Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: taking weapons into Canada? Reply with quote

My son is competing in a tournament in Pittsburgh, PA in a few weeks. From there we are heading to Niagara Falls for a short vacation so we'll have his gear and weapons with us.
Do any of you have any experience with taking weapons across the border from the US? It will be 2 creative bo and 1 hardwood traditional bo. I've searched some and haven't seen anything definitive yet.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd call the Canada authorities about these concerns before I'd cross the border!! If need be, I'd not even try even go into Canada with them; I'd find somewhere/someone I could leave them with that I could trust. Then, when I returned back into the USA, I'd then pick them up.

Yes, they're just Bo's, and not Nunchaku's or some other much more alarming to said authorities, but why take a chance?!

https://www.canada.ca/en/contact/contact-1-800-o-canada.html

The above link might be of some help. They'll require you to leave your email address so that they can send you additional information with phone numbers/links. From that, you should be able to accurately find out the answer to your question.

Good luck!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get them through on a form that declares that the goods will leave with you. Hunters do this with rifles all the time. They, of course, cannot be a prohibited person by Canadian law.

This link is the US equivalent.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/nafta/guide-customs-procedures/effect-nafta/en-temp-admissions

There are a couple forms for goods entering a country. Goods entering and staying.
Goods transiting.
Goods entering, used, and leaving.
Goods for sale.

The sticky part might be the ability to identify the exact items (i.e. serial number).

Call Canadian Customs. Say this to them. I am planning to take sporting goods for transit (identify the goods). The items will leave with me upon returning to the US. They will not be sold nor transferred.

While Nunchuku are on the prohibited list as far as weapons go, there might be a slim chance for getting bo through under transit law.

Your best (least costly) and most convenient option will be to house them on this side before you cross. I would not try to lie at the border and say they are walking sticks.

Canadians are almost British when it comes to "weaponry".

Maybe someday I will tell my story about my invasion of Canada with enough arms to give the PM a brain aneurysm. Yes, it is true.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to the Authorities in Canada and see if they have a Prohibited Weapons List online

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: