Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: So you think you are rough and tough? Reply with quote

Can you take what you give?

Valid enough question.

Watch Benny Urquidez duke it out with an opponent that is close to his equal, experience and weight, just shows what a Kickboxing champion he really is.

Can you take a punch or a kick or throw, as good as you can give?

I feel it is not enough, to just be able to give as taking is equally important!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons I suggest everyone competes in contact competition at least once. Nothing like being hit with what felt like a sledgehammer and having to get yourself together to carry on.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
This is one of the reasons I suggest everyone competes in contact competition at least once. Nothing like being hit with what felt like a sledgehammer and having to get yourself together to carry on.
"Sledgehammer" very good choice of words DWx, as my opponent blocked a light round house kick aimed at him and he drove a reverse punch in to my solar plexus, that knocked the breath and life out of me; as layed out on my back gasping for air.

Thank goodness it was a light contact tournament!

Yes Maists can hit hard... really hard... very painful...

It was a big wake up call for me; as I threw my mouthpiece cross the gymnasium and focused on not being the nice guy at that particular moment.

I won the bout but I couldn't hit him as hard as he hit me.

He was obviously makawara conditioned and I was point fighting taught up to that moment in time.

Recommend to anyone, to use the sledgehammer approach if at all possible.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! I don't think I'm rough and tough, not at all!! If I did, then I wouldn't be much of a MAist, would I?!?!

I'll just say this...I'm complete in my totality as a MAist.

Seven times down; eight times up!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why many styles like Uechi Ryu do the hard Sanchin body conditioning. Bare knuckle styles like Kyokushin "give and take" as a regular part of their training.

Being hit and being hit hard is something every MAist must experience. The first few times people are hit moderately hard, everything they thought they knew goes out the window. Once they realize they'll survive, it's not that big a deal anymore.

People who train like they'll never get hit and every hit they dish out will be a killing blow are living in a fantasy world. It's just not realistic to think you won't get hit. That doesn't mean you need to train bare knuckle everyday; but you need to be hit harder than your comfort level every now and then. Funny thing about it is if you haven't been hit in a while, you forget how it feels. I know that sounds stupid, but not getting hit every now and then makes us softer.

As Mike Tyson allegedly said "Everyone's got a plan, until they get punched in the face." Truer words haven't been spoken very often.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
This is why many styles like Uechi Ryu do the hard Sanchin body conditioning. Bare knuckle styles like Kyokushin "give and take" as a regular part of their training.

Being hit and being hit hard is something every MAist must experience. The first few times people are hit moderately hard, everything they thought they knew goes out the window. Once they realize they'll survive, it's not that big a deal anymore.

People who train like they'll never get hit and every hit they dish out will be a killing blow are living in a fantasy world. It's just not realistic to think you won't get hit. That doesn't mean you need to train bare knuckle everyday; but you need to be hit harder than your comfort level every now and then. Funny thing about it is if you haven't been hit in a while, you forget how it feels. I know that sounds stupid, but not getting hit every now and then makes us softer.

As Mike Tyson allegedly said "Everyone's got a plan, until they get punched in the face." Truer words haven't been spoken very often.
Spot on, very good explanation JR 137.

I've tried the give and take idea in practice with students, they seem to take it the wrong way, as a battle of egos competition, rather than the proper intent of learning give and take conditioning concepts.

Spiteful people and bullies should appreciate very quickly that pain works both ways; or consequently learn the hard way.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to see people mix it up in sparring from time to time. You see those who like to bang a little, but keep it under wraps, and hope that others will try to up their game a bit, too.

I like to put on the boxing gloves from time to time, just to get in and take some shots to the head and try to fend them off.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fight smarter, not harder. I've taken many hits over the years and while I may getting punched as another day at the office anyone would agree its always more pleasant when you're NOT getting hit.

Nothing "wrong" with body conditioning per say, but I'd much rather work my ability to evade, parry, and counter an attack than just getting hit by it and toughing it out. Even your classic thai has two guys stand in front of one another and just beat the hell out of themselves until one falls.

I always fight the weak link. Use thai against boxers (and virtually every mma'er for that matter), box the thai fighter, wrestle the judoka, judo the wrestler... jiu jitsu everyone ;p

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for a bit rough and tumble, Tuesday nights are the classes where we get to let loose and it's a lot of fun. What I don't like is when someone tells you to take it easy but expects to go hard themselves. For example we have a black belt in the club and she was paired with a young guy who has not been graded yet, not unusual as any senior grade knows to take it easy with youngsters/beginners. But she made a big fuss about not being hit in the face but then proceeded to whack this guy so hard as to make his head spring back, thankfully my instructor stopped her and gave her a proper talking to. The young guy to his credit just got on with things without making a fuss. But as a black belt she should've known better.

Mo.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
I'm all for a bit rough and tumble, Tuesday nights are the classes where we get to let loose and it's a lot of fun. What I don't like is when someone tells you to take it easy but expects to go hard themselves. For example we have a black belt in the club and she was paired with a young guy who has not been graded yet, not unusual as any senior grade knows to take it easy with youngsters/beginners. But she made a big fuss about not being hit in the face but then proceeded to whack this guy so hard as to make his head spring back, thankfully my instructor stopped her and gave her a proper talking to. The young guy to his credit just got on with things without making a fuss. But as a black belt she should've known better.

Mo.

Be careful what you ask for- I get the feeling one day her request will be granted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: