Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Tang Soo Do - I need to improve in sparring. Reply with quote

I have a belt test soon and part of that grading is sparring. I would hate to say this, but I am not good at sparring of any kind; point, free sparring. I only just recently purchased sparring gear because I never really have been interested in sparring

At one time I was good at sparring. When I was white belt 1 year ago, I got told by my instructor that I'M was better than half of the green belts at sparring. Now, I am testing for green belt and my sparring is really bad. I get told by higher ranks that I can't spar

Are there any tips you could give me to improve my sparring technique?

How I Spar
I mostly just do round kicks, back kicks, 360° jump round kick. I also do side kicks and a jump snap kick. I rarely punch. When I do, it is usually a backfist or just a regular punch.

Thanks![/b]

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tang Soo Do - I need to improve in sparring. Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
Now, I am testing for green belt and my sparring is really bad. I get told by higher ranks that I can't spar

Are there any tips you could give me to improve my sparring technique?

How I Spar

I mostly just do round kicks, back kicks, 360° jump round kick. I also do side kicks and a jump snap kick. I rarely punch. When I do, it is usually a backfist or just a regular punch.

Thanks!

Hope higher ranks aren't just saying that you can't spar...do you get any tips or constructive critique?

Without seeing you in action I would have no idea what you need to work on. You should be getting advice from Black Belts or even higher ranking students in your classes.

Maybe you could ask your instructor for some guidance.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think IT can post a video until later because I only have a phone now. I'll try getting my kicks on video though

I was just getting taunted by a few of the red belts about sparring. They don't try to help either.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you're spinning a lot. Maybe because you have some apprehension or fear of going straight in? I often tell my new-ish students to stand their ground. If you find yourself backing up a lot or getting pushed back - don't. Unless you're fighting full-contact or are at a higher rank you shouldn't have to worry about being hit too hard. So, don't back up and see what happens when you throw straight attacks like front kicks and front punches. If your opponent gets close cover up and piston those punches to your opponents ribs.

Don't spin, don't throw wide round kicks, etc. You are the freight train and your track runs through your opponent. (Oh yeah, I'm Shotokan by the way )

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I realize I do the same three kicks in a row and they all involve spinning. I found yout advice really useful.

Tkd&bjj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, bjj, kempo, jkd concepts, escrima

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me one of the most important things to focus on is footwork. How to advance, retreat, and move side to side correctly. Staying light on your feet. Throw combos not single techniques, and keep your guard up. Without seeing you spar, I cannot offer much advice. Like anything you need practice, and hard work to improve.

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".
-Dan Inosanto

T3chnopsycho
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kimura Shukokai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others said.

Try to keep yourself mobile (so you can get out of the way or engage fast) but still keep steady (not that you lose your balance).

Try find the right moment to attack and then give it all you've got.

One general rule in fights. Don't just go with one technique and think it will suffice. Try to do combos like maybe a front-kick as a gap closer then one or two punches then when he backs off a spin kick or something (just an idea but the principle should always be more or less that way)

Maybe you could ask your instructor after a sparring lesson what you could do better. Or if he could give you some tips for improvement.

Another thing. Round-kicks are good to bring in combos (surprise) but not that good to initiate an attack because they just take longer till they hit the target and during that time you are open for counterattacks. So I'd recommend that you start with something more basic and then during an attack charge bring a round-kick or so

Cheers and good luck

T3chnopsycho

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
I was just getting taunted by a few of the red belts about sparring. They don't try to help either.

I take it that red is the level below black belt?

I hope you aren't getting taunted, and if so that the instructors do see that...IF that happens in our club the people involved don't stay around for long.

Guess I don't like any school that has condones a negative environment and I would not want to be a part of one.

Getting back on topic, I'll suggest that you seek out at least one BB to help you out with your sparring. Are you finding that you execute techniques but they are always being blocked? It may be that you are either being too predictable in your sparring...work on mixing things up a bit.

One other thing to keep in mind is that punches are generally quicker than kicks, so don't be reluctant to incorporate them into your sparring.

Hope all this helps.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move in, move at angles, never move backward unless it's part of an explosive forward movement.

I see the comment about 'mostly kicking' and I think of edge range snipers who aren't committing to the job at hand. Don't snipe. Get in close and start dismantling.

Oh, and remove those jump kicks. They're specialty for specific situations that you are almost certainly not encountering.

Unfortunately we're limited to general advice because we have not any idea what is happening. What does it look like when you are doing well? Do more of that. What does it look like when you're not doing well?

Own your space. It might be art specific, but I always have to break new people of the habit of thinking that stepping back is a valid defense or a valid anything. This is important because our "sparring" circle is maybe 10-12' diameter, and we care about ring-out. You just don't have room to give away 3' every time you finish a kick or see the other guy move.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. The red belt is tehe last GUP belt. Then it's a blue belt (pretest) , then black. I do not think we are sparring though since it is so close to the belt test. I will keep these things in mind at the grading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: