Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Taking a Closer Look at the Hand Techniques of Taekwon-Do Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Taekwon-do, the way of the foot and hand, is a martial art often characterized by its high, spinning, jumping and flying kicks. Attacking and defending with the legs promotes flexibility, coordination, balance and so on and a well executed kick can be infinitely more destructive than a blow with the fist. The legs naturally also have a far greater reach than the arms and taekwon-do methodology dictates that the practitioner keeps the aggressor as far away as possible.

However, kicks aren't the only techniques to be found in this Korean art. Kicking can be risky as the kicker can lose balance, and what happens when the aggressor comes inside kicking range?

Depending on the style of taekwon-do taught, hand techniques can account for more than half of all techniques learnt. In fact in the style of taekwon-do I practice, nothing more complicated than a front kick appears in the curriculum until mid-color belt level and even then the kicks taught are fairly basic until 1st Gup. On the other hand, a wide variety of attack and defense hand techniques are taught. This article will take a closer look at some of the hand techniques found within the style.

In general, taekwon-do hand techniques can be classed as one of several types.

Attacks
  • Punches (jirugi)
  • Strikes (taerigi)
  • Thrusts (tulgi)
  • Crosscuts (ghutgi)
Defense Techniques
  • Blocks (makgi)
  • Checking (momchugi)
  • Covering (karioogi)
  • Holding (bachigi)
  • Other
Attacking Techniques

Broadly, attacking techniques can be sub-divided into punches, thrusts, strikes and crosscuts.

Punches are the most basic of hand attacks taught. As in most styles, the majority of punching techniques connect with the target using the forefist. However, in taekwon-do, we also class a number of techniques which use the index and middle finger knuckles, or other variations including the open fist (pyon joomuk) or long fist (ghin joomuk) as punches. Essentially punches are any attacking technique where the line of power travels up the forearm in a straight line. Typically, though, nearly all punches rely on a twist or corkscrew effect whereby the punching arm will revolve through 180 degrees over the course of the punching action, and the opposite hand will be withdrawn to the hip.

The first and most recognizable punch is the straight front punch using the horizontal fist. Similar in a lot of ways to the karate straight punch, it can delivered from many stances with both the leading arm and reverse arm. Related to this are the side and side front punches, which essentially differ by body positioning.

Other notable variants include the vertical fist (sewo jirugi) punches which tend to be those you'd use in closer quarters, and are typically aimed at the gut or jaw, and the crescent (bandal), angle (giokja) and turning (dollyo) punches, which could all be considered variants on the haymaker. Finally, the upward punch (ollyo jirugi) is very like an uppercut aimed to the chin or upward into the face at close range.

Strikes are smashing techniques that employ the use of the knifehand (sonkal), reverse knifehand or ridgehand (sonkal dung), backfist (dung joomuk), elbow (palkup) and backhand (sondung), among other tools. There are many variations of strikes, far too many to describe here, however next to punches they are the second most commonly used hand attacks.

Thrusts, in comparison to punches or strikes, are directed to softer target areas such as the eyes, neck or solar plexus and are intended to almost stab or travel into the target in a linear motion. Thrusts are only performed with either the fingers or the point of the elbow.

Crosscuts are somewhat unusual and are comparable to a slashing technique using the fingertips. Travelling either inward or outward, they slash across the target's eyes.

Defense Techniques

Although the leg can be used to check or block movement, generally the most preferable option would be evasive action. If this is not possible then it is often better to block or check movement with the arms as this usually is a more reliable method of preventing an attack getting through whilst also presenting options for the defender to grab or throw the opponent.

Blocks would be the most prevalent type of hand defense and can be further subdivided into different types.

Impact blocks can really be considered a striking type of technique as the goal is to make hard contact in order to stop an attack from reaching you. As such, these blocks can also potentially cause damage to your opponent in the process. The difference between attacking strikes and a blocking "strike" being that whereas attacking strikes are aimed to an opponent's weak spots or vital areas, impact blocks strike against the opponent's attacking tool. So if your opponent punches towards you, an impact block will smash the arm to intercept the movement and will redirect the attack and be likely to cause some damage in the process. Impact blocks are primarily delivered with the forearms (palmok), knifehand (sonkal) and reverse knifehand (sonkal dung).

Non-impact blocks are those that are softer and are intended to redirect and parry an attack in order to unbalance an opponent. In addition, they can be a preparation to grab. Unlike impact blocks, these blocks are those that maintain contact throughout the blocking motion (impact blocks strike and transfer motion much like a Newton's Cradle). Non-impact blocks primarily utilize the palms (sonbadak), arc hand (bandalson) and x-fist (kyocha joomuk) and x-knifehand (kyocha sonkal) tools.

Aside from blocking there are also a number of methods within the system in order to check an attack (momchugi), positions to cover up (karioogi) and methods of grabbing or holding the attacker (bachigi).

Although this has been a very brief introduction to the many hand techniques found within taekwon-do, I hope it has provided a little more insight into the style beyond the kicking techniques for which it is known.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission, Danielle.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, Danielle!!

Being part of a MA that utilizes 85% of its techniques with the hands, I found that this article spoke to my heart. This article delves just enough to educate as well as peak the curiosity of the many TKD hand techniques.

Excellently thought out and presented for the reader to not be so overwhelmed with all of the strict technicalities of each hand technique described therein.

While TKD introduces its hand techniques in a stretched out and patiently mannerism to their student body, there's the perfect balances of the who, what, where, when, why, and how that provides a non-rushed methodology that allows absorption of said hand techniques as to not muddle the exacting details so that their student body CAN see the forest, despite the trees.

Thank you for it, Danielle!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea Kwon Do stylists may train in a multi technique system. They may use their fists and arms just as much as their legs in their practice, but in their sparring, especially in competition, a punch is never thrown. One reason I have heard from a Tea Kwon Do stylist is that the kicks score higher and that they score even more the more complex they are. Fair enough, so the sparring is a sport and it has nothing to do with practical combat. This can be said of other styles too, like BJJ for example. I asked a local BJJ player if he thought that voluntarily going to ground was a good system of self defense. He said that their style's self defense system was totally separate from the teaching of the BJJ art. Is this true of the Tea Kwon Do style too? I'm a traditional martial artist, and I feel that if the style is not for self defense, then it is not a martial art at all.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Tea Kwon Do stylists may train in a multi technique system. They may use their fists and arms just as much as their legs in their practice, but in their sparring, especially in competition, a punch is never thrown. One reason I have heard from a Tea Kwon Do stylist is that the kicks score higher and that they score even more the more complex they are. Fair enough, so the sparring is a sport and it has nothing to do with practical combat. This can be said of other styles too, like BJJ for example. I asked a local BJJ player if he thought that voluntarily going to ground was a good system of self defense. He said that their style's self defense system was totally separate from the teaching of the BJJ art. Is this true of the Tea Kwon Do style too? I'm a traditional martial artist, and I feel that if the style is not for self defense, then it is not a martial art at all.

I think it's more a matter of RANGE.
I have practiced a variety of arts and I can CONFIDENTLY say that TKD kicks are second to none. They are deceptive with many of the kicks starting off with similar body mechanics so they are not detectable until the last millisecond. And if executed properly can carry a devastating amount of power. Given all of that, if you are a high level TKD practitioner then why in the world would you go in punching range if you don't have to? I think many who watch TKD sparring really don't understand it, I believe the same applies to BJJ.

Thank you Danielle for the article. I think it's helpful for TKD and non TKD practitioners. Very educational thank you!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend, you hit the nail on the head. It is to do with range, long range for TKD and short range for BJJ. That's fine if you practice within those ranges, quite comfortable in fact, but combat is not like that; it is chaos, you cannot assume anything or specialize too acutely into any form or rule. As Bruce Lee said you must be formless like water.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback thus far

Harkon72 wrote:

I think you have to be careful with the generalisations. Taekwondo is as broad as Karate with many variations and sub-styles. You are right in that the Taekwondo most people encounter is what is in the Olympics but this is a very narrow definition of the style and is something that has been created as a sport. Unless you specifically train at a sports school, WTF and ITF and other styles alike practice more than this type of sparring. It's like saying ippon kumite is the only thing every single Karate school, from Shotokan to Wado Ryu to Kyokushin, practice.

Even in sport sparring you get a lot of hands. Over half of the knockouts in this highlights real of ITF (sport) sparring are due to punches:
http://youtu.be/Ab3PWC4T7G0

However a lot of schools also practice this type of sparring too:
http://youtu.be/1iNpsGzVlGQ

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see that within the style this kind of fighting is very effective. But this is true of almost all karate and kickboxing based styles regardless of their origin. My Aikido Sensei commented that I have a black belt in attacking and defending in a certain way, "I know karate Gareth, I know what you are going to do. Aikido has no style, no stances or forms, you have no idea how I'm going to react." This has been a very difficult wake up call for me.

This is what I have practiced for more than 25 years;
http://youtu.be/I-7NZhH4fCw

Now I must get used to this;
http://youtu.be/J_K6LOFBBCc

I admire martial artists of all backgrounds, I can see and recognize skill and dedication. Making a move from one mind set to another is tough, I may be over critical and I'm sorry. Thank you for your article Danielle, in truth I find it fascinating.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
My friend, you hit the nail on the head. It is to do with range, long range for TKD and short range for BJJ. That's fine if you practice within those ranges, quite comfortable in fact, but combat is not like that; it is chaos, you cannot assume anything or specialize too acutely into any form or rule. As Bruce Lee said you must be formless like water.

That's an interesting point. Indeed there is a difference between philosophy and style. As a student of JKD I am studying TKD as one of the many paths on my journey as a martial artist. In this regard I've studied in varying degrees - in addition to Muay Thai, BJJ, and Jun Fan which formed my base for many years - French Savate, Philipino Kali and Silat, Capoeira, and most recently TKD. Philosophically I believe, as you suggest, that one must be ready for anything and everything.
I simply took issue with what I understood and believed to be your mischaracterization of TKD as something less than a martial art. Having studied a variety of arts I think incorporating TKD into my curriculum makes me stronger. At the same time, my TKD instructor is showing aspects of TKD that I never knew exist. I could see someone studying TKD for a lifetime, and nothing else, and become a well rounded and formidable martial artist in any range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: