Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

devil dog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, Kobudo Judo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: style and weapons Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been asked but what style do you study and how many weapons have you learned? Is it a stand alone or is it through you empty hand art as an addition?

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study Nunchaku and Sai; I was taught both from a Shorin Ryu Kobudo Sensei a few years ago; I still practice with them. I train my Pinan Kata with the Sai and I have specific forms that I was taught for both weapons. My father was a knife fighter; he trained with tanto in Malaya in the 50's and 60's. i sometimes use his knife drills.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have studied multiple systems, but most of what I know comes from Shorin Ryu. Through that I have learned:

Bo
Nunchaku
Sai
Kama
Tonfa

Through Schola Saint George I am learning:

Longsword
Daga
Sword and Buckler
Polearm
Rapier
Spear

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study Goju Ryu and was taught a Goju based system developed my Sensei over the years. I've now begun to learn Matayoshi Kobudo , a stand-a-lone Kobudo system, at tied to any Karate style. as a way to increase my knowledge.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system I initially came out of spent most of it's weapons time with the knife, club and gun.

Since then, the last couple of years I've gotten to take a deeper look into the FMA's thru JKD. This has really let me develop a deeper understanding of the stick and knife.

I really love the fact that my job has afforded me the opportunity to get much deeper in firearms work as well. Clearly an additional thing and not part of the schools I come out of.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned Shotokan through the Kwanmuzendokai. They also had a kobudo program through which I learned to use the Bo.

Then I took a one year, very intensive, sogo bujitsu course under John Viol Shihan. In that course I was taught:
Rokushaku Bo
Tonfa
Tanbo

Then, also through John Viol Shihan, I learned Yagu Ryu Kenjitsu, though I never graded for any certifications.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I practiced Shuri-Ryu, kobudo was taught as sort of a sister-system in the curriculum, in a rotating style. Instead of belt ranks, they tested you on each weapon, individually, and gave you a patch for each test you passed to certify that you were ranked with that weapon. Passing all six would earn you the rank of Tasshi in the Shuri-Ryu kobudo system, and the right to wear a black gi.

I passed the test for bo, and I passed everything but one requirement in the test for sai (impractical weapon manipulation--which is the most ridiculous requirement, in my opinion). At the time, I had learned three bo kata and two sai kata:

Shushi no Kon Sho
Shushi no Kon Dai
Donyu no Kon
Nicho Sai
Sancho Sai

I also learned the basics for kama, tonfa, nunchaku, and jo. At one point, I took a jo seminar, and learned 5 jodo kata (they are short) but absolutely hated the material, so I didn't keep up with it. During my time in Shuri-Ryu, I also practiced a branch of Shinkage-Ryu iaijutsu that my teacher learned during his visits to Japan over the years. I learned all four of the tachigata (standing forms) for that system, and one of the kneeling kata, but there are two other three other kneeling kata, and some wakizashi and partner kata that I never got to learn.

When I transitioned to Shorin-Ryu, I got to learn a little more about trapping/locking/sweeping with weapons, which was interesting, but I have been completely focused on my karate. I did learn on kama kata, Nakaima no Kama, and started to learn a nunti kata that comes from a family system, but it's long and complex, so I've forgotten it, now.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have practice bo, arnis, kama, broadsword, and naginata.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Shindokan, we've the typical Okinawan weapons at our disposal. Our Kobudo is in addition to our empty hands. Soke spoke about how "Karate-do is first, before Kobudo, but they're both equals in temperance."

Roninkai
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan (JKA), Aikido, Iaido and FMA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnis, Kali and Escrima, nunchuks as well as the butterfly knife (normal for most Filipinos to play with the butterfly knives) while growing up in the Philippines. Jo and Bo from Aikido. Iaito and the shinken from Iaido.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: