Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vlearns12
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Sparring Block? Reply with quote

I have been practicing (Shotokan) karate for quite a while now, and my technique is quite solid (according to my instructor). However, I am just not able to spar. When someone comes in with an attack, I more or less freeze up, and fumble to block (and often cannot). My movements are jerky and tentative at best. I'm wondering if this is a mental block, because I can do the individual techniques, but when it comes to putting them together and sparring someone, I just cannot. Any ideas on how to get over this/how to get better at sparring? Thanks

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your dojo does your sensei get you to do sparring drills to get you used to that type of thing.

Many instructors often do not help their students with that prior to getting them in kumite.

Some of my inexperience karateka are the same where they freeze up when it comes to defence. Maybe you are overthinking it?

Getting better at sparring? Easy do more sparring!

vlearns12
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
At your dojo does your sensei get you to do sparring drills to get you used to that type of thing.

Many instructors often do not help their students with that prior to getting them in kumite.

Some of my inexperience karateka are the same where they freeze up when it comes to defence. Maybe you are overthinking it?

Getting better at sparring? Easy do more sparring!

I didn't get to do a whole lot of sparring when I started out, but we do sometimes do sparring drills (which I'm fine with). I think I just have trouble reacting to attacks (and attacking myself), so if anyone has suggestions about that, I'd be very grateful

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At any experience level, and especially at beginner level, it is valuable to do slow motion, noncompetitive sparring. Sounds to me like you feel overwhelmed, so ask your partner to go slow and light until you are more comfortable.

Another point is that you mention blocking but not attacking. You should always, unless specifically trying to build skill at defensive movements, ALWAYS be focused on offense. It's easy when learning a SELF DEFENSE art to think that means a focus on defense, but it just doesn't work that way. In sparring and philosophy, always think of moving forward. A step backwards should only be taken to get a better vantage from which to move forward.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
At any experience level, and especially at beginner level, it is valuable to do slow motion, noncompetitive sparring. Sounds to me like you feel overwhelmed, so ask your partner to go slow and light until you are more comfortable.

Another point is that you mention blocking but not attacking. You should always, unless specifically trying to build skill at defensive movements, ALWAYS be focused on offense. It's easy when learning a SELF DEFENSE art to think that means a focus on defense, but it just doesn't work that way. In sparring and philosophy, always think of moving forward. A step backwards should only be taken to get a better vantage from which to move forward.

Solid post!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are thinking too much, and then trying to react. This will get better with time and practice. Hopefully your instructor will spend time on some sparring drills with you, and this will translate to what you see when you spar. You'll begin to react as opposed to think.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what the others have said so far, in my classes when we do sparring, to start off the first couple of rounds very slow and light, I make a point of saying for these rounds the objective isn't to score points, its to throw out different combinations for your partner to block, so they have to work at a speed where they can both block the techniques coming in, naturally as the round goes on pace will increase.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparring Block? Reply with quote

vlearns12 wrote:
I have been practicing (Shotokan) karate for quite a while now, and my technique is quite solid (according to my instructor). However, I am just not able to spar. When someone comes in with an attack, I more or less freeze up, and fumble to block (and often cannot). My movements are jerky and tentative at best. I'm wondering if this is a mental block, because I can do the individual techniques, but when it comes to putting them together and sparring someone, I just cannot. Any ideas on how to get over this/how to get better at sparring? Thanks

You need to do more Ippon Kumite until where you can apply a technique (block) from reaction.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparring Block? Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
vlearns12 wrote:

You need to do more Ippon Kumite until where you can apply a technique (block) from reaction.

Agree! Ippon or even Sanbomme Kumite. Sanbomme will help the confidence through repetition. Freezing is just fear of being hit, once you've been hit a few times and realise it's not so bad you'll relax a bit more and you'll see your reactions improve when you're relaxed. Also mix it up a bit with who you're sparring with, don't always go with the same person, spar with bigger, smaller, faster or slower people. When we spar in the club it's always just short of full force, very rarely do we do point sparring, just last week I was sparring with the biggest guy in the club and when I say big, I mean like the mountain from GoT he came at me fast and I kind of froze, well, shelled up and took some punches on my guard, but once I regained focus, I was able to push him back. Don't be afraid of being hit, relax and focus and the rest will take care of itself.

Mo.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an idea that works well for me and hopefully in time for you. It is from the Wing Chun system and I cannot imagine why you cannot use it in your Shotokan class. Please practice this because it works. When attacking the opponent's left side they will protect that left side. Which usually opens up the middle so attack the middle and when they protect the middle that usually opens the right side, so attack the right side. While attacking the right side that usually opens up the middle so attack the middle and while they are defending the middle that usually opens up the left side ...

As you may see this advice could go on indefinitely. This advice is not a hidden secret, it is well known to many informed Wing Chun practitioners. Ask your Sensei about how to do it, or seek out someone who can show you how. Or perhaps practice and play with the idea for a while (slowly) till you get the idea working for you. I'm sure this advise with practice will give you a large boost of confidence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: