Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Shureido Nunchaku Reply with quote

Been trying to find ways to legally obtain some red oak, lightweight and thin Shureido Nunchaku.

Since Shureido USA is based in California, I can't order them myself as I'm not a licensed instructor or own a dojo. I even tried emailing Shureido in Okinawa, but they don't have the lightweight model in stock.

Also tried messaging a few people on Ebay to see if they could order a pair for me. No luck.

Kind of at a loss at this point and don't know what to do.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When face with the same problem, the easiest solution was to study in detail any available photos and spend a few weekends constructing a pair. Any large hardware store has all if not most of the necessary parts. Best of all, being an expert craftsman is not required. The final product ended up being much more durable than anything found at shureido or anywhere else.

Either that or get someone who is going to shureido in California or Okinawa(anybody can buy them there) to buy it and bring it to you. No problem traveling with nunchaku in checked baggage.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
When face with the same problem, the easiest solution was to study in detail any available photos and spend a few weekends constructing a pair. Any large hardware store has all if not most of the necessary parts. Best of all, being an expert craftsman is not required. The final product ended up being much more durable than anything found at shureido or anywhere else.

Either that or get someone who is going to shureido in California or Okinawa(anybody can buy them there) to buy it and bring it to you. No problem traveling with nunchaku in checked baggage.

After making a call via Skype, I actually found out Shureido Okinawa did in fact have a pair in stock. I guess they had a hard time understanding what I meant due to the language barrier.

Now I just gotta see if it'll go through US Customs.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got them in the mail yesterday.

Very nice nunchaku. The octagonal shape was cut very sharp and it makes a loud "whoosh" sound whenever I swing them. The beautiful red oak is a nice plus as well.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are nunchaku illegal in California? The ban is state by state, not federal. They're banned in NYS too.

Regardless of that stuff, as I'm sure you found out, Shureido makes great weapons (and everything else too). Their stuff is expensive, but everything I've seen and used made by Shureido was easily worth the asking price. Craftsmanship comes at a cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: