Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

I had really good sparring session last night (6 x 2min sessions) and I have 3 questions:

1- Is it normal to give your opponent your side while he/she is attacking ? I have found myself doing this couple of times invoulantry?

2- what is your strategy if you feel really exhausted & tired and can't attack your opponent or even block his/her attacks ?

3-What's the best strategy when sparring with a taller opponent ? is it only kicks as my punches didn't even reach his body & I was exposing my head trying to get a good punch ?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
I had really good sparring session last night (6 x 2min sessions) and I have 3 questions:

1- Is it normal to give your opponent your side while he/she is attacking ? I have found myself doing this couple of times invoulantry?

2- what is your strategy if you feel really exhausted & tired and can't attack your opponent or even block his/her attacks ?

3-What's the best strategy when sparring with a taller opponent ? is it only kicks as my punches didn't even reach his body & I was exposing my head trying to get a good punch ?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi Safroot, I trust you are doing well.

1. Totally normal. It's part of the learning curve, it is also part of defensive strategy. You are actually thinking like a sensei when doing this.

2. I see you do Kyokushin. Kyokushin comprises of Shotokan and Goju Ryu. When you become tired, stick to Tai Sabaki and Goju Ryu techniques.

3. Lure your opponent, part of defensive strategy and Goju Ryu again comes into play. Okinawans were way shorter than the Samurai. Once again, Tai Sabaki. Also think of Sandan Gi. A taller opponent in general is all out self defense, quick attack and should never be given to a shorter opponent in kumite or karate instruction. The only way to defeat a taller opponent is to control him, and that often means hurting him for real.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:

1. Totally normal. It's part of the learning curve, it is also part of defensive strategy. You are actually thinking like a sensei when doing this.

2. I see you do Kyokushin. Kyokushin comprises of Shotokan and Goju Ryu. When you become tired, stick to Tai Sabaki and Goju Ryu techniques.

3. Lure your opponent, part of defensive strategy and Goju Ryu again comes into play. Okinawans were way shorter than the Samurai. Once again, Tai Sabaki. Also think of Sandan Gi. A taller opponent in general is all out self defense, quick attack and should never be given to a shorter opponent in kumite or karate instruction. The only way to defeat a taller opponent is to control him, and that often means hurting him for real.

Thanks for the advice Dani_001 . Yesterday was the 3rd sparring session in my Karate journey & the first one in my new dojo so I am pretty sure I have a long way to go.

Regarding Tai Sabaki , how do you practice that ?! sorry I am still a beginner !

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:

Thanks for the advice Dani_001 . Yesterday was the 3rd sparring session in my Karate journey & the first one in my new dojo so I am pretty sure I have a long way to go.

Regarding Tai Sabaki , how do you practice that ?! sorry I am still a beginner !

We are all beginners Safroot. The key to learning is to remain humble. Tai Sabaki is evasion techniques. I'm not sure if YouTube has any videos on Tai Sabaki.

I am orange belt at the moment, we got taught tai sabaki in yellow already but syllabi can vary from style to style. Ask your instructor about tai sabaki.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:
I am orange belt at the moment, we got taught tai sabaki in yellow already but syllabi can vary from style to style. Ask your instructor about tai sabaki.

I am a white belt & I will ask my sensei next sessions & will try to find some youtube videos as well. Thanks again for the advice.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
I am a white belt & I will ask my sensei next sessions & will try to find some youtube videos as well. Thanks again for the advice.

My pleasure, and all of the best on your journey!

By the way, are you a Super Rugby fan? I see Ur from Australia!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:

I am from Australia but not a Rugby fan at all !

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Cool bro, cricket?

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:

Nope, only soccer

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Questions Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
Dani_001 wrote:

Nope, only soccer

Me too, but anyway bro, all the best on your journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: