Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: "Starting a dojo" Version 20,059.2 (Zak's question Reply with quote

Im gonna ask some questions and hopefully all my karate forums sempai and kohai are going to answer =)

1. Start up captial.
How much money is it good to start with? just one months rent and utilities? Enough to pay for half a year or so with 0 income?
What does the averadge dojo's electric bill run anyway? (afternoon and evening classes every night)

2. Rank?
Ive been training with 2 different schools for a long time now.
the dojo i hold the highest rank with is an indy that doesnt give certificates. should i buy one from a martial arts store and have the instructor sign it? or just not worry about?
I currently live one hour from both of my main instructors (ones an hour east the other an hour west) One of the reasons my instructor has been asking me to open a dojo.

3. Time
Im currently in school working on my BA in edumacation. Will i have to drop it to part time to run a school?

4. Cardio Karate/tae bo.
At other dojos its the money maker, is it neccassary?

5. Orginization
I hold rank with an indy dojo but train full time with an ISKF (shotokan org) dojo. Is an orginazation a good idea?

6. Insurance
Yes/no?

7. Would you train under a 18 year old shodan, who is an international competitor (on the AAU jr national team at 16)?

forgive spelling/grammer errors im going to bed =)

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this isn't really answering your questions but I had an idea...

People are always complaining about the YMCA's martial arts programs. Try starting out there! If you can run a martial arts program for them (if they don't already have one they're happy with), then you'd probably be getting paid without having to pay rent, pay for insurance, etc.

The problem is: You won't be the boss. The YMCA will. And if you ever want to move out of the Y, you probably can't do so and take your students with you. Maybe you can work something out.

If you don't decide to do this, and you go on your own, you have to think about how much you'll charge. About $100 enrollment is OK, because it will include the gi. (which means you need to have something set up with Century/Ikon/AWMA for gear orders eventually) Then about $50 a month is good. You probably don't want to deal with the money yourself...a billing service would be good. However, I've dealt with APS and PPS and...no offense but they kinda stink. They screw stuff up all the time, double-bill people. For a good one, email mcbethsbilling@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure that's the email.

Since your instructor wants you to open this dojo, s/he should be helping you, referring students, etc.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to school full time, have two kids, and go to my class. You might have to drop some credits. (Depends on how many school calls full time) Dont do that until you are sure you want to start the dojo then talk to the school about working out a schedule. I know a lot of classes in my area have class after 5:00 pm. You could have class three nights a week then gain capital and start a store part onto it. Just a few ideas.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironically i started at a Y =) my instructor just got back from winning the european shotokan championship
I've considered opening a club at a Y, but there are limitations as far as income, contact, and competiton go there.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Start up captial.
Just depends on where you are. A dojo in LA will need more money than a dojo in Montanna. Ask arround in your area and see what rent and stuff is for things like Dance schools and go from there.

2. Rank?
Although its just a piece of paper you would not believe how good it looks on the wall. Give you credit as soon as people walk in. I would talk to both my teachers and check your reccords of each test date and get a certiface for each drawn up.

3. Time
I did not. I got a BA in Edu as well. I taught durring college. I taught at a YMCA on Saturdays. Yeah just one day a week. I had 3 classes. Man was i beat. LOL. I also was a Asst. Teacher at a dojo at college. Again this is just up to you. Depends on everything from class times to numbers. I taught a lot of private lessons so you may want to just start with that.

4. Cardio Karate/tae bo.
Unless you can do it I would not. If you need money I say do it this way. Get a studnet (girl) you trust and make her a co instructor. Dont charge he for classes if she taches that for you.

5. Orginization
I never did certified by the JKA or ISKA or any other Shotokan group. Again it just depends. It looks nice but at the same time it is not a must. I am in WV and really no major group is close to me. However if I could get to one in a few Hours and interact I would do it.

6. Insurance
I use play at your own rish. I have them sign an agreement I had a laywer draw up. When I taught at the YMCA they had insurance but now Im on my own and I do not have it.

7. Would you train under a 18 year old shodan, who is an international competitor (on the AAU jr national team at 16)?
I personally have no problem with it. However a lot of people do. I started taching when I was 20 or so. However I did a lot of one on one and private classes. Plus I spent some years as a Asst. Instructor. However if you are going into EDU you have a leg up on most people. But your youth like mine will cost you older studensts at first.

forgive spelling/grammer errors im going to bed =) I will if you will

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to perhaps try to start a club at your university. You may even start it up as a self defense course for both men and women, then parlay it into a martial class. Or maybe check around with your local community centers like the Y or otherwise. This will eliminate your start up costs and cost of insurance.

Rank can be of some importance, at least here in the US, especially if you are providing a comsumer good. It tends to lead to credibility issues along with your abilities.

Time, well at least if you start up club at the local university, then you can schedule around your classes. Try not to detour your studies too much cause it's not a bad idea to have your degree to fall back on.

The cardio/Tae bo workout, probably not necessary if you start up at an established place, ie. university/comm college, Y, community center.

Organization important for verification purposes should a student want to check out your credentials.

Insurance, most definately especially if you have your own school. In this day and age with a sue happy society.

As far as the age, if you are mature to carry out the task of teaching and passing on your art, then that should not be an issue. Always treat people the way you want to be treated.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For insurance I use play at your own risk also, but with this you have to make sure they sign an agreement or they can sue you. Also you have to make sure the wording is correct and that you have a witness sign it also. Everything should be dated and have signatures.

Start Up capital is hard to come by. I would just find a nice small place to rent and make sure you have a student base signed up before you start that way you know you can pay the bills for the place. Equipment at first may have to be obtained through other places until you gain capital. Also if you want to know many suppliers offer wholesale prices or discounted prices for martial arts schools. You have to prove your a school however I think.

Time is entirely up to you and when you have availible.

Rank should not matter as long as you are a good teacher but in order to get any students you will find that you will have to be at least a black belt. You can always work on your stuff and go to your instructors to get higher ranks every once in awhile. You will find by running your own school and constantly working out you will get better in your own karate or whatever martial art you do.

Originizations are up to you.

The main thing is to make your school fun and still have an element of respect and discipline.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: