Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
OR...

The IOC admits MMA/UFC/ETC into the Olympics, but for the fear of the blood, they don't televise any of the events, or very, very, very little and watered down. I mean, the Olympics is THEIR backyard!!

The Olympic broadcasting service films and broadcasts everything. In the UK we generally have access to all sports and all matches. It's up to individual countries and networks to choose what they want to show and then put their own overlays and commentary on top. Do you think the blood and other injuries be something the American network would show? (can't remember which one of yours has the rights)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
OR...

The IOC admits MMA/UFC/ETC into the Olympics, but for the fear of the blood, they don't televise any of the events, or very, very, very little and watered down. I mean, the Olympics is THEIR backyard!!

The Olympic broadcasting service films and broadcasts everything. In the UK we generally have access to all sports and all matches. It's up to individual countries and networks to choose what they want to show and then put their own overlays and commentary on top. Do you think the blood and other injuries be something the American network would show? (can't remember which one of yours has the rights)

Yes I do think that the USA network would show it, and at prime-time!! TKD was barely shown in the USA at the summer games. Doesn't the IOC have any say as to what is to be shown and how often? Or, the more popular the sport, the more it gets played?

If the Olympics were to include MMA/UFC type events, I wouldn't watch it because it's shown on the USA networks quite a lot.

**Real quick>When I say USA network, I'm speaking about ANY network found on any guide in America. NOT the network named USA Network.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBC and its affliates has the rights to the Olympics as far as I know right now. I think they would show it. I believe NBC last ran the StrikeForce fights.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Yes I do think that the USA network would show it, and at prime-time!! TKD was barely shown in the USA at the summer games. Doesn't the IOC have any say as to what is to be shown and how often? Or, the more popular the sport, the more it gets played?

If the Olympics were to include MMA/UFC type events, I wouldn't watch it because it's shown on the USA networks quite a lot.

**Real quick>When I say USA network, I'm speaking about ANY network found on any guide in America. NOT the network named USA Network.

It's up to the individual network or country to cherry pick from the footage filmed by the Olympic Broadcasting Service as to what they want to show. OBS film the lot and has nothing to do with the IOC . I'd imagine a lot of it's down to what the networks think will pick up views and that's dictated by what's popular their country. For example TKD isn't as popular as athletics so if they're on at the same time and NBC has to pick one its most likely going to be athletics they show on their main channel.

Not to derail the topic, but I always think that those networks who have commercial breaks have a hell of a scheduling nightmare making sure the ads are timed exactly right so as not to miss any of the action. From what I remember of 2012 I think a lot of people missed whole chunks of the opening and closing ceremonies because networks have to get the commercial breaks in somewhere.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
NBC and its affliates has the rights to the Olympics as far as I know right now. I think they would show it. I believe NBC last ran the StrikeForce fights.

That's cool. At least you get to watch that. Aside from Olympic Judo and TKD and a bit of boxing, most combat sports for us are on the paid networks like Sky and Eurosports.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

That's cool. At least you get to watch that. Aside from Olympic Judo and TKD and a bit of boxing, most combat sports for us are on the paid networks like Sky and Eurosports.
I remember getting to see some of the Judo last time, but didn't get to see the TKD. I'm not sure if it was on TV or not. But, NBC did a bunch of streaming stuff on the internet, too.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guird wrote:
the changes seem minor, but if it starts to look too much like UFC I think it'd be a pity. Some people just prefer taekwondo, despite the more restrictive ruleset. if people want to do MMA they should do MMA, and taekwondo should remain.

I totally agree. Like other sports, if they want to increase viewership, perhaps look at the structure of point scoring and perhaps the rounds. But stay true to the sport.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimoto wrote:
guird wrote:
the changes seem minor, but if it starts to look too much like UFC I think it'd be a pity. Some people just prefer taekwondo, despite the more restrictive ruleset. if people want to do MMA they should do MMA, and taekwondo should remain.

I totally agree. Like other sports, if they want to increase viewership, perhaps look at the structure of point scoring and perhaps the rounds. But stay true to the sport.
I think just getting rid of the padding would make the event more exciting, and much less of a point game. It would also change the strategies just a bit, but not so much that it wouldn't be WTF TKD anymore. More contact related strategy would ensue, making it much more fun to watch, I think.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Archimoto wrote:
guird wrote:

I think just getting rid of the padding would make the event more exciting, and much less of a point game. It would also change the strategies just a bit, but not so much that it wouldn't be WTF TKD anymore. More contact related strategy would ensue, making it much more fun to watch, I think.

I like that idea too!!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Archimoto wrote:
guird wrote:

It certainly would change things up a bit I think. But I don't think more contact will automatically make it more fun to watch. Interestingly enough, over the past few years there have been some rule changes in ITF sparring to make it more "technical" and exciting to watch. Each competitor must now throw a compulsory technique or be deducted 2 points each round. The compulsory is something with at least a 360 aerial spin or a 180 switch back kick. Punches are also limited to no more than 2 in succession.

Whether it's more watchable is personal choice but we are starting to see more and more matches like this: http://youtu.be/pINXpo2k0dg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: