Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When an opponent attacks, they must open up and expose their defense. I will often fake an attack to see how my opponent responds. Then I'll try to draw their attack and counter. I score more on counter attacks than when my opponent is covered up defensively. Develop a "fight plan" and execute what you want to do. I see so many spar without any plan. Thar's a fail.

Also the best way to block a kick or punch is to get out of the way. After awhile you'll develop a sense for timing and reach. It's okay to be nervous, that just means your brain is working.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm up sparring games can be played.

Start off by trying to touch each others knee. Dodge the contact.
Then try to touch the top of your partners head, this is going to invole jumping.
Try dodging any type of contact without backing up (only by stepping and twisting) the body.

Conditioning the body to take a reasonable amount of kicking and punching blows is normal.

Have a partner hit you (not hard) to see how much your body can take. It will give you a chance to learn how to bounce blows off your body also.

Your sparring issues will dissipate over time and with sparring experience your confidence will most certainly grow.

Another type of sparring game can be played to help you from freezing up.

Attempt to attack your partners blind side. Also let your partner attack your blind side. This is a toe to toe strategy.

Now one of you pivots while being attacked on the blind side on the lead foot. This will open up the attackers front. Giving the defender plenty of openings to counter with.

So the idea is to attack the blind side and the defender pivots off the lead foot and counters.
This is a great strategy game.

I noticed in some ma dojos that strategy is not covered or an issue. I greatly disagree. Should be some kind of game plan otherwise it is just exchanging kicks and punches.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparring Block? Reply with quote

vlearns12 wrote:
I have been practicing (Shotokan) karate for quite a while now, and my technique is quite solid (according to my instructor). However, I am just not able to spar. When someone comes in with an attack, I more or less freeze up, and fumble to block (and often cannot). My movements are jerky and tentative at best. I'm wondering if this is a mental block, because I can do the individual techniques, but when it comes to putting them together and sparring someone, I just cannot. Any ideas on how to get over this/how to get better at sparring? Thanks

One is not an good fighter over night as well as one is not a pro athlete over night. It takes time to get comfortable and develop timing.

You can practice reactionary drills to improve your reaction time and to get your body and eyes working at the same time. Most new students freeze up or react by throwing their arms up to an on coming attack. This is normal and the bodies way of dealing with a quick surprise.

If you have a friend that is in class with you, ask them to practice with you away from the dojo with your Sensei's permission.

One - there will be less stress and you may calm down. And because he is a friend you will feel more comfortable as you are both there to help each other.

Two - if you start slow and gradually build up to full pace Kumite you will find your reactionary time will increase and you will also feel more comfortable facing off.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
vlearns12 wrote:
I have been practicing (Shotokan) karate for quite a while now, and my technique is quite solid (according to my instructor). However, I am just not able to spar. When someone comes in with an attack, I more or less freeze up, and fumble to block (and often cannot). My movements are jerky and tentative at best. I'm wondering if this is a mental block, because I can do the individual techniques, but when it comes to putting them together and sparring someone, I just cannot. Any ideas on how to get over this/how to get better at sparring? Thanks

One is not an good fighter over night as well as one is not a pro athlete over night. It takes time to get comfortable and develop timing.

You can practice reactionary drills to improve your reaction time and to get your body and eyes working at the same time. Most new students freeze up or react by throwing their arms up to an on coming attack. This is normal and the bodies way of dealing with a quick surprise.

If you have a friend that is in class with you, ask them to practice with you away from the dojo with your Sensei's permission.

One - there will be less stress and you may calm down. And because he is a friend you will feel more comfortable as you are both there to help each other.

Two - if you start slow and gradually build up to full pace Kumite you will find your reactionary time will increase and you will also feel more comfortable facing off.
Perhaps your mental block is due to being told (many times) that fighting is wrong.

If this assumption is correct, then you will need to change your "chip" thoughts to be more positive.

Than thinking fighting is wrong, tell yourself that self defense is good.

Negative thinking is stinking thinking, however positive things happen to those that think positive thoughts.

Your energy goes where your thoughts go.

Fight psychologist know that a fight can be won or lost before a fight has begun.

This is why fighters associate themselves with fierce animals or dragons. Anything that gives a fighter a physiology edge over the opponent is worth adopting in to the psyche.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My approach to Kumite is quite barbaric, and oftentimes, unsympathetic!!

"Just get out there, and fight!!" ~ Takahashi Sensei

Takahashi Sensei, our Dai-Soke, was barbaric in his approach to Kumite. He despised excuses when it came to any and all Kumite drills from his students. In his mind, to learn how to fight, one must get out there and fight...win or lose...just engage!!

While I'm vaguely sympathetic as to the difficulties that students face when it concerns Kumite and the like, I've my limits as to my tolerance. Want to be able to defend yourself? Then get out there and fight for your life!!

Every time that Greg and I would face each other on the floor for Kumite, we literally tried to kill each other, and those who've witnessed our training, were shocked at the raw barbaric tone that it had, but were amazed at the beauty of it all.

It is said, the only way to defeat fear is to face it head on; taking no prisoners!!

I'm aware that my advice here might not be possible for all students, but sooner or later, you'll have to face that fear one way or another.

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Takahashi Sensei, our Dai-Soke, was barbaric in his approach to Kumite. He despised excuses when it came to any and all Kumite drills from his students. In his mind, to learn how to fight, one must get out there and fight...win or lose...just engage!!

While I'm vaguely sympathetic as to the difficulties that students face when it concerns Kumite and the like, I've my limits as to my tolerance. Want to be able to defend yourself? Then get out there and fight for your life!!

Every time that Greg and I would face each other on the floor for Kumite, we literally tried to kill each other, and those who've witnessed our training, we shocked at the raw barbaric tone that it had, but were amazed at the beauty of it all.

It is said, the only way to defeat fear is to face it head on; taking no prisoners!!

I'm aware that my advice here might not be possible for all students, but sooner or later, you'll have to face that fear one way or another.

The barbaric way (hard styles) are fine when each opponent is fairly matched in size and weight but this is not the way of the other (soft styles) that are for smaller and weaker people, which are more appropriate for most everyone else.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Every time that Greg and I would face each other on the floor for Kumite, we literally tried to kill each other, and those who've witnessed our training, we shocked at the raw barbaric tone that it had, but were amazed at the beauty of it all.

The barbaric way (hard styles) are fine when each opponent is fairly matched in size and weight but this is not the way of the other (soft styles) that are for smaller and weaker people, which are more appropriate for most everyone else.

Imho...

I just don't understand how and when MAists become so engrossed with size and weight and the like. Either you can defend yourself or you can't!! To me, this is a failed attempt to excuse off ones MA shortcomings.

Never underestimate your opponent!! That has to count for something...doesn't it...anymore?!?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho...

I just don't understand how and when MAists become so engrossed with size and weight and the like. Either you can defend yourself or you can't!! To me, this is a failed attempt to excuse off ones MA shortcomings.

Never underestimate your opponent!! That has to count for something...doesn't it...anymore?!?

Overpowering an opponent is what bigger people do and out maneuvering is what smaller people do.

A small person's force against a bigger person's force is not intelligent strategy, due to being that it's just not using common sense.

For a smaller person to duke it out with a much larger person is plain and stupid.

That's why some martial arts styles exists better for smaller and weaker people, that are not based on brute strength alone.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho...

Overpowering an opponent is what bigger people do and out maneuvering is what smaller people do.

A small person's force against a bigger person's force is not intelligent strategy, due to being that it's just not using common sense.

For a smaller person to duke it out with a much larger person is plain and stupid.

That's why some martial arts styles exists better for smaller and weaker people, that are not based on brute strength alone.

I didn't interpret anything he said as standing toe to toe trading blows with anyone nor everyone. He said "...get out there and fight..." If you train to use angles and strike, stand straight up and trade punches, or take your opponent to the ground and choke him out, anything in between or any combination of those, then get on the floor and do it. No holding back, no excuses.

Yes, there's a time to go slow and work technique, develop skill, practice things, etc. Too many people focus on that solely.

People need to train under full or as close to full pressure and resistance as possible every now and then. If you can't handle that pressure in the dojo with people you trust, there's no way you can handle that pressure when you've got someone standing in front of you that you don't trust.

All IMO.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho...

I didn't interpret anything he said as standing toe to toe trading blows with anyone nor everyone. He said "...get out there and fight..." If you train to use angles and strike, stand straight up and trade punches, or take your opponent to the ground and choke him out, anything in between or any combination of those, then get on the floor and do it. No holding back, no excuses.

Yes, there's a time to go slow and work technique, develop skill, practice things, etc. Too many people focus on that solely.

People need to train under full or as close to full pressure and resistance as possible every now and then. If you can't handle that pressure in the dojo with people you trust, there's no way you can handle that pressure when you've got someone standing in front of you that you don't trust.

All IMO.
So what you are saying is, that people should beat each other close to one inch of their life (in the dojo) from time to time, from people we trust?

Brute strategies and tactics prevail once again over the land, spreading words of wisdom for all that seek guidance in matters of personal safety from others.

Yes the weaker will learn to rise up against the stronger foe and become victorious due to the courage that dwells within the hearts of noble soles no matter how the odds of probabilitys are stacked against them.

Have no worry, what doesn't kill you in practice, will certainly make you more angrier than you were in the battle field and more likely finish you off faster than you thought possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: