Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Stuck in the mud! Reply with quote

So I've been open for about seven weeks now and I'm a little bit stuck in the mud if you will. I ran a promotion and work card before I even open my doors and had a good 10 students or so, since then I have not had any students. I guess what I'm wondering is do you at your studio, have busy and slow times? also what is it that you all do to get students in the door, because I'm not established I feel that word-of-mouth is not as much of an option of course, in my new studio I am not established enough to depend on word-of-mouth, and my old location it is much easier of course. Historically I have seen from training in the area elsewhere, that's the summertime slows down a bit while people go on vacation, I'm hoping he doesn't get too bad since I just opened historically I have seen from training in the area elsewhere, that's the summertime slows down a bit while people go on vacation, I'm hoping he doesn't get too bad since I just opened of course.

I am running a summer special for half off the first months to pull people in, I am also flyer ring I am running a summer special for half off the first months to pull people in, I am also placing flyers all over the area, so far in the last week I have done about 150 flyers, some of those are on cars and some of them are talking to people. Rent is coming due soon and I'm going to need to increase my student base in order to succeed here.

There is a good deal of competition in the area however none direct competition, meaning none teach the same style, most of them are taekwondo places. I am very active on Facebook and do promotional videos often to try to catch up, I even pay for business ads on Facebook, just curious what you guys think, and all input is appreciated, thanks.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck in the mud! Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
So I've been open for about seven weeks now and I'm a little bit stuck in the mud if you will. I ran a promotion and work card before I even open my doors and had a good 10 students or so, since then I have not had any students. I guess what I'm wondering is do you at your studio, have busy and slow times? also what is it that you all do to get students in the door, because I'm not established I feel that word-of-mouth is not as much of an option of course, in my new studio I am not established enough to depend on word-of-mouth, and my old location it is much easier of course. Historically I have seen from training in the area elsewhere, that's the summertime slows down a bit while people go on vacation, I'm hoping he doesn't get too bad since I just opened historically I have seen from training in the area elsewhere, that's the summertime slows down a bit while people go on vacation, I'm hoping he doesn't get too bad since I just opened of course.

I am running a summer special for half off the first months to pull people in, I am also flyer ring I am running a summer special for half off the first months to pull people in, I am also placing flyers all over the area, so far in the last week I have done about 150 flyers, some of those are on cars and some of them are talking to people. Rent is coming due soon and I'm going to need to increase my student base in order to succeed here.

There is a good deal of competition in the area however none direct competition, meaning none teach the same style, most of them are taekwondo places. I am very active on Facebook and do promotional videos often to try to catch up, I even pay for business ads on Facebook, just curious what you guys think, and all input is appreciated, thanks.

Are you marketing more towards kids, adults? What kind of hours does your dojo have?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First up, congrats on even getting the doors open. Believe me, I know that hurdle in and of itself if a giant milestone!

Seven weeks and no new students isn't out of line at this stage. Continue with the social media marketing, even if it doesn't feel like it's paying off right now. It will. Stay active with videos, and the biggest thing is to put out good content on each and every one of these. As Pred alluded to, start to find your voice.

What exactly are you reaching for? The kids market? Adults? Self defense? Artistic expression? You need to answer these questions for yourself and then make sure that the message is being covered in every single piece of marking you put out.

Really, that's the hardest thing to achieve and even after a year we still slip up doing this. You'll occasionally mis-step, like we did when we tried to add a yoga program. Other times, you'll accidentally hit a home run (we also did this with a dedicated competition themed night, not being a competition focused school this surprised me too.)

The big thing is to continually evaluate the success and failures of your marketing campaign.

As a generalization, the summer months will show a slow down in numbers. As will the holidays and end of the year. Spring and Fall will show consistent numbers while the New Year's time frame will be a time of huge new turn out. Try to capitalize on this. Also, look at the new school year as a major recruiting month and we've generally had success with a summer incentive as well for brining new kids in with partners concerned about what to do with them for the next three months.

We do a summer special that is a three month sign up for about a month's rate. Then we try to convert a majority. We do this again in August as a back to school special. And again in January. This becomes a big book keeping task, but it's led to a big growth for us in the last 12 month cycle.

I suggest using a software system to 1) manage all of this, and 2) auto debit for dues. This makes life easier and will let you really dig into the analytics of what is working for you to covert prospects.

If this sounds a lot like business...it is. You have to start to accept it. We were white belts in this aspect of things when we started. Most of us are who start gyms. But you have to get used to the fact that it's not your martial arts that sell contracts. It's your ability to 1) reach people, and 2) get them to sign up once they walk in the door.

Of course, you have to have a solid product (your art) and have skip at it, but that is simply not enough in a crowded market.

It sounds like your off to a solid start. keep at it and keep us posted on how you're doing. If there's anything specific you need that we can help with, let us know.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough it out and things will improve over time.

I agree with what Tallgeese says because you should find a population (kids, adults, BOTH, or if you have specific training special needs) and advertise towards that.

Majority of my clubs advertising comes from our location, but also we go to our local street fair and do demonstrations and also operate with schools and run co-curricular classes for the students. I help with teaching at two schools as co-curricular and it tends to bring more students to us.

*Note: Here in Melbourne our private schools operate sporting programs (Basketball, rugby, BJJ, Tennis, TKD etc) after or before school. 95% of the sports are against other schools, whilst the others don't compete against other schools.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not instructor my self yet this problem is almost a business problem as much as a martial arts problem.

1. If you have any funds advertise. (find your focus group and put it in tv, internet, radio, or newspaper.)
2. Offers: Introductory offers normally pull people in.
3. Discounts: offer discounts to school kids or homeschool kids.

Now I know a few of these sound mcdojo things yet there is a business side of everything. There is more things to do yet I can think of them at this time and it looks like they are covered by others. I wish you luck in.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, going to work backwards because it's just easier for me to read it and respond right away so here goes...

Liger, to your post here:
1. If you have any funds advertise. (find your focus group and put it in tv, internet, radio, or newspaper.)
2. Offers: Introductory offers normally pull people in.
3. Discounts: offer discounts to school kids or homeschool kids.

I have no funds, they were depleted upon opening and I foresaw this but chose to take the risk anyways. As for introductory offers currently I am always 1 weeks free, then I'm also offering a summer special of 50% off to get people in. I advertised something similar before I opened and had 10 students before I even opened. I haven't thought about the special offer for kids but it's something to think about.

Nidan Melbourne, and tallgeese. My target area is self defense, adults and kids just the same but I suppose I'm geared more for kids when I do my videos. I ha e more experience with kids as that's all I ever became successful teaching at the Rec center. Also, on my part of time there are usually 20 kids to 5 adults in the schools around here so in my opinion it's a wise way to go business wise, if I want to make it. I thoroughly enjoy teaching adults, karate yet making self defense what I always come back to. Not all schools do this and I try and find that angle as well.

I believe the art, and my program are solid. Down at the Rec center I maintain about 30 to 40 students with some fluctuation. I stopped really advertising there because I am comfortable with that number, as want more at the new location. My turnover is quite low though. I have a good deal of students that have been with me literally from the first day I opened my program in Jan of 2015. Many others stay months and leave as expected but i always recognize I'm doing something right, and if I didn't see that I wouldn't have taken the risk here with a stand alone location. The issue is not knowing how to get them in the door, my location is hidden from the street a bit although the main intersection is a very descent one with good traffic. I'd love to find software by the way, to help track things but I'm lost in that department. I kept every student I started with into the second month except one that went on vacation, so that number looks good.

I am also nicely priced. A Taekwondo school in the area is charging 140 per month, with deposits. I am $99 per month, no deposits an no contracts. Even the place I most recently trained at was $110 so I think I'm at a good number.

The Pred, I already answered one question which was who I'm trying to market towards, but the hours are tricky. Basically I'm open Monday and Wednesday from 5:00pm to 8:00pm, and Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. We are closed Friday, and I'm there Saturday from 10:00 to 2:00pm for open mat and also tried to get a kickboxing class going, been rough. On Tuesday and Thursday I'm at my recreation location and since I teach alone, I needed a solution. FYI my wife was a huge helper and black belt, she recently birthed our new baby girl so not much now haha, my oldest is 14 and on 2 occasions has ran a full class front to back, I was proud although she became ill in December and doesn't help out any more. Stuck with my 11 yr old who can run a group nicely but at 11 it is what it is. My solution was to have another program there on Tuesday and Thursday so I currently have Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, he takes a cut and I take a cut. So far we just picked up the first student 3 weeks ago, slow moving also. Eventually I would consider losing the rec center but I'd have to see something happen consistently at the dojo first. I would then potentially be able to expand hours.

Sorry for the book guys, hopefully I responded to everybody who took the time to write, I really appreciate it. I'm really backed against the wall trying to maintain confidence and keep things moving in an upward motion.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, could your kids perhaps pass out advertisement at their school?

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Hmm, could your kids perhaps pass out advertisement at their school?

They don't allow it unfortunately. i ha e done it after school though while picking them up, I just passed out a fair amount yesterday for the last day of school, promoting a summer special. Hopefully it pays off!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently run my own school and there are others here like tallgeese who are far more qualified to help you. However best of luck

Luther unleashed wrote:
My target area is self defense, adults and kids just the same but I suppose I'm geared more for kids when I do my videos. I ha e more experience with kids as that's all I ever became successful teaching at the Rec center. Also, on my part of time there are usually 20 kids to 5 adults in the schools around here so in my opinion it's a wise way to go business wise, if I want to make it. I thoroughly enjoy teaching adults, karate yet making self defense what I always come back to. Not all schools do this and I try and find that angle as well.

Though if I can offer my 2 cents on the above, with regards to your target audience, it's good that you've identified self defense as the area you are looking to focus on as hopefully this should make you stand out versus your competitors. That said, self defense for kids and self defense for adults in my mind need to be approached from different angles when it comes to marketing as you're still looking at two different target audiences.

With kids classes, you're still selling to adults, especially with Facebook content as the parents are the people who are seeing the ads and they have to think "hey I should sign little Billy up for this! it would be good for him". IMHO the focus should be on "what life benefits will my kid get from joining your class?". So I would promote the "stranger danger" aspect and general life skills like discipline, confidence and health and fitness, but with a whole lot of fun thrown in. Parents don't care that your teaching their kid to side kick or go through a form, they want a return on their money

Opposite this, if self defense is your goal, then show proper self defense for adults. Adults are more likely to want to see the grittier stuff, real self defense scenarios with real techniques.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll lose kids in retention and up-starts to sporting events that they're into throughout the year...this is the beast of the whole thing.

Now, if you're not able to support the infrastructure of the school, then a decision must be made, and made in a timely manner. Otherwise, debt will grow unsubstantiated. It's a hard pill to swallow because of what's been invested thus far.

Sometimes the plug has to be pulled and allow the patient peace.

But, by all means, if you can save the patient, then fight the good fight and do so. Find a way to breathe new life into it!! You're in between a rock and a hard place, but if your other school is doing well, then duplicate that in the new school as well.

Hang in there, Lex!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: