Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortdog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who here actually teaches a class of martial arts. what do you teach, how did you start? i wanna know about teaching a class. if you want email me at shortdog@gtemail.net

SHORTDOG

or email

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortdog-san,

Check out my web site and then send me an email (mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org) and we can chat. Email or here is fine with me.

Cheers!!

John

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, lets answer these questions: "what do you teach, how did you start?" by making replies on this thread instead of e-mails. That way, we can can benefit from the discussion on this thread.

Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortdog-san,

As requested by Patrick, I have included information that I posted in my introduction to this web forum.

"I have involved in the study of Martial Arts for over 25 years. I have been teaching both Classical Karate (with an emphasis on Okinawan techniques) and Yang Style Tai Chi Ch'uan since 1983. I am the Headmaster (i.e. - Chief Instructor, Shihan, or Dean) of Heiwa-Ryu Martial Arts Academy. I will state that I am 5th Degree Black Belt (Godan) in my style, but I am the highest rank since our Founder died. While that may sound impressive to some, I would ask that everyone take into consideration that I am a nobody from an unknown style in a small city in a big world of Martial Arts. I come before you 'virtually' with only my experience to speak for itself and the system that I represent. I have been exposed to over 9 years of combative experience both in and out of the US Armed Forces; having serving over 16 years in the US Army Infantry. I view those years of actual street fighting as an acid test to my way of thinking and teaching."

I would still encourage you to visit my web site (URL provided below) to get a greater understanding of both Heiwa-Ryu and myself. It may provide a better perspective when reading my posts.

Cheers!!

John

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of teaching? I am young and I need a part time job. I am a really good teacher but they don't know that, they jude me by my age. I am only 17 years old. So, do you think I could get anybody for privite lessons, do you think they would judge me on my age, not on my teaching skills.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I often have the same problem. I am only 16, and sometimes it is difficult to get the trust from the parents.

I have combated this by doing an adults Instructing qualification (I passed with a distinction).

You probably wont have the oppotunity to do this qualification, ask your instructor.

But I say - Go for it!! Try out private lessons. They could work (but make sure you get permission off your instructor)

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

karateronin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shortdog,

my name is Steve Leak and I am the chief instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK).

I am also the Northern Area Instructor for Gradings and Training for the British National Martial Arts Associations.

If you would like I will email you a copy of our coaching and instructing training manual and exam sheet.

This goes for anyone else who would like a copy

Steve Leak

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the problem that lower grades which are adults dont enjoy taking advice from a younger person. In normal life, the adult is always the superior, but in the dojo it's different, and some people dont like adapting to that. As such, adults rarely accept tips from me in the same way that they'll accept them from another adult.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karateronin, sure why not?

jack@kyrae.co.uk

ta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

unDertow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to learn to teach adults is to teach children. I have taught classes for both children and adults. I've even worked with people that have Down's Syndrom. If you can find a way to simplify information so that children to understand it you will easily be able to teach anyone else. And the easiest way to get adults to take you seriously is to give them a reason to. You've gotta show them you're good enough and have enough skills to be a good instructor. I'm 17 and there is no one in our dojo that has any problem with me occasionally filling in for the grandmaster.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: