Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
It is ok that you are scared of it. Everyone is scared of it when we are learning.

What types of kumite do you practice at your school?

During kumite try out different techniques. Kumite takes practice so don't feel bad.

Don't think of kumite as winning and losing. Learn from every bout that you do.

When fighting lower ranked students that is always a good time to practice techniques.

At my dojo we do these types of kumite:
1) Awase Kumite
- Soft and slow sparring
- Contact isn't heavy
- Practice as many techniques as you know
- Helps students get used to sparring and practice techniques with an opponent

2) Point Sparring
- Tournament style
- controlled techniques
- stronger techniques than awase
- certain techniques forbidden
- Thigh kicks
- Groin Kicks
- takedowns/throws allowed as long as controlled

3) 'Light' Sparring
- Same as Point
- All techniques allowed
- contact at 85%
- Groundwork allowed

4) Jyu Kumite (heavy kumite)
- contact @ 95%
- Groundwork permitted
- all techniques allowed
- Similar to Kyokushin karate

Solid post!! That should help FangPwnsAll7 out quite a lot!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sensei8 - it is interesting my sensei is one of the instructors at a gasshaku that is run by Isshinryu Australia. And he was running kumite for several sessions and none of the others have heard of "Awase" Kumite, When the camp finished the other schools took that one back to their schools and made it part of the curriculum

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
@Sensei8 - it is interesting my sensei is one of the instructors at a gasshaku that is run by Isshinryu Australia. And he was running kumite for several sessions and none of the others have heard of "Awase" Kumite, When the camp finished the other schools took that one back to their schools and made it part of the curriculum

MA camps and the like are wonderful ways to learn in every shape, way, and/or form...aren't they just GREAT!!

Borrowed ideas...that's the core of the MA!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

MA camps and the like are wonderful ways to learn in every shape, way, and/or form...aren't they just GREAT!!

Borrowed ideas...that's the core of the MA!!

Exactly!

Learn from everyone is the key to the success of every individual

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sparring Tips Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
When I spar, I tend to back up when the opponent attacks. I realize I do the same techniques so they know what's coming. I'm a red belt, and I sometimes feel bad for getting defeated by lower ranks. I know I shouldn't. Sometimes people tell me my technique is great, but I need to use it in sparring. I try my best in class and I'm great with everything else, but when the instructor says it's time for sparring, I freeze a little inside. Is this normal that I'm afraid of sparring? I don't even think that's the right word, but I want to try different techniques to help me improve my sparring. I have a tournament coming up in May, and I feel I can ask for help here. We're doing point sparring in the tournament, if it matters.

Thank you!

What you are experiencing is what every single person in the world also goes through- getting hit isnt pleasant when you're not used to it. Even a "tough guy" who isnt afraid of getting hit will be once someone that knows how to hit tags him. So you're completely normal.

Now what to do about it....

Realize that in order for your opponent and you to hit each other, you both must be in the pocket. If you can reach out and hit him, more often than not he can do the same to you. This is why keeping your hands up and learing solid defensive skills are great.

When I first started I adopted the following mentality - DO NOT BACK UP.

So when I'd spar, I'd keep my hands up and I'd try to hit just as they'd hit me. Now most people get timid and back up after (or before) an exchange occurs, but this doesnt help your training (learning how to hit in the pocket). When you refuse to back up, you make the situation very very simple. You either block/counter/evade an attack correctly or you dont. If your hands are up and you block, BINGO! Positive reinforcement is your buddy and it'll help those skills grow. If you have a habit of carrying your hands a little low WHAM! You're getting punched in the face...hard. Negative reinforcement now reminds you that you've got to keep your hands up for this reason as you definately did not like the feel of that shot.

As a result, for a thin guy I typically chase and stalk most of the people I train with and getting hit doesnt bother me anymore (aside from that good one that bothers everyone that is....). Its a tough practice, but I feel it was the quickest teacher.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are far to many avenues to transition into....and going backward, by choice, isn't one of them, for obvious reasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: