Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The key for students is to remember that there is no reason to be embarrassed about asking questions. Unfortunately it is much easier said than done and when a student is still unsure about something that has been explained before, there may be some reluctance to admit it or ask for further instructions.

Yep...the adage says...

"There's no such thing as a dumb question."

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The key for students is to remember that there is no reason to be embarrassed about asking questions. Unfortunately it is much easier said than done and when a student is still unsure about something that has been explained before, there may be some reluctance to admit it or ask for further instructions.

Yep...the adage says...

"There's no such thing as a dumb question."

I had a professor in college say "There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people." I still chuckle every time I hear the first part of that one, about 20 years later.

Every student will go through a time where they just "don't get it." Sometimes they don't even realize it; they've been doing something for a while thinking what they were doing is right, but in actuality it's wrong. But that's another thread.

No teacher will ever be able to teach/explain every single technique and concept to every single student every single time. The best teachers will have a variety of ways to convey their lesson. The best teachers will also be confident enough in themselves to either have an assistant or senior student explain it in a different way, or ask a colleague for pointers.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be very difficult to realize and accept that one is not grasping a concept or technique. As difficult to do as that may be, it is the most important step towards further improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: