Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shotokannon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, Traditional Jujutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Switching from Shotokan to Kickboxing Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I've been doing Shotokan now for about 10 months, and I'm thinking of switching to Kickboxing, I just wanted to get some general opinions and information about this.

1. If you get a license at a karate club, would you need another one for Kickboxing?

2.I'm very apprehensive about leaving my current club;I like the people and I've been told I'm doing very well (being put forward for the EKF Kyu-grade national championships next year) and I really don't want to let my Sensei down.

3. having said the above, I really do feel like Kickboxing will give me the experience I want with regards to more sparring based than patterns/Kata based work.

4. How would I approach my Sensei about this, if I were to go through with it?

5. Would it be wise to continue both at the same time? this way if I don't like kickboxing I can go back to Karate and if I prefer Kickboxing, I can take that up instead!

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post in the other forum...

Is this Muay Thai-style kickboxing (shin kicks, kicks to the leg, clinch) or American/Dutch style kickboxing? (Basically karate kicks with boxing punches)?

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Switching from Shotokan to Kickboxing Reply with quote

Shotokannon wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I've been doing Shotokan now for about 10 months, and I'm thinking of switching to Kickboxing, I just wanted to get some general opinions and information about this.

1. If you get a license at a karate club, would you need another one for Kickboxing?

2.I'm very apprehensive about leaving my current club;I like the people and I've been told I'm doing very well (being put forward for the EKF Kyu-grade national championships next year) and I really don't want to let my Sensei down.

3. having said the above, I really do feel like Kickboxing will give me the experience I want with regards to more sparring based than patterns/Kata based work.

4. How would I approach my Sensei about this, if I were to go through with it?

5. Would it be wise to continue both at the same time? this way if I don't like kickboxing I can go back to Karate and if I prefer Kickboxing, I can take that up instead!

as someone who switched to kickboxing from shotokan, I may be able to help.

What do you mean by license? is it an insurance thing? most kickboxing gyms will have that covered.

You don't need to leave it immediately, you could do both at the same time. You may find that the reflexes conflict with one another, leading to a hampering in your progress of both, but I know people who have no trouble combining them. In any case you could eventually choose to drop one and pursue the other.

Your sensei would understand, if you feel that kickboxing is the better path for you then they should allow you to take it.

As RW mentioned there are a few different kickboxing rulesets, to which the conventions are tailored. American kickboxing will probably be the closest to shotokan, as it doesn't have leg kciks or clinching, Japanese kickboxing (K1-like rules) will have leg kicks and some clinchwork and knees, for which the training is appropriately modified. If you're going for full Muay Thai there will be elbows and throws as well.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com.

As there are now two threads for this conversation, I am going to close this one and direct further replies to the other one: http://www.karateforums.com/going-from-shotokan-to-kickboxing-vt48259.html

This will make it easier for everyone to follow the discussion.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: