Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jaacvb
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Tani karate-gi uniform Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

in the 80s in South Africa, I used to practice Shukokai in Johannesburg, most senior students, brown belts and black belts wore Tani karate-gi, a uniform that had a thin black rim along the top edge, from the waist line, around the neck and back to the waist line.

So this karate gi brand is more than 30 years old. I have been looking all over the internet for suppliers, but I can't find this brand anywhere anymore!

What I am asking is if anyone can help me find where this Gi is still produced and can be purchased.

Cheers.

Joao Bernardino

stoneheart
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just speculating, but it's possible "Tani" comes from Chojiro Tani, the deceased Shito-ryu teacher. He passed away in 1998 according to a search on the internet.

If this was his house brand, it's probably long out of business.

For a substitute, you might look at some Moo Duk Kwan uniforms to see if you find them acceptable. They have black piping around the lapels, but also around the skirt and the sleeve ends too.

Alternately, you could buy a quality uniform of the brand you prefer and then have a seamstress add the black trim post-purchase.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, jaacvb; glad that you're here!!

I, as well, haven't heard of this gi brand my entire MA career, which spans over 52 years. However, what stoneheart suggests is quite possible. I'm sorry that I can't offer you any concrete leads in your search.

Hope you find it or at least have a closure, if that brand's no longer being manufactured anywhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: