Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
what technique do you learn to block groin kicks just out of curiosity?

American Kenpo teaches several: downward block, inside downward palm up or down (usually a minor block as you move off the line of attack), leg checks, traps, push down (used more to the knee, not recomended to catch the kick at full extension). Stances should also protect the groin, and foot maneuvers are designed so as to minimize exposure.

Of course, you have to apply them to do any good. I took a pretty hard groin shot last week in sparing. I guess it's good practice in shaking off pain and keeping going, but I don't recomend it!

Hikeon3
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, Savate

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not wear a cup, and yes sometimes that is dangerous in AK, but with our downward blocks and knee checks I can often halt incoming kicks or backknuckle punches.

Sometimes though, a good shot gets in and it hurts, but after it happening a few times you learn to shrug it off and continue with a slight stomach ache
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: