some research for the one I do ... and now she thinks I'm a complete head case!!

LOL!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I survived...

Lost both matches but I lasted through each of them. Being told about the intensity and being on the receiving end of it are two different things...I've gone hard for a test before, but it's different in the tournament setting when you and your opponent are intentionally trying to cause pain to each other.

Think my physical conditioning was as good as it could have been, just need to be more mentally prepared the next time I get in the ring.

On the plus side, I won 1st in kata in my ring...

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done hammer!

Fun wasn't it?

Yes, Intensity ... like I said you not made of glass, so getting tagged is an eye opened for sure, but after the initial shock I guess covers that moment, things come into focus.
Then its down to conditioning and intensity!

The work rate of some fighters is (no surprises here) high to start with or at the end at around the 30 sec bell!
The trick as it were is to gauge the other guy feel form the contact if he is weakening as time passes or not, and adjust your efforts as best you can, fight the person not the grade!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: