Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mountaineer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the difference between Tang-Soo-Do/Moo-Duk-Kwan and Tae-Kwon-Do. From what I have read Tang-Soo-Do is the more traditional art with less emphasis on competition and more on fighting. Also does Tang-Soo-Do stress the spiritual side of martial arts?

Thanks for the help!

[ This Message was edited by: mountaineer on 2002-03-25 07:32 ]

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya.

Yes, you're right. I studied TSDMDK, and my old dojang was very traditional. Allthough, they did have and attended competitions and tournies, they didn't stress the "sport" side of MA. And yes, we did (for the most part) stress the spiritual side of MA (meditation, disipline, ki, ect).

Tae Kwon Do is TSD's little brother. There are traditional TKD schools, but 8 outta 10 TKD schools put emphasis on the "sport" end of MA.

I do TKD now (in a "sport" TKD school), but I still find myself consentrating on technique, disipline, meditation, ect. But I spar alot more now lol.

tsdshep
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tangsoodo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky anuf too study under grand msater clingan in tangsoodo. One of the first things he hade me do was go too other schools in my area and watch theam two see the difrence in our art and theres.I found that in the tkd schools in our area we nothing like tsd. thay use littile or no hands no self defince no ground woork and thear kicked were very looping. You could see theam coming and chabering once they got the kick off it was fast but it was so teligraphed you could stop it befor it got off. I have ben online and looked at many other tkd schools wourld wide and have yet too see one that resembeld tsd at leat the tsd i am taught. There for i dont belive tkd is tsd little brouth, But thean agen you can definetly see tsd influence in tkd.BUt wile it looks the same the tecnique is so very difrent. Dont get me rong i am not insulting tkd in any way i belave I have just seen bad schools and instructors.Hope this helped and sory for the bad grammer

Kicks
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU,AAU), Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karatekid1974:
Quote:
Yes, you're right. I studied TSDMDK, and my old dojang was very traditional. Allthough, they did have and attended competitions and tournies, they didn't stress the "sport" side of MA.

So, I'm curious, how did the TSD practioners do when competing against sport oriented TKD (not traditional TKD) competitors? Did it make a difference? Who had the advantage in a sport competition setting?

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicks wrote:
So, I'm curious, how did the TSD practioners do when competing against sport oriented TKD (not traditional TKD) competitors? Did it make a difference? Who had the advantage in a sport competition setting?

Hey Kicks,

Actually we did good. Our events were point sparring, and most of the TKD guys weren't used to it (except the ITF folks), so we would win a lot (the TSD folks). Now that I do TKD, I had to get used to the rules for TKD. So I see why most of the TKD guys were confused about the rules. I still get both set of rules mixed up

EternalRage
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Brazilian Soo Bahk Jitsu!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicks wrote:
karatekid1974:
Quote:
Yes, you're right. I studied TSDMDK, and my old dojang was very traditional. Allthough, they did have and attended competitions and tournies, they didn't stress the "sport" side of MA.

TSD point sparring is similar to ITF point sparring except that you can't sweep in ITF. WTF people are at a complete disadvantage if they spar TSD point sparring because TSD guys will punch to head. Also depending on what rules/organization/schools, some TSD fighters do some clinching and takedown, which is not in ITF or WTF.

EternalRage
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Brazilian Soo Bahk Jitsu!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountaineer, if you haven't already, go see the Korean Martial Arts section, TSD vs TKD has been posted alot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: